Can anyone explain how residency rates are decided upon

We will be cruising on the Freedom soon and this is the first time I have been following the discounts given to residents of certain states. The discounts don't appear to make sense to me. I can understand discounting Florida residents for Florida departures, but I am seeing significant discounts to New England states for this Florida departure. For example, a D2 is being discounted from $1,589 down to $999.00 for NY residents. That is a considerable discount. Why does a person like me from Wisconsin have to pay nearly $600.00 more pp for this cruise?

How am I to take this.... standing up or bending over. :mad:

Tom

They take a handful of darts and throw them at the map to decide on who gets a residency discount!;):p:D

I just got a Pennsylvania residency rate for my Alaska cruise (one of my roommates is from Pennsylvania). Two years ago, I ended up getting 3 different Arkansas residency rate discounts on a cruise out of Florida.

do these rates apply for last minute cruises or for any cruise?

how do you know if your state has a residency rate or not?

Alex:

I first found out about the discounts by watching our M&M tread. Some east coast passengers were gloating. So I went to rccl.com and priced the cruise with various states and found these offers.

do these rates apply for last minute cruises or for any cruise?

how do you know if your state has a residency rate or not?

Residency rates can appear or disappear at any time for a cruise. Typically you don't see them when bookings first open but they will appear at various times as a way to fill up a cruise or get more people from certain states to book a particular cruise.

You find them by doing a fake booking for your cruise and on the first page of the booking screen entering your state. If there is a residency discount for a category, below the regular price there will be a 2nd price with the residency discount with a note in Red about it being a residency special.

We will be cruising on the Freedom soon and this is the first time I have been following the discounts given to residents of certain states. The discounts don't appear to make sense to me. I can understand discounting Florida residents for Florida departures, but I am seeing significant discounts to New England states for this Florida departure. For example, a D2 is being discounted from $1,589 down to $999.00 for NY residents. That is a considerable discount. Why does a person like me from Wisconsin have to pay nearly $600.00 more pp for this cruise?

How am I to take this.... standing up or bending over. :mad:

Tom

Multiple factors: how well is the ship selling in different states... flight prices from certain states to the embarkation port play a factor as well, just to name a couple...it is not a dart throwing even like some suggest.

Archived