Denali TWT - which side of bus?

lawahoo2001

Just booked my TWT for Denali. We are on the 5am bus. Which side of the bus should we sit on? Where are we most likely to get the best views? I know that we will get the same views on the return trip, so maybe this won't matter. Since we're more likely to see wildlife earlier in the morning, I'm hoping to pick the best side of the bus for the morning.

To avoid confusion, please refer to the driver's side as "left" and the other side as "right."

Thanks!

Just booked my TWT for Denali. We are on the 5am bus. Which side of the bus should we sit on? Where are we most likely to get the best views? I know that we will get the same views on the return trip, so maybe this won't matter. Since we're more likely to see wildlife earlier in the morning, I'm hoping to pick the best side of the bus for the morning.

To avoid confusion, please refer to the driver's side as "left" and the other side as "right."

Thanks!

If you are independent, not sure why you booked the TWT, when the Eielson shuttle gets you farther, and into signficant bear territory at 1/3 the price?? The tour buses are also sold completely full, so can be crowded. I'll assume for the benefit of lodge pick up??

Usually the left side of the bus has the edge for wildlife, but if you were on a shuttle bus, I would recommend you split a row, if you are going with someone else, each by the window. Then you have excellent access to both sides.

I too prefer the left hand side just behind the driver. This means I not only get to talk to the driver, but I get a better view out the front window rather than just the side windows. I will also take the right side if I can be in the first few rows. This means you have to be first in line to get on the bus, so you may have to be in line at least 1/2 hour early.

Definitely the left side. We were on a full bus and sat on the right. We spent most of the day taking photos over peoples heads. The left side of the bus was very accommodating and tried to be helpful, but there is just so many times that one can lean into other peoples space without feeling intrusive. We did have better viewing on the way back, but the bus driver drove rather quickly on the return and stops to view wildlife were much shorter than those on the way in.

I have always found on the shuttle buses, people more than willing to step aside. I always do and offer my window. Not to get into flames, but many times you have a broader mix of people on shuttle buses, many locals, extended foreign visitors etc etc, which just are "different" and seem to enjoy the "group" travel and viewing in Denali. You engage with the people on the bus, yell out "stop" for sightings, and share the day loaded with unique experiences.

Archived