Hawaii Aug - lots of Questions

Eno

I have never cruised - many all inclusives and also many Disney World trips. Was looking at cruises - we have vacation the weeks of Aug 16 and 23rd and noticed the Hawaii cruise on Pride of America. Two of us with my 17 yr daughter and her price right now is $99.00.... Cruise price is great only issue is the cost of flights from Buffalo - found some on delta as low as 610.00 per person. While researching found more negative comments about NCL than any other line.

Questions -

1. From website looks as though most restaurants are extra - am I stuck with buffets for the entire cruise if I don't pay extra??? We enjoy nice restaurants

2. Can we bring on some of our own water and pop?

3. Are there any formal nights? We would like to dress up at least one night

4. If we go would stay a couple of nights prior to the cruise and maybe one night at the end in Honolulu - at the beach. What is the approx distance from airport to hotels in Waikiki and then to the port.

Any other comments would be appreciated

I have never cruised - many all inclusives and also many Disney World trips. Was looking at cruises - we have vacation the weeks of Aug 16 and 23rd and noticed the Hawaii cruise on Pride of America. Two of us with my 17 yr daughter and her price right now is $99.00.... Cruise price is great only issue is the cost of flights from Buffalo - found some on delta as low as 610.00 per person. While researching found more negative comments about NCL than any other line.

Questions -

1. From website looks as though most restaurants are extra - am I stuck with buffets for the entire cruise if I don't pay extra??? We enjoy nice restaurants

4. If we go would stay a couple of nights prior to the cruise and maybe one night at the end in Honolulu - at the beach. What is the approx distance from airport to hotels in Waikiki and then to the port.

We took this cruise 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. I hope the following will be helpful:

1 - there were always 2 main dining rooms with no extra charge - full course meals and very nice. The dress code was from nice casual to semi-formal. They had a formal night 1 night during the week.

2. You can bring some but the easiest way - there is a Walmart at every port with a free bus ride or shuttle each day.

4. Our travel agent booked us at I believe the Radison, but there are loads of hotels that are also right across from the beach in Wikiki, Honolulu. We took the shuttle that was provided w/our cruise to the hotel and it only took approx. 20 minutes

Enjoy!

Questions -

We went to Hawaii last April. We stayed at the Marriott Waikiki for 2 days pre cruise and left for home the afternoon after we got off the Pride of America. Of all the cruises that we have gone on, we enjoyed this one the most.

There were 6 of us and we all had a fabulous time. The food on the ship in the free dining rooms was very good. We ate in the dining toom for breakfast and some lunches also. We found the the buffet was too crazy and we wanted to relax.

We bought water and pop in several ports and took it aboard with us without any problems.

They had a dress-up or not night. I always get dressed for dinner anyway.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!!

Judi

The Hawaii cruise is great in the fact that it allows you to travel between a number of islands, without having to waste time and money traveling between airports. This cruise is more of a "floating hotel with meals". They do have some onboard activities, but the real focus is on the individual island themselves. Most of your time is spent in the various ports, instead of on the ship. You will be able to dine in the main dining rooms without extra cost. There is a dress up or not night, but it is not dressy in comparison to other cruiselines, a nice pants outfit or even a long muumuu will be about the dressiest that you will find people. Hawaii is a very relaxed place, and that carrys thru to the cruise as well.We did this cruise several years ago and found many problemswith service, but recent CC posts seem to indicate that those problems have been cleared up now. GO--have a good time--get a big room if you are putting three adults into it!

I agree with Poconolady's posting. Cruise is all about Hawaii.

Cruised POA about 3 weeks ago.

I have posted a number of times about the crew. I found all except 1, to be very helpful and friendly.

There are 2 main dining rooms, one opens for dinner about 1hr after the other. Cadillac dinner is open about 22 hrs a day for burgers and such. They have a nice breakfast.

Buffet is not bad, but very busy.

Overall I found the food to be good, but did not "WOW" me like some other cruises that I have gone on.

It is about a 1/2 hour cab ride to Wakiki Beach. Lots of different hotels, from high end to budget minded. We stayed at the Aqua Wakiki Tides, a 2 star hotel, which is directly across the street from the International Market Place. Hotel is going through a major renovation, but most should be done when you go. Please check out the hotels on Tripadvisor.

Renovated rooms are roomy and very nice.

We flew in 2 days before the cruise and stayed another 3 days after. Lots to see and do.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Paul

I have taken 5 cruises in the last 5 years and this was my first time on NCL and first time in Hawaii. I could have stayed another week since I enjoyed it so much.

The main dining room has two levels (no charge) with the top floor having a dress code and the bottom floor being more casual. I usually dressed up a little and never felt out of place. You can also eat in the Buffet and the Cadilac Diner (never crowded) without a charge. Little Italy had a wonderful cozy atmosphere and was only a $10 service charge.

The ship actually has many activities which I wish I could have done a few more. They have a Hawaiian ambassador, Malu, who has hula classes, lei making classes, and does wonderful port talks (without advertising) everyday. I was shocked that I got to make a beautiful orchid lei without being charged anything.

Yes I brought water back to the ship everytime.

I thought it was a beautiful ship and I loved the freestyle aspect of the ship. The disembarkation was the best I ever experienced.

I have taken 5 cruises in the last 5 years and this was my first time on NCL and first time in Hawaii. I could have stayed another week since I enjoyed it so much.

The main dining room has two levels (no charge) with the top floor having a dress code and the bottom floor being more casual. I usually dressed up a little and never felt out of place. You can also eat in the Buffet and the Cadilac Diner (never crowded) without a charge. Little Italy had a wonderful cozy atmosphere and was only a $10 service charge.

The ship actually has many activities which I wish I could have done a few more. They have a Hawaiian ambassador, Malu, who has hula classes, lei making classes, and does wonderful port talks (without advertising) everyday. I was shocked that I got to make a beautiful orchid lei without being charged anything.

Yes I brought water back to the ship everytime.

I thought it was a beautiful ship and I loved the freestyle aspect of the ship. The disembarkation was the best I ever experienced.

Do you remember if you could order room service on the day of disembarkation? What time would you say you were off the ship? We are not in a hurry at all that day and just trying to do a little planning.

Do you remember if you could order room service on the day of disembarkation? What time would you say you were off the ship? We are not in a hurry at all that day and just trying to do a little planning.

On the room service menu it does say that room service is not available on disembarkation but Skyline and Aloha are open until 9 a.m. You have to be out of your cabin by 9 but not off the ship until 10. If you want to stay until 10 a quiet place to wait is in the beautiful library they have. We waited almost until 10 to get off and it was really easy.

I took this cruise (but on the Pride of Aloha when she was still there) a couple of years ago. It is by far my favorite cruise so far.

I think everyone has answered your questions about dining and taking water/soda on board. I wanted to add that we also flew into Honolulu a couple of days early and stayed directly across from Waikiki Beach for $99 per nigh, courtesy of PriceLine. I can't remember the name of the hotel, but it was the one where Don Ho played when he was still alive. Maybe someone else remembers.

Like some others have said, this cruise is more about the islands than about the cruise itself. It it's Hawaii you're excited about, I say go, for sure. Had I done a land vacation before the cruise, I would have picked Maui. Now that I've been to all of the major islands, Maui will definitely not be my choice of island for my Hawaiian land vacation. The point is that it's the best way, by far, to get a true taste for all Hawaii has to offer, and each island offers something unique. Definitely not "one size fits all" for sure.

If it's the cruising experience you're more looking forward to, this may not be the best choice. I love my cruise ships, but honestly this trip is so port intensive that I didn't spend much time on the POA at all. It got me from point A to point B, gave me a place to sleep and a place to catch a meal when I wasn't taking in the local cuisine.

Good luck with your decision! I would not hesitate to do it again.

much of the negative comments come from those who don t like the

numerous choices of dining venues..not because they re offered..but,

because they have to pay for them..

already mentioned are the 2 main dining room s and the buffet..not to mention the outdoor bbqs..as well as the 24 hr Blue Lagoon s on many of the ships..

what you see offered on other lines are also offered by NCL ie, the inclusive dining option s..the only deferance being that there are

up to a dozen other surcharge dining choice s too..

Wow - Thankyou sooo much for the info. We are working out the pricing right now. Have never been to Hawaii and if its a floating hotel that will bring me to the different Islands - thats what I am looking for. Not looking for luxury but decent food and if I am flying there will definetly book a couple nights prior to cruise and possibly one night after - finding differences in flight prices based on day of departure and return.... will reply back if we book with a million more questions.

Archived