US Direct for 2009?

emilygrace

Has anyone heard if they are going to have the US Direct program in Vancouver this year? The last few years we've flown in and out of Seattle but this time we are flying directly to Vancouver and were hoping to do the US Direct and avoid the immigration and customs lines.

And if they ARE going to have it, do you know when it starts?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes US Direct will be back in Vancouver - likely not starting until the end of May, as the beginning of the season is slower with mainly local cruisers.

Just remember, all your luggage must be tagged with the Cruise Line tags BEFORE leaving your first destination. The luggage must arrive in Vancouver with the tags to be automatically transfered to the port.

Hope this helps.

We are on a HAL cruise disembarking on May 16. Understand how US Direct works, but if it has NOT started by then, we will do HAL's Signature Express Baggage Service, which will provide us our boarding passes and take our luggage the night before and we will pick it up at our home airport. The charge is about $16 pp. Any thoughts on taking our own transportation - cab/limo to airport or using ship's transfers.

thanks!

On May 16th there are 3 ships in port, 2 inlcuding yours at Canada Place...there will be little question that US Direct will be up and running by then. However on the off chance it wasn't a cab will cost you about $35, a limo about $10 more and then there is the Airporter. One note on Vancouver cabs, almost all have been downsized to that of compact cars so they will only take to 2 to 3 pax max.

Would a flight leaving YVR at noon be possible if US Direct is used?

I'll be on the Island Princess August 31 which is in port at 7:30.

Thanks!

With using US Direct that noon flight will be very doable. You will sign up for it at the Pax Service Desk soon after you board and does require using a Princess transfer...have a great cruise.:)

• 3 weeks later...

If using US Direct what would be the earliest flight time possible? What about 11:03am? We're not sailing until next year and the Spirit returns to Canada Place on a Tuesday - which may be an advantage.....

If using US Direct what would be the earliest flight time possible? What about 11:03am? We're not sailing until next year and the Spirit returns to Canada Place on a Tuesday - which may be an advantage.....

Cruise Lines tend to say not earlier than 12:30 but there is a little fudge room in that....but not 11:03. In fact 11:03 would be all but impossible even if you could self-disembark and there was a cab or limo waiting with your name on it. Look for a flight after 12:30 and take the stress out of your connection.:)

Thanks for all the responses!

I have found a couple more options. One at noon and another at 12:20pm that will get me back to TPA the same day :)

I hope these are still available when I am able to book for September 2010 travel.

Our flight comes in at 11:00 PM the night before (YVR) our cruise, so we can't use US Direct. Is it going to take us long at that hour to go through customs?? Its going to be a long day as it is, not that I am complaining..lol..its vacation! We will have our two kids with us. Do they actually go in your luggage, ect??

Our flight comes in at 11:00 PM the night before (YVR) our cruise, so we can't use US Direct. Is it going to take us long at that hour to go through customs?? Its going to be a long day as it is, not that I am complaining..lol..its vacation! We will have our two kids with us. Do they actually go in your luggage, ect??

They could go thru your luggage but it is highly unlikely. A reasonable time allowance from the time your plane pulls up to the gate to the time you get to customs, clear customs, pick up your luggage and get into a cab is 30/45 mins. Your trip to downtown will take about 25/30 mins at that time of night. The one thing to be aware of is that Vancouver cabs for the most part have been downsized to compact cars so to get 2 adults and 2 children with luggage into one will by very difficult. If there is not a full sized cab or van available you may want to consider and limo. Cab fare will be about $35 and limo about $10 more. Here is a limo link for you:

www.limojetgold.com/

Putterdude, Thanks so much for the info! I noticed that you went on the Princess/Diamond, that is the ship we are going on! How was she?

It is a lovely ship, she is big without feeling big, she is easy to get around on and for various reasons is probably our favourite.:)

• 3 weeks later...

We will be sailing out of Vancouver on Sat 5/16 as well but on Sapphire Princess. We are hoping to be able to do US Direct. I've have a question concerning it though. Putterdude, maybe you'll know the answer. Both our travel agent and 2 Princess reps told us that as long as our Princess luggage tags are on our suitcases when we leave our airport of origin that they we won't see them again until they are delivered to our stateroom. My question is, if there are 30 people on our plane going on Sapphire Princess but only 20 are using US Direct and the Princess Shuttle, how do the baggage handlers at YVR know which bags are to be put on the carousel for customs and which ones are to be placed on the suttles and taken directly to the ship?

If they would give a tag that said US Direct or something, I would feel much more comfortable but am a bit apprehensive if we do US Direct, our luggage may still be spinning around the baggage carousel while we are doing our muster drill.

Any help, info or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You will need to purchase the Princess Transfer to the ship and Princess E-Z Luggage Valet which has a distinguishable luggage tag for the baggage handlers. Now please remember, I don't use US Direct but in other airports I have always found Princess personnel there to help and guide you.

Someone posted on the RCCL board that they spoke to the authority that is in charge of US Direct and it won't be available until May 30th. So if you are sailing before then be prepared that it might not be available and you will need alternative methods.

Someone posted on the RCCL board that they spoke to the authority that is in charge of US Direct and it won't be available until May 30th. So if you are sailing before then be prepared that it might not be available and you will need alternative methods.

I read something similar on the HAL board; I will contact the Port of Vancouver on Monday to see what's up. Sometime cruiselines' call centres don't even know what the US Direct program is.:)

Here's a re-post from 4/29 regarding our arrival and disembarkation in Vancouver on May 16.

Received e-mail today from Zuiderdam Pier Supervisor - Vancouver Shore Operations (a credible source):

"Thank you for your interest in the US Direct program. It is an excellent service. I am sorry you will not be able to use this program for your sailing. Unfortunately, our US Direct program will not be in operation until May 30th."

According to HAL (reservations dept), Signature Express Baggage will be available - but of course will only know for sure when we're on board.

Yes this is the post I saw and was referring to. I find it a bit surprising as we are now into the Alsaka Cruise season and by the middle of the month we are hard into it....so I am going to check with the Port tomorrow and try to get further information.

I actually just spoke to a Princess representative who was very knowledgeable concerning the US Direct Program. He stated that the program will definitely be available on May 16 for our cruise. He stated that his brother actually works for the US Direct program and that he is positive it will be available for our use. And he also answered my question concerning the baggage handling - I wasn't sure how the baggage handlers knew which luggage went to the carousels and which went directly to the shuttle buses. He said they sit all cruise luggage aside when getting it off the plane. Then the baggage handlers have a list of those with cruise shuttle transfers - which normally use US Direct. He said if you do not use US Direct but are using the Princess shuttle, that you may wait a while for your luggage at the airport because it will go to the US Direct area first, they will check to make sure you showed up for the program and if not, they will send it back down to baggage claims/customs. I was very impressed on how much he knew even with the brother working for the program.

Archived