Hoi An or Hue

nadalina

We will be at the port of Chan May and I understand it is not possible to visit both Hoi An and Hue because they are too far apart and we can't get to both during the time we will be in port. My research on Trip Advisor and Frommers seems to prefer Hoi An to Hue, but I would appreciate hearing from those of you on the Cruise Critic Boards.

Thank you,

Peggy

Well I have never been to either places but on our cruise next month we are going to do Hue. It seems there is more history there and that is what we are interested in. From what I have read they are very different and it depends on what you are interested in. Hue has the Citadel and the Forbidden Purple City and the tombs of a number of emperors.

We will be at the port of Chan May and I understand it is not possible to visit both Hoi An and Hue because they are too far apart and we can't get to both during the time we will be in port. My research on Trip Advisor and Frommers seems to prefer Hoi An to Hue, but I would appreciate hearing from those of you on the Cruise Critic Boards.

Thank you,

Peggy

Just been to Viet Nam/ Da Nang and had a great tour to Hoi An. :cool:

Another vote for Hoi An - Azamara offered a Hoi An on your own - ie transport to the town only, though the journey there and back was narrated. The town of Hoi An has so much to see, lovely little shops and an amazing atmosphere. Incidentally there were no taxis at the port so we were glad we had not hoped to do something using a local taxi

• 1 month later...

We will be there in 2010 and are trying to decide between a tour and a way to just explore on our own.

How much time did Azamara provide with the "on your own" option?

Were you able to purchase any silk clothing?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We loved Hoi An - were there in March last year - we opted for a private tour guide and it was fantastic. He met us at the port in a mini bus with a driver. We have two kids - 6 and 8 and decided it would be far more comfortable in our own transport where we could stop and start as we wanted - he took us to Hoi An, China Beach and Danang and we climbed Marble Mountain - he was happy to stop whenever we wanted and just let us wander. We also went to a silk factory. The cost was only slightly more than 4 of us on an organised ship tour. It was lovely.

We loved Hoi An - were there in March last year - we opted for a private tour guide and it was fantastic. He met us at the port in a mini bus with a driver. We have two kids - 6 and 8 and decided it would be far more comfortable in our own transport where we could stop and start as we wanted - he took us to Hoi An, China Beach and Danang and we climbed Marble Mountain - he was happy to stop whenever we wanted and just let us wander. We also went to a silk factory. The cost was only slightly more than 4 of us on an organised ship tour. It was lovely.

Hi, Bad Seed. I am the one who started this thread and I just recently got back to the U.S. from my cruise. I ended up doing the exact same thing as you did and had a wonderful time. I'm sure Hue would have been nice, too, but I am so glad I chose Hoi An. In fact, I would really love to go back there sometime.

Hi, Bad Seed. I am the one who started this thread and I just recently got back to the U.S. from my cruise. I ended up doing the exact same thing as you did and had a wonderful time. I'm sure Hue would have been nice, too, but I am so glad I chose Hoi An. In fact, I would really love to go back there sometime.

Hi,

We have been to both Hoi An and Hue. We loved both equally. :)Hue has a lot of history and the Forbidden Purple City was very interesting. We actually did a tour of the Perfume River and The Forbidden Purple City with Tours of Indochina and had a lovely guide Phoung. Having been to the Beijing Forbidden City, it was interesting to compare the two.

Hoi An we would love to go back to. Found a fabulous place to get clothes made at A. Dong Silk in Le Loi Street and they were great. Quite reasonable in prices and the staff were so friendly. Brought back a few of the Hoi An silk lanterns which are gorgeous. Jean's cafe is cheap and tasty. Biere Le Rue very tasty and my husband bought a few of their Tshirts which are his favourites.

It really depends on what is important for you. A. Dong Silk will ship clothes back to your home address if you only have limited time there. We had two days there because we did a tour of Vietnam after the Princess cruise. Wherever you go, you will enjoy the culture and the food! We found the people so friendly. Enjoy.:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I know it's been a while since you were in Hoi An but can you tell me who your tour guide was?

Thanks

In 2008, on our Singapore to HongKong cruise, we stayed on board instead of doing HoiAn or Hue --- because we have done both on land....

http://daddytravel.blogspot.sg/2008/02/2005-july-danang-hoian-hue-in-vietnam.html

If you love quaint, art, silk, etc....go do Hoi An -- everyone whose been there loved it

If you are into history....Hue is interesting.......

Enjoy Asia, before it becomes too "touristy".........

• 2 weeks later...

please be sure which port you will actually arrive in to- it could be either Danang Port or Chan May (it's usually Chan May)

HoiAn is the most fabulous place- I've been there 8 times and will be going back again this June for my 9th visit- I never get tired of it- so much to do and see- you will love it, there's no doubt.