oiler

thied

looks like a great day for cruising, as u can see thats the tanker in front of the sun,the pacific Adventure i wonder if its owned by P&O lol no its not its owned by Swire Shipping.

The company and insurers were now in talks with the authorities over the cost of the clean-up.

Around 100,000 litres of oil from the cyclone-stricken Pacific Adventurer have washed up on the shores of Moreton and Bribie island and parts of the Sunshine Coast.

pacific_sun.jpg

The SHIP that lost the bunker fuel is a general freighter that is able to carry containers. NOT a tanker as reported by some ignorant media like channel 7 Brisbane.

The accident happened way off Stradboke Island & NOT in Moreton Bay also reported incorrectly by some.

It is owned by the Swire group [Cathay Pacific] which was & maybe still is a British Hong Kong company.

As with all maritime reporting you are lucky if the reporters get it even half right - as we so often see with the cruise ships.

The whole thing is an unfortunate accident that happily did not result in any loss of life.

Polititians bleeting about why the ship was there - only show their gross ignorance maritime transport & world shipping trade - that carries about 95% of Australia's trade.

im sorry ok its a bulk carrier and can carry containers it can carranything from sand to gain to iron or it sevices most of the inlands in the pacific and some. she is Hong Kong-registered cargo ship and owned Swire Shippingi got my info from the maritime site in brisbane not the news or media, sorry i called it a tanker i mean cargo. and yes the Polititians tring to get browny points over this and well what can we say. the rest of them may as well be p.........g into the wind as far as doing anything fast . yes we very lucky as SeaDog-46 said The whole thing is an unfortunate accident that happily did not result in any loss of life.

and know they are saying 205 tons of oil some thing should be done about the goverment sham on them for not taking action faster then what they have

Thied - from the available info Pacific Adventurer is a general purpose geared [craned] containership as most Island ports do not have portainer cranes. She is also capable of carrying bulk cargoes as required.

Bulk carriers usually only carry bulk cargoes & can be geared or gearless - like the larger ones loading coal or iron ore in Australia.

I spent 27 years on tankers in Australia & worldwide.

Unfortunatly a reporter hears oil in water so must be a tanker.

Doppy logic.

Certain pollies say why was the ship there with a cyclone coming - going about its normal trade.

Yet the port of Gladstone was closed to all ships & the vessels at anchor were ordered to sea as the cyclone approached. Normal practise.

John [hayati88@bigpond.com]

Thied - from the available info Pacific Adventurer is a general purpose geared [craned] containership as most Island ports do not have portainer cranes. She is also capable of carrying bulk cargoes as required.

Bulk carriers usually only carry bulk cargoes & can be geared or gearless - like the larger ones loading coal or iron ore in Australia.

I spent 27 years on tankers in Australia & worldwide.

Unfortunatly a reporter hears oil in water so must be a tanker.

Doppy logic.

Certain pollies say why was the ship there with a cyclone coming - going about its normal trade.

Yet the port of Gladstone was closed to all ships & the vessels at anchor were ordered to sea as the cyclone approached. Normal practise.

John [hayati88@bigpond.com]

what has that go to do with oil in the water

Archived