Serving Size: Did you find them to be way too SMALL in the MDR?

kooljamming

You took the words right out of my mouth! No wonder the U.S. has the most obese people in the world. These are not my words but those of some European cruise companions observing what was being consumed, and in what huge portion sizes, on a recent Princess cruise! She was absolutely horrified.:eek:

If you're in traditional dining just let the waiter know and it will be on the table waiting for you each night.:D

(I think the Pacific only has traditional)

YES, we are... When we were on the Galaxy everybody shared what they were eating.. it was so much fun..we had an incredible table.. On the Century we had a large table, three women (sisters) whose main purpose was to drink wine...one often never came down to dinner, a Southern gentleman who ordered for his wife (second) and another couple where the husband did not like to wear a jacket and she would often eat alone....and there we wee dressed to the "nines"..lol

With all the obesity problems, diabetes problems, heart problems, blood pressure problems associated with over-eating in America, I read a study recently where they compared dining in America to dining in France.

Among other bits of info, they discovered that the average American is 40% heavier than the average Frenchman.

They also discovered that the average American food portion is 40% larger than the average French food portion.

Do you see any connection with these numbers?

I am taking a nutrition class now and we have been discussing this a lot. I just did a paper on restaurant meals. If you look at the calorie content on restaurant websites it is astonishing. Then you see that the plate they are giving you is really 2 - 4 servings.

But if they were to shrink the portion size, then the customers would complain.

When we go out to a restaurant that serves large portions, we take half of it home.

I am glad that Princess serves smaller portions. If I get hungry later I can always grab something from the buffet. :)

I like the portion sizes though I'd agree they have been reduced over the past few years. One of things I enjoy most about cruising is the chance to try different things, the reasonable portions allow me to have 2 appetizers and not fear I won't be able to finish my meal (although it's still a struggle sometimes!).

I think there is enough waste on a ship (can anyone say paper waste?? all the ads alone, I really hope they recycle), and not wasting food seems like a good idea to me.

On the flip side, it would help to know what to expect in terms of portions. On our first visit to the dining room for breakfast, my DH failed to order a variety of items and sat there waiting while the rest of us ate through the courses of fruit and cereal, and was then disappointed by the size of his (sole) main course.

We have not sailed Princess before, but are scheduled on the Pacific Princess 4/10 so I haVE nothing to compare...yet. One of the things we do enjoy is a fruit/cheese platter for the table before our meal.. wonder if Princess will go along with this.

I was making a comparison from years of cruising. Cruising is changing, so portion size is a good change to avoid waste and waist. For people who wish to eat their was from sea in order to see land, it will be about double and triple orders. If you are from a time when more was presented on a plate, and you still need those bigger portions, then this information might be helpful.

Everyone thanks for the most part for NOT turning this thread in Americans are too FAT in the first place discussion.

I like the portion sizes though I'd agree they have been reduced over the past few years. One of things I enjoy most about cruising is the chance to try different things, the reasonable portions allow me to have 2 appetizers and not fear I won't be able to finish my meal (although it's still a struggle sometimes!).

I think there is enough waste on a ship (can anyone say paper waste?? all the ads alone, I really hope they recycle), and not wasting food seems like a good idea to me.

On the flip side, it would help to know what to expect in terms of portions. On our first visit to the dining room for breakfast, my DH failed to order a variety of items and sat there waiting while the rest of us ate through the courses of fruit and cereal, and was then disappointed by the size of his (sole) main course.[/quote]

BINGO:p

I think portion size has gotten smaller since my first cruise, but I look at it as a good thing. I used to hate waste and I used to not finish my meal, because I like to try a bunch of small tastes. Now I can have app, soup, salad, main, dessert, and bread and not feel guilty at all! Although in the dining room at lunch the size of the pasta was teeny tiny...I'm wondering if it's more of an appetizer than a main? I think the key is to either order double portion of what you want or order one of each "course".

On the Chef's table, you get the opposite problem...they stuff you until you have to roll to your cabin! :)

As my hubby and I get older, we find we cannot eat as much in a single seating. The portion sizes on the ships are just fine with us. We seldom order all the courses, either. Maybe the smaller sizes are to cater to the older people on the ship.

Once in a while I'll order two salads or maybe two appetizers but that is all.

Archived