Delta carry on luggage

pnut362

this will be the first time flying that my husband and I have used carry on luggage - and are doing so because of all of these baggage fees...

my question is: delta allows one carry on and one "personal item" per person. They describe "personal items" as:

Personal Items

You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:

• Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
  • Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
  • Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

Other Carry-on Items Allowed

You may also bring these items onboard. They do not count toward your personal item.

• Food items for immediate consumption
  • Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches
  • One box or bag of duty free merchandise
  • A coat, jacket, or umbrella

what i am wondering is i have my carry on and would also like to take my camera bag. however, my camera bag is a backpack style bag and I am wondering if they would consider this being too large to be a personal item. The backpack is 16" x 10" x 9". Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

Thanks is advance for your help!

this will be the first time flying that my husband and I have used carry on luggage - and are doing so because of all of these baggage fees...

my question is: delta allows one carry on and one "personal item" per person. They describe "personal items" as:

Personal Items

You're allowed one personal item from this sample list:

• Purses, briefcases, camera cases, and diaper bags
  • Laptop computers (can’t be checked and must be carried on)
  • Items of a similar or smaller size to those above

Other Carry-on Items Allowed

You may also bring these items onboard. They do not count toward your personal item.

• Food items for immediate consumption
  • Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches
  • One box or bag of duty free merchandise
  • A coat, jacket, or umbrella

what i am wondering is i have my carry on and would also like to take my camera bag. however, my camera bag is a backpack style bag and I am wondering if they would consider this being too large to be a personal item. The backpack is 16" x 10" x 9". Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

Thanks is advance for your help!

It really depends on the people working at Delta and if they enforce it. If the plane is half empty, you have a better chance of getting it on. If the plane is sold out, you would probably have to check it. Keep in mind a carry-on maximum size is 45 inches and your backpack 35 inches so it would probably count as 2 carry-ons. I have seen people get away with 2 oversize carry-ons as well as being told they need to check it in.

If you have a smaller backpack, you have a better chance of carring it on.

As Flyertalker would say "Do you feel lucky"

I fly mostly Delta out of Cincinnati and if you truly have only those two pieces you should be able to make it through. I have a carry-on suitcase and a large tote bag about the size of a school backpack that I frequently take as my personal item with no problems. However, the one time I had both those items and a very small purse I was not even allowed through security until I managed to cram the purse in the (stuffed) suitcase - lesson learned.:o

The additional luggage fees with Delta are a pain, but my DBF and I have decided to check one large bag with both our things combined in it, and each bring one carry-on bag. We figure the $15 (ok, $30 for the round trip) is partially offset by carrying sunscreen and other larger bottles/tubes of liquids/gels that we already have vs buying travel sizes, asking our cab to stop along the way or buying anything on the ship, as well as allowing us the room to pack a few more things.

Hope you have a great trip!

If any leg of your itinerary is on a regional jet one or both of your bags will be checked at the gate. There is very limited overhead storage on these planes. Just make certain that the bag you have your valuables in can be crammed under the seat in front of you.

I was on Delta a couple of weeks ago with a standard carryon that met the 45" limit and a very flexible tote that probably was even larger, but it was practically empty so it did fit under the seat.

Also be aware that there is a poundage limit too. I think it is forty pounds. Check the Delta web site to be sure. They did weigh carryons at one of my originating airports.

I hope this helps.

The depth of 9 inches takes this into the "carry-on" realm, rather than the "personal item", which is more of a briefcase size (maybe 6-7 inches thick).

As always, much is dependent on the gate agent, and I would be prepared to have this declared as two "carry-ons" and thus over the allowable limit - with the resultant baggage fee. Think about this....if you were thinking it might not be a "personal item", than there is a good chance that you'll find a gate agent thinking the exact same thing. Especially if you are on a full flight, or an RJ at any point.

Personally....skip trying to go with carry-on only. Pay the money - take a full suitcase and check it.

The depth of 9 inches takes this into the "carry-on" realm, rather than the "personal item", which is more of a briefcase size (maybe 6-7 inches thick).

As always, much is dependent on the gate agent, and I would be prepared to have this declared as two "carry-ons" and thus over the allowable limit - with the resultant baggage fee. Think about this....if you were thinking it might not be a "personal item", than there is a good chance that you'll find a gate agent thinking the exact same thing. Especially if you are on a full flight, or an RJ at any point.

Personally....skip trying to go with carry-on only. Pay the money - take a full suitcase and check it.

ok thanks for the info.. we are already both checking one large bag each and will try to just take my smaller camera bag as my personal item instead of the backpack. When we bought the tickets the luggage fees were 1st bag free, 2nd bag $50.. thats why we are trying to only check one large bag each..

so i can take a regular backpack as my personal item? with just some small paperback books, my ipod, and my paperwork in it?

so i can take a regular backpack as my personal item? with just some small paperback books, my ipod, and my paperwork in it?
Again, the determination of what is a "personal item" is vague, and at the ultimate discretion of the gate agent. What is "regular"? I've seen backpacks that are slim and about the size of a laptop plus a power brick and mouse. Maybe a couple of file folders too. Then, I've seen backpacks that look like they are getting ready to hike to the end of the earth.

Read what you see as examples of "personal item"....then compare those "mental pictures" to what you are carrying. Make your own judgment call using those guidelines, fully well knowing that it is a discretionary decision by the gate agent. Beyond that, there's not much more I can say. You are looking for black and white....there isn't any on this "item".

Archived