Celeb Insurance

Ships R Great

Someone on another thread said that X travel insurance is not good, does not cover pre-existing conditions, choice of transport home in the event of a medical emergency, etc. Can someone give more info about this? We have bought X ins. but never had to use it. I am uneasy now.

Most cruisers who purchase travel insurance don't take the cruise line's insurance because it doesn't cover nearly what third party insurance covers. And, with a little research you will probably find that third party insurance is cheaper and covers more.

I used to always buy independent coverage, usually from CSA or Travel Guard, due to both coverage and cost. More recently I've been purchasing the Celebrity cruise line insurance as it has a provision that covers a cancellation for any reason not otherwise covered for 70% of the cost as a future cruise credit. This is good for us as we have a couple contingencies that wouldn't otherwise be covered by cruise insurance.

If you're undecided about the travel insurance offered by X, insuremytrip.com is a great website that allows you to pick and choose travel policies offered by many different insurers. You can find what suits your needs, compare to what X is offering and make your decision.

Much of the info you read on this forum about insurance is just wrong....apparently no one bothers to read the policy and just repeats someone else's bad information.

I suggest you read the celebrity policy yourself....then decide if you want something else or if that policy works for you.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/insurance/DofC%20CEL%20060607.pdf

I agree read the policy, but also check out insuremytrip.com and compare policies there based on the specific things you are looking for in a policy. One other reason not to get a policy with a cruiseline is that if that cruise line goes belly up the insurance does NOT cover it. Be sure to check on other insurance that your line is not on a watch list and so not covered for insolvency as well.

Archived