Ketchikan - Totem Heritage Center or Tongass Historical Museum?

bqkali

I will be in Ketchikan on a Sunday from 7am-3pm and I have a tour of Saxman Village that should be over by noon. I was hoping that I'd have time for something else afterwards before returning to the ship. From what I've read, it looks possible to see either Totem Heritage Center or Tongass Historical Museum in that amount of time. Does anyone have a recommendation for one over the other?

Every time I've been in the Museum seems like I've seen it all in about 10 minutes.

Are you referring to the Tongass Historical Museum? If it's only going to take 10 minutes I think I'll stick to the Totem Heritage Center. I'd rather not rush.

A midsize but interesting "museum" is the Southeast Discovery Center. It is run by the USFS and has displays on the area's wildlife, geology, resources, forests, and cultures. It's a block from the cruise docks and an hour is plenty. The attached bookstore is excellent.

We went to Totem Heritage and enjoyed it. The lighting is dim inside and the totems have decayed to bare wood (no paint) but the accompanying signs and photos are fascinating. The focus is on the history of the clans and villages who carved the totems. The docents are very knowledgable.

Photography is allowed but difficult.

A midsize but interesting "museum" is the Southeast Discovery Center. It is run by the USFS and has displays on the area's wildlife, geology, resources, forests, and cultures. It's a block from the cruise docks and an hour is plenty. The attached bookstore is excellent.

We went to Totem Heritage and enjoyed it. The lighting is dim inside and the totems have decayed to bare wood (no paint) but the accompanying signs and photos are fascinating. The focus is on the history of the clans and villages who carved the totems. The docents are very knowledgable.

Photography is allowed but difficult.

Thank you for the advice. I had heard of the SE Discovery Center but I had gotten the impression it was more a visitor's center with only tourist/travel info. With the exhibits and displays it sounds interesting. It sounds like a really viable option given the amount of time I have.

Thank you for the advice. I had heard of the SE Discovery Center but I had gotten the impression it was more a visitor's center with only tourist/travel info. With the exhibits and displays it sounds interesting. It sounds like a really viable option given the amount of time I have.

No it is NOT a "visitor center", that is on the dock. They do have an interesting totem exhibit.

You can be walking by all three and take a look in your timeframe. Easy route, if you have no mobility limitations.

No it is NOT a "visitor center", that is on the dock. They do have an interesting totem exhibit.

You can be walking by all three and take a look in your timeframe. Easy route, if you have no mobility limitations.

Thanks for clearing it up. I am a quick walker, no limitations, so I will easily be able to walk to any or all of them. They all sound interesting, so I will make sure I have maps to all of them and might decide the day of.

They have travel and backcountry info for Tongass Natl Forest too, in case someone tells you to "take a hike" :)

Archived