How to get cab to Coral World and then to Magen's Bay and back again???

buzymom3

Hi Everyone

We are trying to keep costs in check and also spend more time doing what we want to do.

Is it possible to get a cab from the pier and get to Coral World first thing in the morning? How hard will it be to then get a cab from Coral World to Magen's Bay? And then back to the pier??

We are figuring about 2 hours at CoraL World and then want to spend a few hours at Magen's until around 1pm, then head to downtown to shop some before getting back on Freedom.

Do we negotiate with the drivers? Where will we find them?

Lastly, we are a family of 6...will we need two cabs or are they the van types??

thanks so much!

janet

My son and I went to Coral World on our own rather than through the cruise line about 2 years ago. They have the open bus type vehicles waiting for you at the port and then they come about every so often at Coral World. They all charge about the same but I'm sure that you could negotiate. It was about $14 for the 2 of us to get to Coral World. When we got there, the driver gave us a coupon for a discount to use at Coral World and then asked us when we thought we might want to return. We gave him a time but he wasn't there. However, about 3 others were there fighting over us. They will take you where you want - either Megan's Bay or back to the port. I would just ask the drivers when you leave the port in the morning to go to Coral World. Because it was just me and my son who was 10 at the time, I probably wouldn't do this again. Although, the bus was full when they took us in the morning, we were the only ones on the open bus coming back. The driver is separated from us and we ran into heavy traffic on the way back. She decided to take us through the project areas and I was a little afraid that someone would jump on the bus. I didn't feel very secure. However, you have 6 in your group and you are going to other places. If my son and I have to do another excursion without my husband, I will definitely be booking it through the cruise line for our own safety and security.

We are a group of 6 thinking to do exactly what you are. We are on the May 23rd Freedom 2009. Please let me know if you find out any other information.

We have been to St Thomas one other time, we did a tour thru the cruise line that eventually took us to Magens Bay. While I really wasnt watching closely, it seemed there were taxis everywhere we went that were open and waiting for fares.

Taxis are everywhere...and if you tell the driver what time to be back, I'll bet he will be. Also, unless things have changed from our last visit the taxi fares are fixed from point-to-point on St, Thomas and are not negotiable.

If you are just looking for a little beach time after Coral World, had you considered just staying at Coki Beach? It isn't quite as scenic as Magens Bay, but it is just outside Coral World. This would eliminate one of your taxi's as you would only need then to get back into town to shop afterwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived