New Royal Caribbean Cookbook: Volume 2

BroncosFan2010

So, I purchased the new Royal Caribbean cookbook on my cruise last week. I have to say, I think it is better than the first volume. I especially like the drink section in the back. However, I wish there were more recipes! There are only a few recipes for each section. For $30, I think they should fill it pretty full! I was happy to see some recipies from the specialty restaurants.

What are your thoughts about the new (or old) cookbook?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Volume 2. I enjoyed it, gave me something to look through over breakfast, but for the most part it's sat untouched on my book shelf ever since. The price isn't all that much difft. from other full color hard covered cook books you'd find in the book store.

• 3 weeks later...
I have both volumes and just different enough to make it well worth the cost. Then again there is a cookbook out there for $350 that I am dying to get. lol

Joe W.

And what cookbook is that?

I have to say, I do like the new cookbook. I wish I would use it more! Husband is such a picky eater!

Well it is actually more than just one cook book but they are all about that same price. Check out the El Bulli cook books on Amazon.com. AMAZING recipes and the photos will blow your mind.

Joe W.

I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the info.

Anytime at all. El Bulli is best known for being at the front of cooking inovation.

Joe W.

The cookbooks look awesome, but do you actually cook anything out of them? The reviews said they are difficult even for advanced chefs! Most of the techniques are his own inventions with his own equipment. It just does not sound very practical to try to cook at home!

As Alton Brown says, "I used to use cookbooks, then I learned to cook". lol I see the recipes in cook books as a starting point for dishes and I often modify them to my desire. There are a lot of dishes in those El Bulli cookbooks that sound amazing as they are and I would love to try some of them myself but my mind is a busy one and I am always thinking of new ways to do things. In the kitchen there is rarely a "wrong" way of doing things, more often than not it is just a different way. Not everyone may like the results but you never know until you try.

One technique I would love to try is spherification which uses chemicals to create small balls (or larger ones) of a flavored liquid. Imagine a dessert dish with what looks to be caviar on top of it only to bite into it and find out it is a fruit flavor or even coffee. Oh the ideas running through my head can be dangerous. lol

Joe W.

As Alton Brown says, "I used to use cookbooks, then I learned to cook". lol I see the recipes in cook books as a starting point for dishes and I often modify them to my desire. There are a lot of dishes in those El Bulli cookbooks that sound amazing as they are and I would love to try some of them myself but my mind is a busy one and I am always thinking of new ways to do things. In the kitchen there is rarely a "wrong" way of doing things, more often than not it is just a different way. Not everyone may like the results but you never know until you try.

One technique I would love to try is spherification which uses chemicals to create small balls (or larger ones) of a flavored liquid. Imagine a dessert dish with what looks to be caviar on top of it only to bite into it and find out it is a fruit flavor or even coffee. Oh the ideas running through my head can be dangerous. lol

Joe W.

I also like to take recipes and modify them to make something all my own. I have a feeling that these recipes might be a bit over my head. My husband is such a picky eater, and right now with me being a grad student, we don't really have the money to "experiment" with new food recipes. Perhaps one day! Right now our extra money pays for our cruising!

• 3 weeks later...

Joe W.

I think I saw that on Top Chef. A guy made olive puree and then spherified (spheriphied?) it into olive balls. Wish I could have tasted that. I loves me some olives.

--Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, there have been a few chefs on Top Chef that have used things like this before. You can do it using most kinds of fruits and several other liquids along with sodium alginate and calcium chloride. You add the alginate to the liquid you want to make the spheres out of (1 to 100 ratio by weight) then drip into a solution of calcium cloride/water (again 1 to 100 ratio by weight). The longer you let the spheres rest in the calcium cloride the thicker the skin on them will be. Note: you will find different ratios listed on different web sites. Here is a video I came across that helps demonstrate it.

I have been able to find the chemicals here in town at a very low price so one of these days I will have to just break down and get some. I have been toying with the idea of a fruit salad of assorted fruit caviars or a mint caviar to go with a lamb dish.

Joe W.

Archived