Solstice Coffee

av01bps

I am a dedicated Starbucks, black- no sugar, lots of coffee all day kind of person. Will I be "happy" on the Solstice? Or "sad" (because it's weaker). Or "poor" because I am going to the cafe where they charge for coffees?

I realize this is a bit petty, but would love to hear comments from other coffee fiends.

Is the coffee more like:

Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

Tim Hortons or McDonalds?

Office machine or twenty-years-ago-college-hall-machine-where-the-coffee-could-be-lightened

diner-coffee or fine dining coffee

airplane-coffee or still-cold-on-my-desk-but-I'll-drink-it-anyway

Amy

We bring a couple pounds (16 nights) of Freshly ground coffee with us and make our own French Press coffee in the morning and in the afternoon. It is super easy to make and as strong as you like it.

garardo

We find we are always dispointed with ship's coffee. We are not starbucks fans and prefer a more mellow coffee. Don't mind paying for a good cup once in a while but for morning on the balcony we too pack our own brand and a french press- nothing better!

Bev

My friend just got off the Solstice and is a coffee person like I am and said it was a little better than the Century, but not much. Yes, he was referring to Cafe Baccio. You will be disappointed over GOOD coffee to go. We always are with Celebrity. But, I do hope Solstice has improved on this.

The French press idea sounds good... how do you get hot enough water?

We bring a couple pounds (16 nights) of Freshly ground coffee with us and make our own French Press coffee in the morning and in the afternoon. It is super easy to make and as strong as you like it.

garardo

I will so do this! Do you order hot water for tea from room service?!? What a brilliant idea!

To use the french press we just order a pot of hot water from room service. Yes, it is hot enough, water should be less than boiling for a french press. We used it on our last cruise and it worked out so well. One of our stops was Jamacia, I bought coffee and brewed some when we got back to the ship.

You can find lots of different french press's at Target, ours was around $10 packed in a small box with bubble wrap. I keep it that way for traveling.I packed some filters to use to dispose of the used grounds .

At least this way your guaranteed good coffee,

Bev

To use the french press we just order a pot of hot water from room service. Yes, it is hot enough, water should be less than boiling for a french press. We used it on our last cruise and it worked out so well. One of our stops was Jamacia, I bought coffee and brewed some when we got back to the ship.

You can find lots of different french press's at Target, ours was around $10 packed in a small box with bubble wrap. I keep it that way for traveling.I packed some filters to use to dispose of the used grounds .

At least this way your guaranteed good coffee,

Bev

Brilliant idea! I may have to do this! I have to have good coffee:)

Sorry I did not tell you all about the water.

I find that the water that comes via room service is not hot enough for us. This is what we do. The wife gets the carafe out and puts in the coffee. I run up to the buffet area. There is a spiget with really hot water there. I fill the carafe with the water grab a few coffee cups and get a window table. ( We always book an inside cabin, I'm cheap) The wife showes up when right after the coffee is brewed. Maybe there are a few pastries available and we enjoy.

garardo

I am a dedicated Starbucks, black- no sugar, lots of coffee all day kind of person. Will I be "happy" on the Solstice? Or "sad" (because it's weaker). Or "poor" because I am going to the cafe where they charge for coffees?

I realize this is a bit petty, but would love to hear comments from other coffee fiends.

Is the coffee more like:

Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

Tim Hortons or McDonalds?

Office machine or twenty-years-ago-college-hall-machine-where-the-coffee-could-be-lightened

diner-coffee or fine dining coffee

airplane-coffee or still-cold-on-my-desk-but-I'll-drink-it-anyway

Amy

I love Seatle's Best cappachino and on Royal Caribbean Freedom class they have a machine in the Diamond club that is free. Is there anything like that on the Solistice?

Starbucks decafe is bitter to me and Seatle's Best decafe is great!

In a pinch I will drink a McDonald's cappachino.

Irene

I love Seatle's Best cappachino and on Royal Caribbean Freedom class they have a machine in the Diamond club that is free. Is there anything like that on the Solistice?

Starbucks decafe is bitter to me and Seatle's Best decafe is great!

In a pinch I will drink a McDonald's cappachino.

Irene

No... it is one of the things I don't like about Celebrity. I love the coffee on Royal. All the ships have the Seattle's Best Cafe Lattetudes:D I think they do a very good job with coffee to go... YUM! It's what we miss the most when we sail Celebrity.

That surprises me that the quality of the coffee is a problem. I consistently read that X has good quality food, but the coffee not being up to par. That baffles me, it really should not be that hard to brew decent coffee. To me, that is just as important as the quality of the food.

Does anyone know if the Solstice offers "Cappucino Cards"? You pay upfront and then each time you order a specialty coffee they punch your card. I believe there are 8-12 per card on the Princess card.

No, no coffeecards on Celebrity :(

That surprises me that the quality of the coffee is a problem. I consistently read that X has good quality food, but the coffee not being up to par. That baffles me, it really should not be that hard to brew decent coffee. To me, that is just as important as the quality of the food.

Maybe the quality itself is not that bad, but what was served was "decent". Some people like it more strong,maybe.

I was expecting coffee on Century to be undrinkable, based on the opinions expressed here. I was pleasantly surprised - no, it was not Starbucks quality (if you want that, then go to Cova cafe) but it was drinkable and had a discernible coffee taste. Reminded me somewhat of the Folgers we brew at work. I think they might have put something else in it like chicory maybe? Room service coffee was hot and pretty decent, as was coffee at Aqua Spa. Had a good cup of decaf at Islands Bistro. Like other food options imo, Islands Buffet was the least appealing.

That's good to hear. I drink starbucks because it is convenient, but they are not my first choice if I'm buying an americano. Their coffee is sometimes too strong or burnt tasting to me. I am fine with coffee that is s/w weak.

I'm having to cut way back on the clothes & shoes I wish to bring, so if I can get by without packing coffee so much the better.

Archived