Quik Star Recap from 2/28 sailing

This was our second time to sail on the Star. We had two forward mini suites and were able to persuade our stewards to open the door between the balconies. Nice deep balconies and we spent alot of time there. The wind was only bad on the last two returning sea days. We also appreciated the extra square footage in the mini vs a standard balcony room. We had no problems either when we requested extra pillows.

We all enjoyed the food. The buffett was only used as a quick salad bar alternative if we didn't go to one of the main dining rooms. Room service was always fairly quick and BLT's and salads were great! We always tip room service but was surprised to find out (DH asked delivery person) that tipping for room service delivery is rare among the passengers. We'd always thought everyone tipped pretty much most of the time.

We took advantage of the Blue Lagoon for take out. DH got hooked on the chicken strips and blueberry cheesecake. (hint: tip one of your own kids to fetch stuff for you if you are snuggled in watching a movie in your cabin. ;))

We also watched a movie in the Cinema that was a first for us.

Family signed up for Murder Mystery Party but it was so loud in the dining room that we couldn't hear each other and just stashed everything away to play some night here at home.

The ship is gorgeous and huge especially once you get to walking around on all the decks/stairs.

We were surprised with how smooth our sailing was as just a month earlier we'd encountered very rough seas on another ship.

Things we did differently that we really enjoyed:

Super Shuttle! This is an awesome way to get quickly from airport/hotel and back again. Make sure you book on line/use discount codes and print out or write down your confirmation numbers to give to the drivers.

Flew in the day before. Stayed at the Doubletree San Pedro. The next morning I went on a walk and spotted dolphins in a little bay just west of the hotel. Beautiful morning, got to the ship around 1pm and absolutely no line and we were on board within 20 minutes.

We made our way to Versailles for lunch after boarding. This was a wonderful way to start our cruise. We've always just gone to the buffett so this was a new treat for us. The tilapia with a light lemon sauce was fabulous! If you do this on the first day you really have to fight the urge just to follow the crowds. The crew will not tell you about Versailles only the buffett.

We didn't go to any of the shows. We focused on the kids and enjoyed the White Hot party and a few nights of playing games/cards in Lifestyles Room.

We didn't buy any photos instead posed as a family a few times and asked a friendly crew member to snap our pictures. They turned out great.

We didn't make it to the roll call meet and greet as we slept in and hung out with the family. It would have been nice to meet other CC members though.

Family really utilized the gym (love the hard wood floor and the sun streaming in on late afternoons) I also used the outside walking/jogging track. 20 laps = 5 miles! I came home 1 pound down from when we left! DH didn't know about the charge for the spa pass and I found out toward the end of the cruise that he'd just been walking in and using the steam/sauna facilities and no one stopped him. I was very surprised - he was even more surprised to learn they now charge a fee for those areas.

We thought we'd finally been "caught" when the ship was delayed for several hours in Mazatlan and was late getting into PV. We'd booked the pirate ship on line and thought for sure we had missed our excursion. We were very relieved to find the pirates waiting for us as we walked off the ship. Apparently the Marigalante is now one of NCL's ship tours so they'd delayed the start of the excursion. (whew! although I am curious as to what the ship charged vs direct on line)

Some Green Bay Packers players were on board and my sons got quite a kick out of working out with them in the gym. Two of the football players were also on the pirate excusion and I have some great pictures of them playing catch/frisbee/volleyball with my boys.

PV has really developed their port area since we were there just two years ago. We were very impressed.

Another first for us is that we were the last ones off the ship. We took advantage of the 10:15 check out time. It was fun to sleep in, grab breakfast on the balcony and watch everyone streaming off the ship. So much more fun that getting up at the crack of dawn and then standing in line to debark. (We'd discussed our late check out the night before with our room stewards to make sure it wouldn't mess up their cleaning schedule and inconvenience them.) We also hauled our own bags off the ship. This was nice as we didn't have the chaos of packing and getting ready to leave the last night.

We had a low stress, very enjoyable cruise. Spent much of the last two sea days being lazy and napping.

Hi dyslexic pirate,

I forgot to ask you, was there any particular waitstaff that you really enjoyed and that made your meal a pleasant experience? We usually request a specific team once we find one that we like. If we can get some advance information, we can start it out right on the first night!

Thanks,

Julie

room service but was surprised to find out (DH asked delivery person) that tipping for room service delivery is rare among the passengers. We'd always thought everyone tipped pretty much most of the time.

Shame on those tight wads!! :mad:

We also watched a movie in the Cinema that was a first for us.

What was playing?

We focused on the kids and enjoyed the White Hot party and a few nights of playing games/cards in Lifestyles Room.

Is the white hot party for 18/21 and older only??

Another first for us is that we were the last ones off the ship. We took advantage of the 10:15 check out time.

Sooooo happy to hear about the 10:15 option as our flight isn't until 5:00pm so the longer we can stay on board = less time sitting in the airport!!

Thank you so much for posting. See my comments/questions above in pink.

Gina

My wife, and 2 young sons fly outta here (KC) this Friday am to LAX and will board the Star Saturday; I hope our cruise goes as smooth as yours. Sounds like you guys had a great vacation.

dm

Here is the link to your roll call if you would like to meet some of your fellow Cruise Critic passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747338

I'll be on her SATURDAY!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

My wife, and 2 young sons fly outta here (KC) this Friday am to LAX and will board the Star Saturday; I hope our cruise goes as smooth as yours. Sounds like you guys had a great vacation.

dm

Here is the link to your roll call if you would like to meet some of your fellow Cruise Critic passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747338

Yes, (thank you Eeyore!!) join us on the roll call. There is information about our meet and greet. We'd love for you to join us :)

I just put blueberry cheesecake on my list of things to try on the Star in 3 weeks!

Thanks for the review:)

Ditto here. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. This is a GREAT review and sounds like you had a wonderful and relaxing time. Thx so much for taking the time to post this for us

dm

Please remember to post when you return. We are always curious about the meals, what's free and what's not, WH party, and service in general. We'll be waiting.:)

will do; personally never been on a cruise, and the boys have never even been on an airplane, so I believe the whole trip will be quite interesting...

been lurking on these boards for several weeks; am going to log in to the roll call, just in time...

Probably the reason I chose NCL was freestyle dining, and the laidback atmosphere I detect on these boards. Also, my kids are on spring break, and frankly, I hope a lot of other kids are as well.

dm

Archived