Bringing wine onboard...

crazymrsnancy

I have read 1 bottle each.. I have read that some people bring like 6 bottles (Between a couple)...

Can anyone tell me if it would be unreasonable to bring 6 bottles of wine (Between hubby and me) for our 7 night cruise?

You are permitted to bring 2 (I Think) bottles of wine or champagne

Use discretion, pack them in your checked luggage rather then carry on and remember they can be taken from you and held until the end of the cruise if you have more then the alloted amount.

No -- but be discreet. 1 in each carry-on (if not flying or transfer it before boarding if you are) and 2 each in the checked luggage. Best to buy the wines at the embarkation port. Relax. Remember $15 corkage IF you take the bottle to the Dining Room but we love the pleasure of being served and don't mind paying for corkage.

it would be unreasonable to bring 6 bottles of wine (Between hubby and me) for our 7 night cruise?

We always go shopping at a wine store near whatever pier we are boarding the ship at (Ft Lauderdale, San Pedro, Vancouver, Seattle, San Juan) and buy a dozen or so bottles of wine. We pack them in a box from the wine store, seal it up, slap on a luggage tag and check the box with the rest of our checked luggage. We give the porter an extra $10 bucks and ask him to take good care of our luggage and especially the box! We've cruised numerous times with Princess and as recently as Dec 08 and we have *never* had a problem with the box being delivered to our stateroom along with our other luggage.

OF course, YMMV.

Have a great trip!

:confused: What will you do on the 7th day? :D

Seriously, the worst that can happen is they take it from you for safe keeping and you just plead ignorant about the allowance.

I can recommend the wine tasting onboard by the way. It was a very enjoyable and well presented, light hearted event.

YMMV is internet slang for "Your mileage may vary" -- in other words, your experience may be different than my experience.

We usually will pre-order 6 or so bottles of wine over the internet from Total Wine or whatever shop is near the port. They have the bottles sealed up in a box when we arrive. We've never had a problem, at least so far. It's obvious that the box contains wine.

We always go shopping at a wine store near whatever pier we are boarding the ship at (Ft Lauderdale, San Pedro, Vancouver, Seattle, San Juan) and buy a dozen or so bottles of wine. We pack them in a box from the wine store, seal it up, slap on a luggage tag and check the box with the rest of our checked luggage. We give the porter an extra $10 bucks and ask him to take good care of our luggage and especially the box! We've cruised numerous times with Princess and as recently as Dec 08 and we have *never* had a problem with the box being delivered to our stateroom along with our other luggage.

OF course, YMMV.

Have a great trip!

I just did this a few weeks ago for our family cruise on the Crown. Since everyone else but myself and my cabinmate were flying in from other parts of the country, and we both live down here in South FL, we offered to pick up wine for everyone. We went to a Total Wine location nearby, picked up a dozen bottles, and packed them in a box from the store. Used another same size box to put over the top (slit up the corners, so it fits) and taped the entire thing up good. I printed a piece of paper with my name and cabin number on it (don't forget to write "FRAGILE" on it too), taped that to the top, and gave it to the porter at the terminal along with the rest of the luggage.

One bottle broke enroute to our cabin, but it was a shorter bottle than the rest, so I can see how that might have happened. It also doesn't hurt to perhaps stick some newspaper or otherwise wrap each bottle just to be on the safe side.

In any case, everything else arrived in perfect shape, and it was great for us all to share that wine while in our cabins or on the balconies in the afternoons and evenings. You can call room service to bring you up wine glasses, but make sure you remember to bring a corkscrew! :)

Remember to ask your room steward for wine glasses and a bucket of ice when you first board to cool your wine / champagne in time for sail-away. That final week before your cruise is GREAT - happy packing (let's see, cancel the paper, take out the garbage, renew prescriptions, weigh the suite case and take out half the clothes and shoes, ... love those lists)!:D

We're part of the "cheapo" group that brings "Box O' Wine". :eek: (Current fav Corbett Canyon). In any event, be sure you wrap the bottles or boxes in plastic grocery bags before surrounding them with bubble wrap and/or clothing. If you pack up a case at a liquor store, I would still ask the store to individually wrap the bottles in plastic bags. I can't think of a worse way to start a cruise than to have a broken bottle making a mess.:rolleyes:

As to the OP's original question, we have never been limited by Princess in bringing on wine. We did have some confiscated by RCL once. They delivered it to our dining table and we had the pay the corking fee. No big deal.;)

Thanks everyone!!

I'm already spending way too much time at work cruising this board and dreaming haha!

There's no such thing as spending too much time at work going over and/or thinking about your upcoming cruise. My co-workers are always so glad when I 've left for that year's cruise. It means they don't have to sit around listening to my giggles and rants/raves about the trip.

I have read 1 bottle each.. I have read that some people bring like 6 bottles (Between a couple)...

Can anyone tell me if it would be unreasonable to bring 6 bottles of wine (Between hubby and me) for our 7 night cruise?

Box wine contain 4 bottles each. Easy to pack very durable no corkscrew required. Take 2 for under $20 when on sale. Very good bouquet!

Box wine contain 4 bottles each. Easy to pack very durable no corkscrew required. Take 2 for under $20 when on sale. Very good bouquet!

Yes, there's certainly some pretty good wines by the box these days.....and from what I understand stay good longer than those in the bottle once they've been opened.

There's no such thing as spending too much time at work going over and/or thinking about your upcoming cruise. My co-workers are always so glad when I 've left for that year's cruise. It means they don't have to sit around listening to my giggles and rants/raves about the trip.

This sounds so much like me and my situation that I had to laugh out loud. :D

Yes, there's certainly some pretty good wines by the box these days.....and from what I understand stay good longer than those in the bottle once they've been opened.

Agree and whats more 6 of these is more appropriate for a 7 day cruise than 6 bottles.!!!:)

We've never had a problem bringing wine on-board at a port stop. It was great when we docked for a day in San Francisco - got several nice deals and simply put the bottles in my napsack. Zipped through the scanner with nothing but smiles and a "welcome back" from the crew.

Hi Folks,

When we did our Coral repo in 06 (FLL/SFO/YVR) we had people hand carrying on a 12 case of wine and ne'er a word was said. When asked, they responded that they were celebrating a birthday and having a sailaway party on their balcony.

Now if you're sailing from a west coast port, you could always get over to Trader Joes and buy a case of "Two Buck Chuck," Three Bucks (USD$2.98) if you're in Washington State and some parts of Oregon.

Seeing we have to fly to Sydney for our Star trans Pacific (SYD/LAX) in Oct 09, won't be carting a case of wine onto the aircraft ...that's for sure!!!

So for all my mates down in Oz coming on this cruise, what are some good but reasonably priced wines to stock up on?

The shrimp are on the barbie, the sharks are biting, the surfboard's waxed up, I'mlathered in SPF 30 and you're all yelling "Where the bloody hell are you?" Well as I've said on another thread..."I'm bloody well lost and still trying to find a wine/spirit shop close to the OPT in SYD CBD area." Please help as it might be an extremely dry sailaway until I start sucking up salt water spray as we bounce through The Heads.

Thanks in advance for your advice, and...

Ciao for now!!

Archived