Sharm El Sheikh-St. Catherines Monastery

tiggypooo

We are taking that excursion on the April 7 Hong Kong-Athens cruise - if you are on a later cruise, I can give you our thoughts when we return. If you are on the same cruise, all I can say is there must be time or they wouldn't offer it. Yes, it will be a loooong day on a bus but, for me, this is my one and only opportunity and I want to give it a whirl. I never thought I would have the chance. I guess it depends on how much you would like to see it.

We did an Athens to Mahe trip with Renaissance on one of their 114 passenger ships back in 10/2000. One of the stops was Sharm El Scheik (not sure if that's spelled correctly) and we chose to go visit St. Catherine's. It was an absolutely wonderful trip. We couldn't dock and for some reason they didn't tender, so we walked across slats of wood on top of floating barrels to get from the ship to the busses.

Once we boarded the busses, we headed out on a highway that followed the coastline for a while before it went inland. All of the feeder roads coming into that highway were blocked by police and none of the residents were allowed on the road until our tour busses had passed. We also had armed guards on each bus.

The ride through the desert is exquisitely beautiful. Rock formations of all colors, and back then (and probably still now) there was nothing but natural beauty and an occasional bedouin campsite. Not much traffic on the roads and the busses went very fast.

The monastery is small and quaint. We were allowed to go inside the chapel and the library which we were told was unusual access. We also got to see what they said was the burning bush. They do adhere to a strict dress code, so long pants were required, as were covered arms and a head covering of some kind.

There was a hotel of some type close by and we had a buffet lunch there before heading back.

On the way back, our bus stopped at a bedouin campsite and we got off to purchase handmade beaded jewelry. The residents came out of their tents and even the children ran around excited to see strangers.

This is a trip not to be missed. It ranks in the top five of the most beautiful places on earth in our opinion. It is so stark and in my 68 years, I've never seen anything like it.

It's definitely worth the long drive.

Hi capecodder......... I have people on that cruise, on the same date.

Please watch for the Scottish guy with the bagpipes. You sure won't miss those.

They are quite keen on this excursion, but didn't know if the short time in port would be worth doing that long drive.

Only someone that's done it would know that it's worth it..........and that's where I say thank you so much to freckles.

The description that you gave, makes me want to jump on the ship and join them.

I will send it to them and I'm sure that they'll take it after reading that.

Again thanx..

Thank you Freckles1 for that fabulous review - now I really can't wait. My husband, who isn't as excited about all this as I am, is more interested since I read him your thoughts.

Tiggypoo, I will look for the Scottish man with the bagpipes. Three weeks from Friday and we are off!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

we are on your trip also. I have been looking at the monestary trip but my husband is also not interested, he wants togo snorkelling, so I may end up doing it myself.

Definetly want to see the guy with the bagpipes, hope he plays them well!!

regards julie

Hi Julie,

By all means, come on the excursion by yourself if necessary. I do it many times when DH doesn't want to go. I will do the Cairo Pyramid tour alone because I want to see Memphis and Sakkara which I haven't been to before. DH says he has seen the Giza pyramids, that is enough. I don't mind. I did Macchu Picchu in Peru "alone", too. He had a great time on the ship and I loved my excursion.

Sally

Archived