Front of the ship, lower deck, outside cabins.

frankhouse

Anybody ever had one of the forward, outside cabins on the lower decks (Riviera, Main, Upper 1-12) on any of the fantasy class ships? Is there a lot of noise when anchoring at ports? What about the rest of the time? If there is only noise when anchoring then I can deal with it. :confused:

We have been in forward cabins on Sensation (Upper) and Inspiration (Empress, Upper), we had some noise each time.

Youre going to have noise regardless of which deck you are on near the bow or the stern. Both areas are near the thrusters, and they make quite a bit of noise when pulling up to or away from a pier. Additionally, the rope winches will make some noise when they are tying the ship up. The anchor chains being let out are very loud, but it won't last more than a couple of minutes.

The noise really isn't that big a deal for me since I usually sleep through it. Some folks are more sensitive to it than others I suppose. I just kind of look at it as the "cost of doing business" when cruising.

Foam earplugs work great at blocking out unwanted noise. It doesn't completely block it out, but it muffles it considerably. My husband snores like a freight train, and the earplugs help me to fall asleep. I don't know what brand they are, but I use the purple foam earplugs. I buy them at Walmart.

We had M2 on the Fascination, and it was pretty good.

Basically no noise whatsoever from other cruisers, but the ship definitely made some noise. We thought there was a crew staircase just forward of us, but it was just a storage closet. There was some kind of creaking noise every morning around sunrise. We never figured out what it was. I thought it could be the metal expanding when it got heated by the sun, like the creaking you hear when you turn off your car and the engine cools down.

I don't think I'd want that specific cabin again, but it might be OK to be even one or two cabins back from the front. It's still pretty secluded as far as passengers go, and there may be enough distance to the noise source to make it not noticeable.

Note that I am a relatively light sleeper, and my wife almost always has a noisemaker of some sort to let her sleep (which I don't think we had on that trip)

- Steve

Thanks to all of you who have replied, I really appreciate it.

My wife and I are going for a 5 day on the Fascination in Oct 09 and we got cabin E7 which I thought was really good for $259.00 PP. The other day my daughter called and said she wanted me to and to go ahead and book her a 4A cabin which was also $259.00 PP so I got her cabin R37(outside cabins had gone up to $289.00 since we booked) but the next day after I booked it for her, the outside cabins had gone back down to $259.00 PP so I called my VP at Carnival and told him to change it to M7 and he recommended not to do it because of too much noise while docking, I went ahead and booked it anyway thinking if the noise is only while docking that's no big deal. We were in R37 on the Ecstacy and we heard the noise while docking and it didn't really bother us so if it's no worse in the other cabin then I'm happy.:)

Archived