Please Help- Sea Sickness??

xosweetiexo

Hello, I tried doing a search but didnt get much luck....

I heard Bonine is good- but I looked it up and it seems to cause drowsiness and I might not be able to take it and drink alcohol.

What other stuff do you recommend to prevent sea sickness?

Also, my fiance seems to think that since the AOS is so big, he is not going to get sea sick. Why would you chance getting sick? I think its crazy!

I heard Bonine is good- but I looked it up and it seems to cause drowsiness and I might not be able to take it and drink alcohol.

Also, my fiance seems to think that since the AOS is so big, he is not going to get sea sick. Why would you chance getting sick? I think its crazy!

I can tell you from me, I get sick very easy, and your fiance is right, he will not get sick, the ship is very big and you can not feel the movement at all. That has been my experience. I think he will be fine without the Bonine. And if there should be high seas then he ca take something.

We have taken mescaline(script from out MD) and have had no problems, not even in 12 foot seas. You need to start the day before you board. Neither of us have experienced any side effects.

BarbaB

We have taken mescaline(script from out MD) and have had no problems, not even in 12 foot seas. You need to start the day before you board. Neither of us have experienced any side effects.

BarbaB

I think you mean meclizine.

OP if you take it the night before, it might make you less drowsy than taking it during the day. It should not make you as drowsy as Dramamine. Try it out before you go.

You shouldn't feel much movement on the larger ships unless the weather is very bad.

Cruising in the Caribbean is like cruising in your bathtub, mostly. Now, if there is a storm brewing, it can get rough. Otherwise it is fairly calm & you don't feel like you are on water. If you are sailing in the Atlantic (or across the Pacific!) there is almost always a rough time. But, if you get car sick or air sick, etc, then it is much better to be safe than sorry. The seasick remedies work much better BEFORE you get sick. If you think you will get sick, take Bonine or equivalent before you leave home & take it the whole time you are cruising. If it does make you drowsy, take it just before bed. The drowsy effects wear off overnight, but the seasick prevention lasts 24 hours.

You can also get meclizine from the pharmacist without a prescription. It's much more cost effective than blister packs of Bonine and it's the same thing. I carry ginger tablets with me in case I get queasy.

I am very susceptible to motion sickness. I did get a bit woozy recently on the Voyager when it VERY rough. I was able to overcome it quite quickly with meclizine and ginger and sipping a ginger ale. It was so rough that we had missed a port and many outside areas were closed.

My friends traveling with me also have motion sickness problems and it didn't bother them.

BarbaB

Heh, mescaline won't help your nausea, but if you take it, you probably won't care. :D

I took ginger on our first cruise and then found I really didn't need it. My partner is susceptible to motion sickness and he wore a transderm patch, which is a prescription in the US and over-the-counter here in Canada. He thought it worked well but it gave him dry-mouth, a common side effect. He has also taken Bonamine and he says it does not make him drowsy in the least, and we do drink while onboard.

Hope this helps. I have heard the bonnie is free at guest services and in the medical center but have never needed it so I cannot confirm.

I usually take the TransDerm patches that you put behind your ear b/c I get very seasick. They keep me from getting sick, but I definitely get side effects--thirsty, dry throat and tired. We had high seas b/w San Juan and St. Martin on Liberty in December, and my bf got pretty sick--and it's a huge ship. He bought some dramamine in St. Martin and felt better. I usually feel it most on tenders/excursions. For me, the side effects are worth it, but my SIL and brother both tried the patch, and they took it off after a day. My SIL was seeing double.:eek:

I've cruised twice while pregnant, and used ginger capsules as a preventative.

During a November cruise we caught the tail end of a late-season tropical storm and everyone was running to the medical staff for help - found out you can get meclizine from the Purser at no charge.

You didn't say when you are traveling, but the Caribbean is generally calm and those big ships have super sized stabilizers....most people never have one bit of problem.

Most ships offer seasickness meds for free in the infirmary

just grab a handful of packets and youll be okay

dont let anyone fool you, you will feel some rocking during rough sea days

have a ball on your cruise

I take the bonine at night and do not have a problem with drowsiness. I also use the ginger tablets throughout the trip. I find that if I wait until I can really feel it then it is too late. I used the patch on my first three cruises then on the fourth was not able to see. It was like having your eyes dilated by the doctor. I couldn't read the menu (which of course was a huge problem). I always take something whether or not I think I need it.

Buy some candied ginger. There's something amazing about ginger. (So I've heard. I don't get seasick at all.) FLAT ginger ale will help (again, the ginger).

Bring the little patches you put behind your ears and put them on immediately. With the patches, the pressure-point bracelets and some back-up Bonine, there shouldn't be a problem. My friend took Bonine on our last cruise and felt fine (after feeling sick and putting off taking the Bonine) and wasn't tired.

Our ship was a-rockin' the first night but after that, we were constantly saying, "Is this ship even MOVING???"

Personally I ate a Green Apple on the day where we had the worst seas and I did ok all day. Was I super happy about the major ship movement, no, but oh well can't do much about that other than give it the best go.

Keep your tummy full it hurts less/feels better than if you are cruising on an empty stomach. I know that from my Summer work in the past where we were far less stable in seas than any cruise ship.

Transderm Scop patches are nice if you want to patch up for the entire cruise and you should then be ok for the whole cruise. Just note the side effects, they may or may not bother you.

Happy Cruising!!!

Swear by them! I had someone reccomend them for morning sickness and remembered later to take it on a cruise.

We ended up on rough seas and I was sure one of our companions at our table was about to lose his dinner (there was a storm around us) so we passed the band back and forth.

He was amazed at how quickly it worked and made it through the meal.

FYI-they must be used correctly-with lubricant...and bring an extra battery.

If you are prone to car sickness I would recommend getting a bottle of ginger capsules and trying them out at home first. Once they work fine at home you can then put your mind at ease about using them on the cruise. They do not cause nausea or drowsiness like most other motion sickness meds do.

I got a bottle of the ginger capsules for our last cruise but never used them. I now pop one when we are going any bit of distance and my husband is driving. :rolleyes::D

I'm a Bonine (or the generic) cheerleader! I have to take it the night before we board the ship. I forgot it one time (our first Mariner cruise), and I was sorry within the first 30 minutes of sailing. I tried the "non-drowsy" Dramimine after I was already sick and all it did was make me sleep.

I take one every night before bed and never have a problem. I also have a drink (or two) each night, too.

They're the first thing I pack!

I went without the patch this year to find out if I would get seasick (I know a chance), but I did not. Now I know. I think the patch from a doctor is the best, or Seaband (from drug/discount store), or the other oral ones. We even had rough seas one night last week on IOS.

Donna

My son and I get motion sick very easily. I have worn the patch on several cruises and felt the side effects. He's only 10 so he can't use the patch and has to take the over-the-counter stuff. Plus, on the Disney cruise, none of the meds helped us at all. One day on "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel, they tested all of the remedies (prescribed and homeopathic) for motion sickness. Apparently one of the guys gets extremely sick. The 2 best treatments were the patch (and its side effects) and GINGER TABLETS. On my last cruise, I tried the ginger only and had no problems at all. That is what I will be taking from now on!

First time cruiser, tend to have some problems with motion sickness in a car so I am a bit paranoid. So I bought ginger capsules, 550mg, should I take 1 or 2 a day, want to start them this week b4 i leave. Also bought bonine, should i use both?

Archived