Scrimshaw??

W5KAP

Folks, I have decided that a piece of scrimshaw would be a good rememberance of our June Cruise to Alaska. I have no idea how expensive this stuff is. If I were looking at getting a small piece, does anyone know what the rpices are? And which port (Ketchican, Juneau or Skagway) would be the best to find it?

I know we have all kinds of experts here on CC!!

Cheers, Kenn

Like any art form, there is scrimshaw and then there is the cheap lookalike stuff. Quality, genuine scrimshaw is very expensive - think of $1,000 and up (waaay up). Lookalikes can be bought in many shops at a huge variety of prices depending on whether it's plastic or bone, with $15-20 the starting point.

Thanks to everyone who answered. I think deep inside I knew the "real" stuff would be very expensive. Considering the medium being used and the craftsmanship needed, I understand. I will look for the less expensive stuff in Skagway and also check out the links you all so nicely provided.

Thanks again and smooth sailing 99 Days till we leave whoo hoo!!!

Cheers, Kenn

Are you sure that scrimshaw is what you want? It's not a traditional Alaskan art and was usually a way that sailor's passed the time on whaling ships by carving whale teeth or walrus ivory. The themes are usually sailing ships or other subjects associated with whaling. It has been illegal to sell whale parts since 1973 and elephant ivory since 1989. So it is difficult to find scrimshaw these days. However, natives can and do carve some scrimshaw, as they are legally allowed to carve whale and walrus ivory.

What you may be interested in is native ivory carvings, which are available all over the state. Ivory carvings of animals such as seal, walrus, bears, and puffins are very popular, and I have several nice pieces that I have picked up for under $100. Most carvers are from northern Alaska, but they ship their pieces to gift shops all over the state. Corrington's in Skagway is a good place to start, and their museum collection is absolutely amazing. THE best place to buy ivory carvings is at the World-Eskimo Indian Olympics in the summer, where you can buy straight from the carvers and they will tell you the stories behind each piece. Another good place is at the native hospital in Anchorage, where the patients and their families put their crafts into the gift shop there. I find ivory to be outrageously expensive in SE Alaska gift shops, but then so are all the other handcrafts they sell.

We live in the modern age, and some carvers sell their wares on ebay, including a couple of local artist where I live. If you see something you really like in a store but is expensive, keep an eye out on ebay.

Are you sure that scrimshaw is what you want? It's not a traditional Alaskan art and was usually a way that sailor's passed the time on whaling ships by carving whale teeth or walrus ivory. The themes are usually sailing ships or other subjects associated with whaling. It has been illegal to sell whale parts since 1973 and elephant ivory since 1989. So it is difficult to find scrimshaw these days. However, natives can and do carve some scrimshaw, as they are legally allowed to carve whale and walrus ivory.

What you may be interested in is native ivory carvings, which are available all over the state. Ivory carvings of animals such as seal, walrus, bears, and puffins are very popular, and I have several nice pieces that I have picked up for under $100. Most carvers are from northern Alaska, but they ship their pieces to gift shops all over the state. Corrington's in Skagway is a good place to start, and their museum collection is absolutely amazing. THE best place to buy ivory carvings is at the World-Eskimo Indian Olympics in the summer, where you can buy straight from the carvers and they will tell you the stories behind each piece. Another good place is at the native hospital in Anchorage, where the patients and their families put their crafts into the gift shop there. I find ivory to be outrageously expensive in SE Alaska gift shops, but then so are all the other handcrafts they sell.

We live in the modern age, and some carvers sell their wares on ebay, including a couple of local artist where I live. If you see something you really like in a store but is expensive, keep an eye out on ebay.

Thanks, perhaps you're correct. I didn't realize that scrimshaw was not a native art form. While I will still keep my eyes open for something meaningful, I will also look for carvings. I am not looking for anything big, just a small something that will remind me of AK. We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and , trust me, we don't need to collect much more of anything heheheh:D

Thanks for the great info.

Cheers, Kenn

Oh, and I really thank you for the places you mentioned. That is a big help. I don't want to get a tourist trinket from china but something meaningful and done by a Native Craftsman.

Thanks again, Kenn

Might I humbly suggest a matched set of carved silver bracelets, similar to these ones?

http://www.alaskajewelry.com/bracelets-native-alaskan-bracelets-c-27_59.html?infoBox=0&osCsid=a01daf5657bdcf878adabe1abe6ba909

I personally have always lusted after one of them..... these are just for reference, there are others that are not quite as costly.

Is there a website for Corrigan's or do you know whether or not they have a catalog?

Might I humbly suggest a matched set of carved silver bracelets, similar to these ones?

http://www.alaskajewelry.com/bracelets-native-alaskan-bracelets-c-27_59.html?infoBox=0&osCsid=a01daf5657bdcf878adabe1abe6ba909

I personally have always lusted after one of them..... these are just for reference, there are others that are not quite as costly.

those would be nice for my better half. I surely can see why you like them. Thanks for the info, I am gathering all that I can and I am still very sure something is going to fall through the cracks. I think I should post my thoughts for Budget Queen to look at she seems the most knowledgeable. Sigh, and I thought this was going to be all fiun!! Can't wait to sail!!

Cheers and thanks,

Kenn

On our trip to Alaska for our 25th Anniversary - I brought home a small carved bear made of green jade and it was holding a pink jade fish in it's mouth. Also bought a small carved totem from Ketchikan, and a gold whale tail pendant.

That's the kind of stuff I like. It has meanining (and it won't break the bank):eek: I especially like the jade. I was able to get my wife some nice Jade and Opal while I was in Korea 20 years ago.

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers, Kenn

On our trip to Alaska for our 25th Anniversary - I brought home a small carved bear made of green jade and it was holding a pink jade fish in it's mouth. Also bought a small carved totem from Ketchikan, and a gold whale tail pendant.

The small pieces of jade make really nice souveniers, but you should know that 99% of it is Canadian jade that is sent to China to be carved and then sent back to Alaska for sale in gift shops. If you are going to spend several hundred dollars on a large carving, you might want to check that it is Alaskan (if you care about that sort of thing).

Anything that is made in Alaska will have a sticker that says so. Alaska native handicrafts also have a special sticker. There was a big scandal a few years ago about shop owners putting the special stickers on Made in China stuff and passing it off as Alaskan.

The small pieces of jade make really nice souveniers, but you should know that 99% of it is Canadian jade that is sent to China to be carved and then sent back to Alaska for sale in gift shops. If you are going to spend several hundred dollars on a large carving, you might want to check that it is Alaskan (if you care about that sort of thing).

Anything that is made in Alaska will have a sticker that says so. Alaska native handicrafts also have a special sticker. There was a big scandal a few years ago about shop owners putting the special stickers on Made in China stuff and passing it off as Alaskan.

Thanks for the info. I definitely want something actually crafted in AK. I will watch for the stickers and also the signs on the doors indicating craftsmenr of AK heritage

Cheeers, Kenn

Last year I bought an ivory whale tail pendant, and a couple of pins made from monmouth ivory (light brownish color).

I saw a beautiful polar bear pendant made of ivory in a wonderful store that sold local stuff in Sitka, but it was more than I had budgeted for.

This year I'm budgeting more for local jewelry, hopefully I'll find something as nice as the polar bear pendant that I can splurge on.

Another authentic material you might like is baleen. You can find locally produced carvings, models of boats and ships, jewelry, and scrimshaw.

You might want to go to craigslist, click on Alaska, and look through the collectibles and the arts and crafts sections. You can get many ideas of what types of things might be available and a ballpark price that way. Tonight I found baleen, ivory, whale vertebrae, masks, baskets, basket/porcupine quill earrings, soapstone, and dolls.

Another authentic material you might like is baleen. You can find locally produced carvings, models of boats and ships, jewelry, and scrimshaw.

You might want to go to craigslist, click on Alaska, and look through the collectibles and the arts and crafts sections. You can get many ideas of what types of things might be available and a ballpark price that way. Tonight I found baleen, ivory, whale vertebrae, masks, baskets, basket/porcupine quill earrings, soapstone, and dolls.

Thanks for the info. I had never considered baleen though I should have as I suspect that is pretty easy to come by. One whale puts out a lot of baleen!! I will look for that.

Tahnks again, Kenn

Archived