Shore Excursions

Huddler

DW and I plus the kids, DD age 7 1/2 and DS age 5, are doing the May 31st 4 day cruise on Wonder. Actually, we have the package deal of 3 days in DisneyWorld followed by 4 days on this cruise. The wife and I have cruised many, many times but this is the first cruise for the kids. Any ideas what shore excursions are best in Nassau? We are thinking of getting a room at Atlantis in Nassau rather than booking the excursions included with the room from Disney. The room is pricey at $425 but includes bracelets for the pool and aquirium. Are we missing out doing it that way? Should we do the Dolphin experience instead? Should we opt for early or late dining? What shows do we definitely need to see for a 7 and 5 year old? Thanks!

DW and I plus the kids, DD age 7 1/2 and DS age 5, are doing the May 31st 4 day cruise on Wonder. Actually, we have the package deal of 3 days in DisneyWorld followed by 4 days on this cruise. The wife and I have cruised many, many times but this is the first cruise for the kids. Any ideas what shore excursions are best in Nassau? We are thinking of getting a room at Atlantis in Nassau rather than booking the excursions included with the room from Disney. The room is pricey at $425 but includes bracelets for the pool and aquirium. Are we missing out doing it that way? Should we do the Dolphin experience instead? Should we opt for early or late dining? What shows do we definitely need to see for a 7 and 5 year old? Thanks!

In all honesty, it really depends on your kids. When I went with my family in Sept of last year, we did the Atlantis hotel tour, I forget what the actual title is, I think Discover Atlantis, and they loved it. Aftet the tour you pretty much have the run of the place. Theres no rush to get back to the ship.

If your kids are into pirates like mine are( I have a 10 and an 8 year old) there is a pirates museum within walking distance of the ship. Takes about an hour to go thru but its pretty cool.

As far as dining, again that depends on you and your family, theres no real advantage to either early or late seating dinner. Youll still get to see the show and youll still have a great meal.Youll hear some people say that the late is better so you can go to the show and then eat at your pace and that the early dinner seems rushed. I have been to both and have not noticed a difference. But thats me.To me the big thing is what time do you normally eat? That should be the bigger factor.

Lets see. The dont miss shows. This is me and I am sure youll get a lot of different opinions. Toy Story and Disney Dreams. the Golden Mickeys I could do with out and am planning on skipping this time around in August. There is a 4th show, that I cant comment on since I am pretty sure its a contract show. The one I saw was a ventriloquist/comedian, but since I have seen the masters, Jeff Dunham and Ronn Lucas both live, everyone else pales in comaprison.Thats me. Id have to look and see if he is there or if someone else is or if they put another show in its place.

One of the other things Iwould strongly suggest, dont go anywhere with out a camera. youll never know whom youll see or whom youll run into.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Book the Comfort Suites across the street. The rooms are only $225.

Thanks for the input. DW and I were actually married on a cruise(we had about 50 friends and family along on a Royal Carribean cruise out of San Juan; at St Thomas we were married at a resort called Wyndam Sugar Bay) and it was fantastic. We have cruised several times before we met and a few times since. Our last cruise was a Med cruise on Oceania which was fantastic. And I have heard wonderful things about the Disney Cruise. Our kids are at a perfect age to really enjoy the magic and wonder of Disney, although it sounds like a bunch of older "kids" on this board seem to enjoy it as much as ever!!

I do have a question: If I make a reservation for my wife and I at Palo, what do you do with the kids? Where would they eat since its an adult restaraunt?

Thanks for the input. DW and I were actually married on a cruise(we had about 50 friends and family along on a Royal Carribean cruise out of San Juan; at St Thomas we were married at a resort called Wyndam Sugar Bay) and it was fantastic. We have cruised several times before we met and a few times since. Our last cruise was a Med cruise on Oceania which was fantastic. And I have heard wonderful things about the Disney Cruise. Our kids are at a perfect age to really enjoy the magic and wonder of Disney, although it sounds like a bunch of older "kids" on this board seem to enjoy it as much as ever!!

I do have a question: If I make a reservation for my wife and I at Palo, what do you do with the kids? Where would they eat since its an adult restaraunt?

I would book them into the Oceaneers Club. Theyll both be in the same club.Its an age specific club just for the kids. They have a lot of things for them to do and they will even feed them around 5 pm. Youll get a pager so if something happens,(highly unlikely) they can get in touch with you.

Book a room at Comfort Suites. It's across from the Atlantis.

About Palo: Your kids can be feed before you go to dinner. There are several places at the pool area or at the buffet at Beach Blanket Bingo to get food. You can then place you kids in the kids clubs.

Should we opt for early or late dining?

Early dining is hard to get, so if you can get it I'd go for it. You'll have no problems changing it. Late dining feels really late sometimes. If you have kids, I'd try to get early.

:cool:

I agree with the poster that said Golden Mickey's is one I will be skipping, but my husband and I have seen it twice and we don't have children. I think kids really enjoy it, so you may want to go for their enjoyment. We love Toy Story and Disney Dreams. Out of those, if I could only choose one, hands down it is Disney Dreams. It is magical every time.

When my husband and I went to Nassau (back in 2005), we walked to Atlantis and got bracelets to tour the grounds. At the tiime they were $10 per person. We walked around the aquarium and hotel lobby. It was very enjoyable.

I would also look into the kids club for Palo. I believe there is an orientation the first day if the cruise where you can meet the staff, and your kids can get aquainted with the area. I would try to do Palo if you can, it is delicious!

I hope this helps. :)

Archived