Best way to reserve table for two in Main Dining rooms?

Sushi

Who do I see about reservations in the Main dining rooms?

We would like a table for two nightly, if we decide to try a specialty restaurant then we can cancel. I don't like hassles, by evening I'm in a fair amount of pain and I don't like sitting/standing around waiting for anything. Not trying to be snooty or a b@#$h ..... I've allowed my disability to keep me from cruising for ten years ... :(

Who do I see about reservations in the Main dining rooms?

We would like a table for two nightly, if we decide to try a specialty restaurant then we can cancel. I don't like hassles, by evening I'm in a fair amount of pain and I don't like sitting/standing around waiting for anything. Not trying to be snooty or a b@#$h ..... I've allowed my disability to keep me from cruising for ten years ... :(

as far as I know they don't have ressies for the main dining rooms, it's all first come basis - Free Style, eat when and where you want.

Unless you want to reserve a table in the main dining rooms for a group -then I don't think you can make reservations there. Guess this is what 'Freestyle' is all about.

My last cruise I did make a reservation for a main dining room. Only because on the first day we were walking around looking at the restaurants and checking menus and the hostess offered to make us a reservation. But the other poster is right that it is highly unusual. Tables for two are fairly easy and my only advice to you would be to go early or late, not during the prime dining hour. You shouldn't have a problem. I never have - my only wait (15 mins.) was when I arrived at the dining room at 7 pm. We usually go by 6:00 or after the first show.

You can in fact make reservations for the main dining room but not for the most popular time frame. Which ship are you on since that makes a difference how accessible the dining room is. for instance on the Star you have to go to deck 6 if you are in a WC because of the stairs from deck 7 into the dining room, and there is only ONE elevator out of a bank of them there that goes to six, so you have to wait for THAT ONE to stop for you. once on six you go through a side entrance to the bottom of the stairs where unfortunately you have to wait for someone to notice you there. Once they do they are quick to get you seated reservation or not. also while they have portable ramps to get up to the one step up seating, the only on level seating is at the very back of the dining room.

Should not be a problem to just show up. Rare that I ever see a line in either room. Avoid the "rush hour" before a show, or right after a show. Also, depending on the port and schedules, there is a bit of a rush just as the ship is departing.

Again, it is rare you have to wait more than a few minutes.

You can in fact make reservations for the main dining room but not for the most popular time frame. Which ship are you on since that makes a difference how accessible the dining room is. for instance on the Star you have to go to deck 6 if you are in a WC because of the stairs from deck 7 into the dining room, and there is only ONE elevator out of a bank of them there that goes to six, so you have to wait for THAT ONE to stop for you. once on six you go through a side entrance to the bottom of the stairs where unfortunately you have to wait for someone to notice you there. Once they do they are quick to get you seated reservation or not. also while they have portable ramps to get up to the one step up seating, the only on level seating is at the very back of the dining room.

This is really fabulous information! You should throw this in the http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885977 thread, too, with your other post! :)

Hey guys, Sushi asked a reasonable question. Just because we haven't had to wait for a table for 2 does not mean it could not happen to him. He is trying to prepare knowing how he will feel by dinner time.

It did happen to us on the last night on Dawn in January and we did room service which was not a good alternative when I had my eye set on the roast.

I think the best bet would be to go to the reservation desk when you arrive and explain about your pain and your wanting a standing reservation for two at a certain time at the main restaurant that is closest to your cabin, and find out about accessibility. At your first appearance at this dining room the hostess will remember you and immediately seat you would be my bet.

If you are in a suite you can have your butler serve you course by course from any restaurant on the ship (surcharges apply). There is room service, limited menu unless you are in a suite, also, but that is not the same as going down to the dining room, is it?

I read some of your other posts and gather that you will be on Dawn to Bermuda. Many people eat on land there, so the port days will probably not be a problem.

Hey guys, Sushi asked a reasonable question. Just because we haven't had to wait for a table for 2 does not mean it could not happen to him. He is trying to prepare knowing how he will feel by dinner time.

Did I miss something? Who said it was unreasonable? I think hearing our experiences would be comforting.

But, yes, as I think about it, I would suggest Sushi see the Maitre D' on the first day and ask for a standing reservation.

We're all just trying to help as best we can. :cool:

I was just reminded of something by my sister who cruises with me. That one time we did have a reservation for one of the MDRs (The Magenta on the Gem) was also the only time we have had to have a buzzer and waited for about 10 minutes because it was for 7:00 (fortunately, bar central is right around the corner so we waited very comfortably sitting on a sofa rather than standing). So, whether or not you succeed in getting a reservation (which is worth a try), I suggest you still shoot for an early time. The reservation cut our wait time, but didn't eliminate it - it was sort of the way call-ahead seating works at land-based restaurants - it pushed us ahead in the line, but we still waited for a table to free up.

We have used the services of the disability/access coordinator for NCL to help us make arrangements for my mother who has mobility challenges. I have never been so impressed. Emailed questions were responded to almost immediately. They made arrangements for her needs which were appropriate and thoughtful. We didn't think of making arrangements for the restaurant in advance, but I now wish that we had. Have you tried calling/emailing? I don't know if they will accomodate you for restaurants, but I think that it is reasonable to request facilitated seating to limit your waiting time. The lineups for us on the Star last fall, for example, would snake up the stairways and the wait time would be very long. I would have my mother wait in the room (not far away) and send my DD to retrieve her when the table was ready, but making prior arrangements would have been much better.

I note, however, that the excellent care from the access coordinator did not result in positive experiences at the Vancouver cruise terminal (where we waited for around 3 hours for a wheelchair although one was ordered-- although then embarkation was a breeze) and disembarking in LA was horrific as the guests on wheelchairs had to dodge around disembarking passengers and then we were abandoned for quite some time as ship crew are not allowed to transport guests pass the gangway. The Sun (my mother wasn't with us on that one) had a special disembarkation time for guests in wheelchairs and this made much, much more sense.

Did I miss something? Who said it was unreasonable? I think hearing our experiences would be comforting.

But, yes, as I think about it, I would suggest Sushi see the Maitre D' on the first day and ask for a standing reservation.

We're all just trying to help as best we can. :cool:

Thanks for thinking about it. I only meant that most responders were saying that there would not be a problem, and that is probably true. But if you are in pain, the one time it did not work would create lots of fatigue and more pain. That' s all I was saying. Please pardon me if it sounded as if I meant that all the responses were unreasonable! I just meant, get real. It could happen, so he should be prepared. After all, that's why he posted the question in the first place.

I didn't know there was a disability/access coordinator. That is even a better bet! Let the coordinator work with the hostess to get them a standing res.

Thank you all for the wonderful info.

We're hoping to sail on the Dawn in May of 2010. I was pleased to see so many HC Cabins. I have what is called a "failed back syndrome", I walk with a rollator for long distances but my DH's arm is my main support.

We're early eaters anyway, so I don't see a problem about getting a table.

Thank you all for the wonderful info.

We're hoping to sail on the Dawn in May of 2010. I was pleased to see so many HC Cabins. I have what is called a "failed back syndrome", I walk with a rollator for long distances but my DH's arm is my main support.

We're early eaters anyway, so I don't see a problem about getting a table.

Sushi- this is a completely different angle. Make sure you go to your CC meet & greet (if there isn't a roll call already or by the time you book, start one). The concierge is usually one of the "big dogs" to show up there. Make a point of getting to know him, and ask him your question and fill him in on the situation. I would bet it could be taken care of before the meet & greet was over. Of course, if you are in a suite or higher, you would have the services of the concierge anyway. The concierges I've met really earn their tips!

Thanks for thinking about it. I only meant that most responders were saying that there would not be a problem, and that is probably true. But if you are in pain, the one time it did not work would create lots of fatigue and more pain. That' s all I was saying. Please pardon me if it sounded as if I meant that all the responses were unreasonable! I just meant, get real. It could happen, so he should be prepared. After all, that's why he posted the question in the first place.

I didn't know there was a disability/access coordinator. That is even a better bet! Let the coordinator work with the hostess to get them a standing res.

I agree 100% - that was great information to learn! :)

Archived