VNP and Ahalanui same day?

emste

We will be renting a car in Hilo and are going to VNP but would also like to go to Ahalanui park. Can this be done in one day? Would also like to stop at the mac nut factory and the candy co? Thanks

Yes, it can be done if you keep an eye on the clock. At VNP you will not be able to drive down Chain of Craters Road or do any big hikes, but you will be able to see all of the sights and stops at the top. The drive from VNP to Ahalanui will be one hour. You can change and take a dip in the the hot pond. Your drive back to Hilo will be approximately 40 mintes. The mac nut factory is just outside of Hilo on the way back. Then, if you have time you can go to Big Island Candies.

I would just make sure you get an early start to the day and like I said...keep an eye on the clock. Have fun.

Methinks you're trying to jam too much into one day. the VNP is perhaps the top attraction in the state (one of 'em, at least) and you shouldn't give it short shrift. The chain of craters road is fantastic, and to miss that in order to see a candy store seems like an unfortunate trade-off.

(One way to save time is to not have a sit-down lunch. Stop at one of the 2 general stores in volcano village and pick up some munchies.)

It's sad when people have to constantly monitor their wristwatch while on vacation, but that's what you'll have to do with such a compressed schedule.

I think you could get a great fill of VNP in about 5 hours, including C of C road, Jagger Museum, the visitor center, thurston lava tube, and some other stop here or there. Base the rest of the day on that, and if something totally amazes you, don't feel the need to just go on to the next stop on your pre-determined itinerary. Heck, VNP might be dullsville for you.

IMO get your fill of 1 or 2 things rather than just breeze by 4 or 5.

We were interested in doing both VNP and Ahalanui park. The candy store is not my priority (although I do LOVE candy). I do not want to blow through VNP which was why I was asking this question. These are the two things we want to do while in Hilo and I just wanted to know if it was doable.

We were just at VNP on Monday. Since Crater Rim road is mostly closed, you should have plenty of time to do Chain of Craters road. We did everything in less than 4 hours, but we are not hikers. You will have a great time there.

Methinks you're trying to jam too much into one day. the VNP is perhaps the top attraction in the state (one of 'em, at least) and you shouldn't give it short shrift. The chain of craters road is fantastic, and to miss that in order to see a candy store seems like an unfortunate trade-off.

(One way to save time is to not have a sit-down lunch. Stop at one of the 2 general stores in volcano village and pick up some munchies.)

It's sad when people have to constantly monitor their wristwatch while on vacation, but that's what you'll have to do with such a compressed schedule.

I think you could get a great fill of VNP in about 5 hours, including C of C road, Jagger Museum, the visitor center, thurston lava tube, and some other stop here or there. Base the rest of the day on that, and if something totally amazes you, don't feel the need to just go on to the next stop on your pre-determined itinerary. Heck, VNP might be dullsville for you.

IMO get your fill of 1 or 2 things rather than just breeze by 4 or 5.

I'm sure my DH won't mind if I tell you to consider yourself kissed!:D That is, as you no doubt know, almost exactly what I would have written.

beachchick

Archived