Can you cash travelers checks on board, and how much $ should you bring?

AdventureLover67

Hi all!

We are getting ready to take our first cruise May 2 (7 day Western Caribbean) and I was hoping someone could advize me regarding cash.

How much cash should we take (I know all ship related services, goods, tips, excursions can be charged) for use when we are at the ports? I assume American dollars can be used at most local shops by the ports, or is it better to take some applicable currency? I also wanted to know if Disney will cash travelers checks on board? Thanks!:rolleyes:

I do not remember the limit but yes you can cash TC on the ship. My question to you is.....TC, Credit cards as well as US currency is good in the POCs as well; so why do you need much cash? The only time you will need cash is for things such as cabs, tips in the ports and some street vendors that do not have "true commercial stands". On the ship the only time you need cash is for self service laundry & a few singles for Room Service. Prior to on ship check in we kept out $10-$14 for porters. Now with DCL pairing with NWA and ship check in, we do not need that extra cash now. ;) The ship will charge all of your charges to the CC on file or you can settle your account with your TC if needed.:)

Hi all!

We are getting ready to take our first cruise May 2 (7 day Western Caribbean) and I was hoping someone could advize me regarding cash.

How much cash should we take (I know all ship related services, goods, tips, excursions can be charged) for use when we are at the ports? I assume American dollars can be used at most local shops by the ports, or is it better to take some applicable currency? I also wanted to know if Disney will cash travelers checks on board? Thanks!:rolleyes:

Local merchants in cruise ports LOVE American dollars. They have no problem at all with taking them.

There's ATMs in ports also if you need more cash. I don't remember the ATM fees being out of line, or at least no worse than ATMs in Disney parks. I wouldn't bother with Travellers' checks. The last time that I used them, I had a problem with merchants refusing them.

Yes of course the typical POCs (not including the speciality cruises) loooove US dollars. They speak big time. The exchange rate is so much higher. With the ability to speak spanish, I love Cozumel because I am able to negogiate prices when shopping because I know the exchange rate is so wonderful. I tell them I will give them "XYZ" amount and pay them in "Green Cash". They usually jump at the offer.;) That's why when my international friends are sending money home they send American money because it is worth so much more.

Why traveler's checks? There are ATM's everywhere (including your ports) that will give you local currency with a good exchange rate and usually no fees other than the usual ATM fee, which is generally cheaper then the fee for TC's.

I stopped using TC's back in 2000 when I came back from Europe with all of my TC's unused.

Archived