How prevalent is Typhoid Fever in Guat?

BonnieVA

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Guatemala many times over the last 5 years for humanitarian work - spending weeks in the country. Your risk is very low for typhoid. But - you definitely want your Hep A AND Hep B - just to be safe!

Have a good trip - I love Guatemala and think the country is beautiful.

Sherri

I have been to Guatemala many times over the last 5 years for humanitarian work - spending weeks in the country. Your risk is very low for typhoid. But - you definitely want your Hep A AND Hep B - just to be safe!

Have a good trip - I love Guatemala and think the country is beautiful.

Sherri

Thanks for your input. I feel much better now (since we decided to not get that vaccination!). I admit the CDC web site freaked me out when I saw they mentioned typhoid in central America & recommended vaccination.

We all got our Hep A shots last week. All our boys have the Hep B vaccs but dh & I didn't get that one ... we don't plan on having "relations" or sharing needles w/ anyone while we're there! And neither of the 2 travel clinics we went to recommended Hep B either. BUT, one clinic recommended typhoid while the other didn't :confused:.

Thanks for your input. I feel much better now (since we decided to not get that vaccination!). I admit the CDC web site freaked me out when I saw they mentioned typhoid in central America & recommended vaccination.

We all got our Hep A shots last week. All our boys have the Hep B vaccs but dh & I didn't get that one ... we don't plan on having "relations" or sharing needles w/ anyone while we're there! And neither of the 2 travel clinics we went to recommended Hep B either. BUT, one clinic recommended typhoid while the other didn't :confused:.

Wow, this had not even crossed our minds, never having been down there before. Thanks for the info; we will be calling our doctor tomorrow as we leave next Saturday on the Spirit.

Wow, this had not even crossed our minds, never having been down there before. Thanks for the info; we will be calling our doctor tomorrow as we leave next Saturday on the Spirit.

From everyone I've spoken w/, you should be just fine w/ NO travel vaccines. We just went ahead w/ the Hep A because (1) many here on CC get that one no matter where they go, & (2) I figured that one (after you get the booster shot in 9-12 months) will protect us for a good long time - even here in the US - so why not just get it!

If you are leaving next Sat you might be too close to potential exposure to make the vaccines worthwhile. From what I've been told, the Hep A shot needs to be given 2-4 (preferably 4) weeks beforehand. The typhoid needs 2 weeks.

But, after talking w/ so many who have travelled to central America & never gotten these vaccines, I believe you'll most likely be ok even w/out them.

Have fun on your cruise! We'll be getting on the Spirit right after you get off ... we leave April 5. We can't WAIT :D :D :D !!!

I think that people should speak with their doctors about shots before setting out on a cruise. On a cruise your risk is pretty low for anythng but we did consult two travel clinics on the advice of our doctor and both did advise getting a Typhoid shot for Guatemala ... and we did along with Hep A.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Thought I would mention, though, not about vaccines, but about mosquitos. The area is wet, jungley, and therefore prone to mosquitos. I have a friend, a native there, who got Dengue Fever. So wear bug repellant!!

Hi everyone.

Thought I would mention, though, not about vaccines, but about mosquitos. The area is wet, jungley, and therefore prone to mosquitos. I have a friend, a native there, who got Dengue Fever. So wear bug repellant!!

Thanks for the reminder.

• 6 months later...

I have been on several medical missions in Guatemala. Before the main clinic group arrives it is necessary to go, in the back of an old pickup, to remote little villages to do triage. Our organization reccomends tetnus and hep A for sure. Good bug repelant with deet is necessary. One time while we were doing triage we were invited into a little house for a closer look on how the poor live. The stove was just burning wood and no chimmney. The bed matress was plastic bags filled with old clothes and rags. Pigs were running loose in the general area. No one got sick. On a cruise you won't likely encounter the areas where it is possible to get typhoid or dengue fever. In the 10 years of the medical missions there has only been one case of dengue fever and no typhoid. As a precaution: do not eat street food, drink only bottled water, and wash your hands with sanitizer. Don't worry Guatemala is a beautiful country and you will have a very nice visit there.

Archived