glacier float trip in Juneau

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

I have done this tour and never recommend it. You only get a brief distant view of Mendenhall, no ice, then you go down the river, for views of trees and backyards. In my opinion, money is FAR better spent elsewhere. The canoe trips stay entirely on the lake and do get some ice exposure, so do the kayaks.

Is there a better excursion to book that will give us a good view of the glacier? We are doing the Glacier landing in Skagway so don't really want to do that twice. I have seen such beautiful pictures of people on kayaks in the books up close to the blue ice on the edges of the glaciers. (of course I'm sure thats not safe and wouldn't be able to get that close) But a view like that is what I"m looking for. Any recomendations?

Is there a better excursion to book that will give us a good view of the glacier? We are doing the Glacier landing in Skagway so don't really want to do that twice. I have seen such beautiful pictures of people on kayaks in the books up close to the blue ice on the edges of the glaciers. (of course I'm sure thats not safe and wouldn't be able to get that close) But a view like that is what I"m looking for. Any recomendations?

Don't forget those "photos" are also taken with a telephoto lens, compressing distances. So, correct, you do NOT get "close" to the glaciers. As mentioned above, both the canoe and kayak trips get good Mendenhall glacier viewing. Not the float trip.

don't forget those "photos" are also taken with a telephoto lens, compressing distances. So, correct, you do not get "close" to the glaciers. As mentioned above, both the canoe and kayak trips get good mendenhall glacier viewing. Not the float trip.

thank you so much for the info budget queen! I think we will book the canoe trip. For this trip i went out and bought a good camera with a telephoto lens so i'm deffinately looking forward to all the photo ops!:)

Archived