daughter 24 years old wants to do snorkling

dianesp12

Please help if you can! This will be our first cruise going to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. My two daughters and me would like to snorkel. Is it possible for my daughter that can not walk to snorkel? She can swim with her arms and myself and my other daughter could put her in the edge of the water and stay with her. Is this possible for her to do? Also she would love to swim with the dolphins. Any information you could give me would be a great help. Thank you, Diane

Please help if you can! This will be our first cruise going to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. My two daughters and me would like to snorkel. Is it possible for my daughter that can not walk to snorkel? She can swim with her arms and myself and my other daughter could put her in the edge of the water and stay with her. Is this possible for her to do? Also she would love to swim with the dolphins. Any information you could give me would be a great help. Thank you, Diane

When are you going?

I am going with my 20y.o. daughter in 2 weeks who is a paraplegic. We are going to Lababdee, the other RCI private area where you can use beach wheelchairs that go into the water. Apparently it is possible and we are going to try it out. It has to be off of the beach though unless you find a good guide who will pick her and her chair up and put it into a boat and assist with getting her in and out of the water.

It requires you and your AB daughter to be on either side of her which would be awesome anyways.

ps. I also saw that you can rent a 'power snorkel' which is a hand held device that pulls you thru the water. Check out RCI's excursion lists to see if Coco Cay has one. Have you been there before? It is so wonderful!!!

Hi there,

I don't really know how disabled your daughter is, but if she can swim with her arms and doesn't have respitory issues, I don't see why she can't snorkel. I am a certified scuba diver and a snorkeler. I had polio and can use my legs a little but certainly can't kick in the water. I've gone on the dolphin and manta ray excursions and had no trouble. The crew just hauls me back up into the boat.

As for the "power snorkel", I would stay away from that. It takes a lot of arm strength to hold onto those and they pull you very quickly. Best to save that for experienced snorkelers.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. There is nothing better than water therapy!

My fiance is a quad and he does scuba and snorkel. The only problem is getting him in and out of the water. We usually find some big guy to help us. You can also go out on a dive boat and they will help. We used a beach wheelchair at Half Moon Cay, which is Holland Americas private island. It worked well in the sand but floated when it got into the water. It was impossible to get him back in the chair in the water.

My fiance is a quad and he does scuba and snorkel. The only problem is getting him in and out of the water. We usually find some big guy to help us. You can also go out on a dive boat and they will help. We used a beach wheelchair at Half Moon Cay, which is Holland Americas private island. It worked well in the sand but floated when it got into the water. It was impossible to get him back in the chair in the water.

I didnt know they floated. I was worried about that at first but no one mentioned it. Crapola. That is not good. If ours floats she is just going to have to stay in it, no way my mom and I can get her back in. Thanks for the advice!

Hi there,

I don't really know how disabled your daughter is, but if she can swim with her arms and doesn't have respitory issues, I don't see why she can't snorkel. I am a certified scuba diver and a snorkeler. I had polio and can use my legs a little but certainly can't kick in the water. I've gone on the dolphin and manta ray excursions and had no trouble. The crew just hauls me back up into the boat.

As for the "power snorkel", I would stay away from that. It takes a lot of arm strength to hold onto those and they pull you very quickly. Best to save that for experienced snorkelers.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. There is nothing better than water therapy!

I didnt know that about the power snorkel. I will keep that in mind and just do it the normal way this time. thanks!

Archived