Video of the incident on my "WOW" post

lizardhowson

I read this story, then clicked on the BBC's link and saw the actual video. I think there was some confusion as to the number of passengers that fell into the water. The corrected version is that ONE passenger fell into the water and 3 crew members jumped in to help him. Pretty interesting video, seeing those lines all "snap" and that ship drifting away from the dock!!:eek::eek: Glad no one was seriously hurt...:eek:

This is a chilling video, it clearly shows that sometimes when a ship cannot make it to all scheduled ports there is clearly a reason. Passenger and crew safety should always supercede following a scheduled itinerary. I am sure that the people that went into the water will never forget such a harrowing experience.

I definitely think there is a lesson to be learned by viewing this footage.

This is a chilling video, it clearly shows that sometimes when a ship cannot make it to all scheduled ports there is clearly a reason. Passenger and crew safety should always supercede following a scheduled itinerary. I am sure that the people that went into the water will never forget such a harrowing experience.

I definitely think there is a lesson to be learned by viewing this footage.

EXCELLENT points!!!!!

Bunny, thanks for posting the link.

This is a chilling video, it clearly shows that sometimes when a ship cannot make it to all scheduled ports there is clearly a reason. Passenger and crew safety should always supercede following a scheduled itinerary. I definitely think there is a lesson to be learned by viewing this footage.

I completely agree. People complain about missing ports due to rough seas or high winds...this is why! And this was a dock port, not a tender! I imagine that the port is going to see a hefty lawsuit coming their way. I am just thankful that the man is okay. Those complainers should watch this and realize that why yes sometimes it stinks to have to miss a port -- a man is in the hospital and it could have easily been much worse if more than one person was walking down the gangplank at the time.

The same thing happened on my cruise in 07 on RCL Brilliance of the Seas's. We were docked in Civitavechia and the moorings broke, the gang plank fell into the water, and the boat still being attached in the front of the ship, started floating out into the port and tilting on its side. Luckily, most of all the passengers where out in rome, so there wasn't much damage. All the liquor bottles in the pool bar fell over, and when we got back to the ship, we didnt know anything had happened, however, we saw the workers with scuba equipement trying to retrieve the gangplank from the merky water. See for your self..

The same thing happened on my cruise in 07 on RCL Brilliance of the Seas's. We were docked in Civitavechia and the moorings broke, the gang plank fell into the water, and the boat still being attached in the front of the ship, started floating out into the port and tilting on its side. Luckily, most of all the passengers where out in rome, so there wasn't much damage. All the liquor bottles in the pool bar fell over, and when we got back to the ship, we didnt know anything had happened, however, we saw the workers with scuba equipement trying to retrieve the gangplank from the merky water. See for your self..

Wow that would have been scary!

OMG!!! What an amazing video!!!:eek::eek:

WOW :eek: That gave me goose bumps just seeing it! I agree Graham this does indeed give a better appreciation for those times when it's just not possible to safely dock due to weather. I go with the flow and none of that bothers me and I suspect if more people saw these videos and read these stories they'd understand as well.

Archived