Is this dark enough to be formal?

Stop second guessing yourself and relax. As others have said there are many, many types of people on any given cruise. You will look wonderful compared to some. Your husband's suite will be just fine. No need to rent a tux if it comes down to that or not attending the formal evening or missing out on your excursions. There will be many men dressed less formally than you husband. I think most of your dresses are great. As I was looking through them I was wondering where you came upon so many cute dresses in plus sizing. You have a great assortment for formal and casual nights. As someone stated, maybe a nice shrug or pushmina to go with what you are taking and you are all set. Have a great time and congratulations on your wonderful weight loss.

do not cancel your excursions you will see people dressed in all levels of formal in the dining room I also wouldn't waste money on a tux we cruised celebrity and a lot of men weren't even wearing jackets only ties dress as nicely as you can and be proud of yourself and make sure you wear something you feel comfortable in you will look your best. beauty is all in body language. go have fun and dont stress about it

Your new haircut is very cute and flattering. I also like the top in that picture. You will see ALL shapes and sizes on your cruise. I like the blue dress in your original picture the best for formal. I think that you have a nice selection of cute dresses and casual outfits. You will fit in perfectly on your vacation. You and your husband will have a great time...you deserve it! :)

But who knows... it's near march break and the ship might be full with beautiful skinny people hehe. We'll see I guess.

PLEASE don't feel that way 'cause we're all going to cheer you on until you get over feeling some of your shyness.:)

BTW, the beautiful skinny ones are in the minority.;)

i just looked back through your pics i def like the dress you are wearing with your husband for one night i also think you could wear the long skirt in 2108 -i think that is a skirt- with a top in 2100 2102 2103 depending on what you have for jewelry ...go bold and big on the simpler patterns and less bold on the more busy. also wear heals if you can they do wonders for the legs no matter what size they are. i love the hair as well real cute. and remember.... we all look better with a tan...

Thanks so much.. I'm starting to feel a little better... for a while earlier I was feeling like crying... this was a free trip, but with all the extras we've had to pay like the hotel night the night before (never know there could be storms here in NB, so we can't take a chance of leaving the day of), and the excursions and tips, and misc, twinrix, other random things we'll need to go.. I'm starting to feel like we can't afford this free trip!! hehe.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm really beyond excited to go on this trip, but these are tough times for everyone. So many people I know are losing their jobs and their homes are in trouble.. I kind of feel guilty going on a cruise. It's surreal. So yeah... I'd love to be able to go buy floor length gowns and a nice suit for hubby.. but we really can't...

After all these comments though I am feeling very self conscious about my fat arms.. I do have a see-through black shawl type thing that I wore with a dress like 10 years ago that I hung on to. so I might wear that.

dont worry so much i have a friend who is like a size 1 and she is self conscious about every part of her body all us women have body image issues you have beautiful shoulders. play them up and just dont drown your self in clothes that are too big or squeeze into something that is too small. good luck.

I've only been on 1 cruise, and I don't have any experience with Princess, but I have to say this one thing. DON'T give up your excursions just to get new clothes that ou may not even wear again. The excursions were unforgettable on our cruise.

If our cruise was any indication, you'll see both formal and not so formal dress on formal night. If you feel uncomfortable, there's always plenty of other dining choices - like a romantic night with room service.

BTW, did you book excursions through the ship? If you browse the boards, you will likely find that you can find similar excursions for cheaper if you book through the recommended vendors.

You have quite an accomplishment to celebrate!

P.S. If you REALLY feel you need to shop more, you might try a consignment shop or even a secondhand store. Lots of ladies buy dresses for special events and then get rid of them.

I actually felt pretty good about my dresses before I posted them here!! haha. I still can't believe the deal I got on those dresses. I also got dress pants for work at that sale, all the dresses and many of the other items in those pictures and when I got home and calculated, I got 1415$ worth of clothes for 230$!! I couldn't believe it!!

But now after reading the comments I feel self conscious about the length and the bare arms. It never even occured to me that floor length would be better.. I've only ever owned two in my life : Prom dress and wedding dress hehe.

Houndmom, I just have to say that I LOVE that picture of your dog!! Adorable!

Thanks... that's my Bloo. He's very popular. :cool:

As for long or short, that is strictly a matter of preference. My next cruise I am taking one long and one short, but last summer I wore short dresses on both formal nights. Some people just don't LIKE long gowns, while others wouldn't be caught dead in a short dress on formal night. To each her own and dam* the torpedoes, or something like that!

If you are worried about how your arms or shoulders look, just get a pretty evening wrap to wear with your dress. It's also advisable to have one anyway. The air conditioning can make the dining rooms chilly sometimes. I have a chiffon one that doubles as a pareo to wear at the pool.

Oh yeah... I was meaning to add that I am ALWAYS honest in my opinions, and have no reason to "blow smoke up the wazoo" as another poster put it. my wazoo is as honest as the day is long. Hehe! ;)

Have a GREAT vacation.

The reason that I don't want to go and purchase a new suit right now, is because we're both mid-weight loss journey. We have both lost 100lbs so far (he started at 400lbs, I at 350lbs). We HAD lost 130lbs but we've both been having a really hard time re-committing since the holidays and gained some back :( . After our cruise though it's time to stop with the excuses and lose again.

So if we bought him a new suit right now, most likely it would be too big by the time another formal occasion rolls around...

This cruise that we're going on in a week (our first ever trip south - we're in Canada), we in fact won it in a local 'biggest loser' style weight-loss competition :) I can hardly wait and I hope we'll have a blast, but I can hardly picture us being able to afford another cruise like this in the near future..but never know right :)

Congrats to both of you on the weight loss! What a wonderful accomplishment!

I now understand why you don't want to invest in a good suit, however, I still would compare prices. Call your cruiseline and ask them how much a tux rental is, and then shop some local stores for a suit. In this terrible economy, I've seen stores with signs advertising men's suits at incredible prices. Of course, if he would enjoy the experience of wearing a tux, then by all means go for it!

In looking at your clothes, I agree with some of Happy Ks comments, in that I think you should look for some V neck tops. Some of the round neck tops are making you look larger than you are, or are too old/matronly looking for you, or are simply not flattering. A V neck would make your full figure look absolutely sexy, and give an overall slimmer appearance.

One of your tops, a black sleeveless turtle neck, with keyhole front looks like it fit you 30 pounds ago and now just hangs. It's too big, and is falling off you, get rid of it! Show off your weight loss!

You're definitely going to have a blast on your cruise!

Thanks so much.. I'm starting to feel a little better... for a while earlier I was feeling like crying... this was a free trip, but with all the extras we've had to pay like the hotel night the night before (never know there could be storms here in NB, so we can't take a chance of leaving the day of), and the excursions and tips, and misc, twinrix, other random things we'll need to go.. I'm starting to feel like we can't afford this free trip!! hehe.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm really beyond excited to go on this trip, but these are tough times for everyone. So many people I know are losing their jobs and their homes are in trouble.. I kind of feel guilty going on a cruise. It's surreal. So yeah... I'd love to be able to go buy floor length gowns and a nice suit for hubby.. but we really can't...

After all these comments though I am feeling very self conscious about my fat arms.. I do have a see-through black shawl type thing that I wore with a dress like 10 years ago that I hung on to. so I might wear that.

Look at the positives, not the negatives. You have worked hard and achieved a wonderful weight loss. The dresses you bought were very inexpensive, you did not sink a fortune into them. Although there are other expenses, the cruise is "free" (isn't it amazing how much the other stuff costs :eek:). And...you have a pretty face and a wonderful new haircut!

If you can't take the dresses back or find replacements that are affordable, maybe get yourself some bronzing powder and try a bit of contouring. I'm not sure how to do that, but a google search may bring you some results.

I have a boss (2 jobs) that when we make a mistake, or if there are changes in policy she always says "go forward from here"....I love that, instead of criticizing or scolding she keeps it all positive.

Hey listen, I completely understand your issue right now. My DH is now half the man he used to be! (started at 400 lbs too) I'm a bit on the fluffy side. My advise...

DON'T buy DH a suit right now. We've been through too many sizes to count. He looks nice and you know how much use you'll get out of it. Try some different ties.

DON'T cancel your excursions! They will be great!

DON'T worry about what other people are thinking about you! Reading CC can make you think others care about what you look like, etc. But the truth is, you won't see these people again and their opinion of you doesn't matter, only your own!

DO wear that blue dress that you are holding in 2111, it's adorable! The shawl that you have will be perfect! Just take that along and you might even be happy to have it! There are some other really cute ones too.

DO wear hose or stockings. They always make legs look nice. :) I like control top for a little extra help in the middle.

HAVE FUN!

ETA: DH said, make sure you don't skip the MDR! He enjoys eating smaller portions of a variety of flavors!

My husband will be wearing a suit we got him for Christmas - first suit he's gotten in years! It's a very nice dark blue - but it's a suit - not a tux. I will be wearing "cocktail" type dresses - not long gowns. There will be plenty of people in all types of clothes - so you just go and enjoy yourself. Your weight loss celebration is great! I'm a plus size myself - so I know how hard that was to lose that much and stay motivated. I've gotten several really cute things at very reasonable prices from "Avenue" - which is a plus size store. I've never found much in their stores - but they have great stuff on line. You usually can do a search to find on-line coupons as well - I just ordered several things for my upcoming cruise at 25% off.

Remember that this cruise is for YOU and YOUR HUSBAND to celebrate and have a terrific time - I promise you just from the many trips I've had - not necessarily on cruises but plenty of other places - that you will fit right in.

It's hard to know how to dress a "new" body - I've had that problem as well - but luckily I have a friend who's a real fashion nut and VERY honest! LOL I was wearing my pants way too short for a long time. The only thing in your pictures that I would definitely reject would be the blue top with the ruffles down the front - it's a little tight around the waist right now. Everything else is fine and you'll look great!

I just spent my lunch hour (s.... I took 2 oops!) scouring my city for more glalourous dresses, and I guess it's just not dress season in the 3 plus size stores we have :( Does anyone know if there are any plus size stores or stores with plsu size sections where I could find reasonably priced dresses in Fort Lauderdale? (since we'll be there on Friday and we only board on Saturday..) It's too late to order anything, ordering from a US site takes like 2 weeks to come in, and even a canadian site would be cutting it close since we leave in 4 business days..

Congratulations to both of you!

I agree, if you think it will be awhile until you can cruise again and this is going to be a special trip, then make it special rent and the tux. IMO, every man in a tux looks fab. Yes. it was easy to figure out which of your dresses are dressier and you'll look lovely on DH's arm in any of them.:)

I tried on a Tux ready for June but decided it wasn't for me after the wife had picked herself up off the floor laughing at me.

You Look fine Mrs. N in your pics on Flikr. Especially the shiny blue one in the 1st pics.

Mind you I'm with your hubby in the jacket and slacks dept. Being in uniform all week, having to get dressed up in formal gear is not my idea of a good time. I'll give it a go, but don't be surprised if you find us up in the Windjammer on the 2nd and 3rd formal nights.

My husband will be wearing a suit we got him for Christmas - first suit he's gotten in years! It's a very nice dark blue - but it's a suit - not a tux. I will be wearing "cocktail" type dresses - not long gowns. There will be plenty of people in all types of clothes - so you just go and enjoy yourself. Your weight loss celebration is great! I'm a plus size myself - so I know how hard that was to lose that much and stay motivated. I've gotten several really cute things at very reasonable prices from "Avenue" - which is a plus size store. I've never found much in their stores - but they have great stuff on line. You usually can do a search to find on-line coupons as well - I just ordered several things for my upcoming cruise at 25% off.

Remember that this cruise is for YOU and YOUR HUSBAND to celebrate and have a terrific time - I promise you just from the many trips I've had - not necessarily on cruises but plenty of other places - that you will fit right in.

It's hard to know how to dress a "new" body - I've had that problem as well - but luckily I have a friend who's a real fashion nut and VERY honest! LOL I was wearing my pants way too short for a long time. The only thing in your pictures that I would definitely reject would be the blue top with the ruffles down the front - it's a little tight around the waist right now. Everything else is fine and you'll look great!

My wife and I are with you here Debbie, she's aplus size girl too and we have a great deal of trouble finding suitable stuff to wear. She got really stressed when it said 2 to 3 formal nights on the cruise. (Our last cruise was informal).

I tried for tux rental but it doesn't do from here in the UK. Not that I look great in one anyway. She's got a load of lovely summer stuff from Kim & Co. from QVC UK.

So I'll be in my dark suit. It's already been out of the wardrobe 4 times this year for funerals :(. That's about all the use it gets these days

Berwyn & Delyth

I've been reading some men's attire threads today.. but I figure it'll just be easier to post a picture and ask.. Is what my husband is wearing in this picture dark enough for formal night? (It's his only outfit that could possibly pass for formal hehe he's a computer programmer and they get to wear whatever they want at work, and we don't go to many formals..)

So can he get away with wearing that for both formal nights (and try to jazz it up with a different tie or whatever... or should we just rent a tux ?)

That is fine....don't let anyone tell you different!

That is fine....don't let anyone tell you different!
No one is necessarily telling her what she HAS to do. She had concerns so she asked for opinions, and that's what people are offering....opinions, just like yours.;)

Hi Crazymrsnancy!

First of all, I love your new haircut, it's so flattering on you! And congratulations to both you and your husband on your weight loss -- what a great achievement!

I think you did an awesome job with your new wardrobe. I am also a plus size, and I know how limited we are in Canada when searching for plus size clothing at reasonable prices :(. Great bargains you got! Since my weight tends to fluctuate pretty wildly, I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money on what are likely to be "interim size" clothes. How awful would it be to spend more than what you can really afford on something that you hope won't fit you in a few months :D.

I think your best bet for the two formal nights are the blue dress you are wearing in the original pic you posted of you and your husband, and the black dress in 2079 - love the detail at the back! Most of what you showed pictures of will be great for your cruise. Some of my favourite picks for casual dinners in the diningroom would be your pic #s 2083, 2085, 2087 and 2093. Of the tops, I particularly like the ones in your pic #s 2098, 2100, 2103 and 2107. They will go great with your new capris!

Your husband will be just fine in the diningroom in the pants and jacket he is wearing in the photo. DO NOT feel you need to spend extra money that you don't have on a tux. He doesn't need one, and might not even feel comfortable in it... what a shame that would be. You made the right choice by putting that money into shore excursions. That is what this trip should be all about for you two... taking every opportunity to enjoy the experience of seeing and exploring new places.

You should both be very proud of your new bodies and feel great in your new smaller sized clothing :D. Do NOT miss out on the dining experience in the main dining room on formal night! Instead of feeling self-conscious about what you are wearing (not that there will be any need to be), focus on just taking in the formal atmosphere and all the details of the dinner presentation, and just feel grateful that you were lucky enough to get this opportunity!

DO NOT try to last-minute shop in Fort Lauderdale. The preboarding day should be the beginning of your vacation, and set aside for you and your husband to start to enjoy the entire experience and each other. You don't want to be running around frantically in a shopping mall when you could be strolling along the beach in the sunshine :eek:.

Don't stress; just take the clothes you bought already and start to relax. Trust me, nobody else is going to notice or care what you are wearing, and anyway it's not about THEM, it's about YOU! Enjoy!!!

My first cruise I was so worried about what to wear on formal night. Our second...I am wearing a pretty spring silk dress and hubby his sports coat. I don't care if there are people there in formal gowns or men in tuxes. I know that I will fit in with probably at least a third of the people there and be better dressed than 10% of them.

You will look fine and kick yourself later for spending so much time stressing out about what to wear. Just my humble opinion.

My first cruise I was so worried about what to wear on formal night. Our second...I am wearing a pretty spring silk dress and hubby his sports coat. I don't care if there are people there in formal gowns or men in tuxes. I know that I will fit in with probably at least a third of the people there and be better dressed than 10% of them.

You will look fine and kick yourself later for spending so much time stressing out about what to wear. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks Rian for that.

My wife has been stressed since realising they have Formal Nights. and then after reading through the threads I see most people will be tidy with collar, tie and jacket for the men and nice tops and black trousers for ladies. I think we will be in the majority.

Berwyn

Update : I've decided to buy DH a black jacket after all. After thinking and re-thinking about it, what made me decide to splurge on the dark jacket is that I would love to chose at least one formal night photo, and I think it will look much nicer with the black suit. IF I see any more glamorous and affordable gowns from now till Friday that'd be awesome, but if not, I'll just proudly wear my knee length dresses and chose pictures from the waist up haha.

I wish I had visited this board and saw the pictures of everyone's dresses months before! But the princess website says that formal nights for women are : Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women... so I think mine will look cocktaily enough. :)

Archived