Serving Size: Did you find them to be way too SMALL in the MDR?

kooljamming

I think they are perfect, you can always ask for more. :D

Now I see poor little Oliver Twist saying more please.:D

We like to eat in the buffet, but get small servings and if something is just to die for we can go back. We are from the clean your plate generation. I can speak for Mr Ula because we talk about this all the time. When not on a cruise you talk about the next cruise and food is important.

No matter where I am, I only eat when I am hungry. I don't care for snacks or desserts. When I get hungry, it's about feeding the beast within. Once I am full, food becomes my enemy and I am not tempted by it or care to have it.

What comes to mind for me is that in the US we have become accustomed to super-sized portions of our foods (I am guilty of this as well). It's no wonder that the obesity rate in the US is through the roof as we regularly dine on portions that can, and should, feed 2, 3, or some cases 4 people. From what I have read, in other countries, and also in finer restaurants, the portions are smaller, and actually closer to what a single portion is supposed to be.

What comes to mind for me is that in the US we have become accustomed to super-sized portions of our foods (I am guilty of this as well). It's no wonder that the obesity rate in the US is through the roof as we regularly dine on portions that can, and should, feed 2, 3, or some cases 4 people. From what I have read, in other countries, and also in finer restaurants, the portions are smaller, and actually closer to what a single portion is supposed to be.

Allegedly, the UK isn't far behind in the obesity rate; we may have even surpassed yours. I have to say though, after 3 days in Fort Lauderdale, that US portions are ginormous. I was amazed when ordering chicken, to get 2 whole chicken breasts on one plate. We also had the biggest taco nests I have EVER seen. I am currently trying to locate some in the UK, to recreate the meal for our friends who were with us.

Your food is very fresh and tasty; generally a better standard than the UK food outlets.

To avoid WASTE or avoid WAIST? ;)

I know what you meant, but either one works, and your typo made me laugh! Perhaps I could avoid more waist if I reduced my portion size too! :D

LMAO!!! I can't believe I did that! But you're right, it does sort of work either way, doesn't it? :)

Hi kooljamming

That would never fill me up either.I have been on Disney and Royal Carribean and they never served anything like that.

I am going on my first princess and if I am hungry-i will be sure to get some more.LOL

I love your Jamaica pics and your daughter is a beauty!

kooljamming

No breadrolls, salad was tiny, and I don't care much for desserts. I am a meat and potato gal. Keep in mind I am making comparison to meals I had on Carnival and RCCL. I am used to having ONE main dish enough as not to order extra, unless simply to try something different. I am not saying I went hungry and I did enjoy them. I just had to double-up for the first time.

The pic is of a seafood pastry.

Nothing different about portion sizes than at any High end restaurant. ever watch what they serve for dishes on IRON CHEF LOL.

Then too people order mulitple entrees to sample various things, big heaping plates would waste even more food than gets wasted now.

Order double, or tripple next time.

I was quite happy that Princess had made the portions a tiny bit smaller over the years. That way I could easily finish my appetizer, soup, salad, main course and dessert along with bread without feeling like I ate a whole week's worth of food in one sitting. If you're still hungry, ask for another helping. It is better than having food go to waste.

For the most part I enjoyed the meals. Well I enjoy most meals I don't have to cook or that is not wrapped in paper and served with fries:p. On Sapphire Princess I was disappointed with the serving size. I am a growing girl (back to front) and like my meals to land in my stomach and straighten my back, in ONE shot. The food landed well but without the extra jolt to the back.

This is not a meal for a growing girl:p

2224530390101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Have two or three? Indulge as much as you like! I have never heard of anyone not getting enough food on a cruise.

Well, I think that the portions are just vgetting down to the size that a "normal" person should have. If the "abnormal" person needs more just order another entree, or whatever - there is no extra charge!

We (DW and I) did a 31 day cruise and only gained about 1 pound each.

Ron

How do you eat like that and stay so slender? BTW, I have enjoyed looking through your photo albums-you have a great looking family!

I only eat when I am hungry, sometimes starving. I don't care for desserts or snacks. While I eat more in one sitting than the 'normal' person, I might consume less calories than the person who likes desserts and snacks. I have never gained more than 3 pounds on a cruise and sometimes as little as half of a pound. I don't eat for the sake of eating but when I am hungry, then watch out. I am consuming less calories than I need just at a different pace than nature meant for any human to do.

Another matter of personal choice. Kooljamming wants one big course, I like sampling small amounts from several courses or even 2 different entrees occasionally. We were on one cruise when a small lady at our table ate 4 lobster tails. Order as much as you like, Kooljamming!

With all the obesity problems, diabetes problems, heart problems, blood pressure problems associated with over-eating in America, I read a study recently where they compared dining in America to dining in France.

Among other bits of info, they discovered that the average American is 40% heavier than the average Frenchman.

They also discovered that the average American food portion is 40% larger than the average French food portion.

Do you see any connection with these numbers?

I think this is the first time I've ever heard of there not being enough food on a cruise. :p Each of the plates aren't too big, but by the time I have all the courses I am stuffed. If you're still hungry then you can always order more or else go to one of the other places throughout the ship with food.

For the most part I enjoyed the meals. Well I enjoy most meals I don't have to cook or that is not wrapped in paper and served with fries:p. On Sapphire Princess I was disappointed with the serving size. I am a growing girl (back to front) and like my meals to land in my stomach and straighten my back, in ONE shot. The food landed well but without the extra jolt to the back.

This is not a meal for a growing girl:p

2224530390101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Feel free to order as much of anything as you wish.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard of there not being enough food on a cruise. :p Each of the plates aren't too big, but by the time I have all the courses I am stuffed. If you're still hungry then you can always order more or else go to one of the other places throughout the ship with food.

No, I didn't say:D. I noticed the serving size was a bit on the smaller side than on previous trips with Carnival and RCCL. I don't care much for all the 'other' fillers. It was just an observation.

Here is Carnival lobster tail. I don't have a pic of Princess because I inhaled it before I could focus my camera lens:p Any report that I ordered more than one is highly exaggerated:D This is the meal for a growing girl.

Keep in mind I burn more than I consume.

2601449710101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

With all the obesity problems, diabetes problems, heart problems, blood pressure problems associated with over-eating in America, I read a study recently where they compared dining in America to dining in France.

Among other bits of info, they discovered that the average American is 40% heavier than the average Frenchman.

They also discovered that the average American food portion is 40% larger than the average French food portion.

Do you see any connection with these numbers?

Nope, because it mentioned the average American. I am not American and when it comes to eating I am anything but average:p

No breadrolls, salad was tiny, and I don't care much for desserts. I am a meat and potato gal. Keep in mind I am making comparison to meals I had on Carnival and RCCL. I am used to having ONE main dish enough as not to order extra, unless simply to try something different. I am not saying I went hungry and I did enjoy them. I just had to double-up for the first time.

The pic is of a seafood pastry.

Honestly, I think the entree portion sizes are fine; too large if anything. You have to consider that more of us enjoy having the other courses; appetizer, soup, salad, entree, desert. I think they keep that in mind when determining portion sizes.

If you don't order all the courses, no one would possibly question your desire to order two entrees anyway.

My story: I eat full course meals the first ten days of a long cruise. After that, I'm often skiping lunch and eating only soup and salad and for dinner and still feeling full all the time. I'm a standard sized guy, but not used to eating like that.

Although when ordering appetizer, soup, salad & 1 main course, occasionally the main course isn't sufficient because of size the only reason I hardly ever order another is because I'm not willing to wait for the waiter to get it as most people are leaving to to get to the show lounge to get a seat. I've now learned that certain items are an the skimpy side & will ask for extra up front... like the lamb chops, salmon or a standard cut of their prime rib.

Me thinks you are too obsessed with food!

Me thinks you could be right:p:p

Carnival Midnight Buffet.

I don't eat after certain time, impossible for me to sleep.

I like to be surrounded by water however I can't swim. I like to be surround my food, yet I eat ONLY when I am really hungry.

2040241020101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Me thinks you could be right:p:p

Carnival Midnight Buffet.

I don't eat after certain time, impossible for me to sleep.

I like to be surrounded by water however I can't swim. I like to be surround my food, yet I eat ONLY when I am really hungry.

2040241020101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

OMG WOW!

I never saw anything like that on the Emerald. Hope that's not something else I missed :eek:

Archived