Nordnorge

gnld

We haven't been on that cruise (yet), but seriously thinking about it.

Have been on the Nordnorge, for the Norway Coastal Voyage, July 2000, Kirkenes to Bergen. Nordnorge is a very nice ship, almost to cruise ship standards.

I believe it is the last issue of Cruise Travel magazine that has a review of the Antarctica voyage and Nordnorge.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I flew from New York's JFK Airport to Buenos Aires on December 31, just fifty weeks ago, to begin the most exciting, interesting and delightful cruise of eleven cruises. We have sailed the Caronia along the Arctic Circle, Crystal Harmony to Alaska, and Norwegian Dream as far north as Helsinki and enjoyed them very much. When we heard about the Nordnorge's cruise through the Chilean fjords with Antarctica thrown in so to speak we signed up looking forward to more of the same. My, we were so surprised to have such a different memorable experience.

The Antarctic, the Nordnorge way, is a very special indeed. We made seven landings by open rubber boats with knee high rubber boots. While most of the 400 passengers are in their mid fifties and German there were a small number of folks in their sixties including a few who needed help in and out of the zodiacs. There is something incredibly special landing, as if in a movie, on to a continent covered with snow and often in a chilly mist to be welcomed by countless penguins. Icebergs and albatross were capitvating.

Ths Chilean fjords are almost completely baren of people. For seven days we saw the most spectacular mountains (remember, we have been to Norway' fjords, Alska's Inland Passage and the north coast of Iceland as well as the Swiss Alps). They were often misty but beautiful. The tiny villages and towns we stopped were certainly refreshingly devoid of touristy stuff. An excursion to an Argentine sheep station will always be in my memories: breathtaking praries and plateaus occupied only by the wind.

The Nordnorge, is for most of the year a ferry serving as Norway's Interstate Highway specializing in overnight trips between Norway's coastal cities and towns. The cabins are small compared to cruise ships but perfectly clean and modern. The dining room serves all the meals. Buffet for breakfast and lunch and assigned seating for dinner. The food was excellent but different than you would find served in a formal setting on a Cunard or Crystal ship. I had been skeptical about Norwegian buffets but found I loved them too much:-)

The Norwegian crew and lectures were incredibly caring and helpful.

We really hope to do this again after we have sailed the South Pacific and Indian Oceans.

Lew

PS Santiago is a very special big city spend at least two nights there.

PPS You will be crossing the Drake Passage, the roughest water on earth, but you will be on a strong boat with the most capable bad westher seaman afloat.

• 4 months later...

So you were able to make seven landings in Antarctica? I have been considering this line because of cost and also because cruising the Chilean coast sounds interesting. I just want to make sure that we actually get to walk on Antarctic soil (need to hit all seven continents).

You mention a lot of Germans on the ship, were the lectures conducted in English?

We are considering December 2006, so we still have some time to plan and find the right ship.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

This week's supplement of World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society reports that the South America/Antarctica cruises have been selling so well, a second ship, Nordkaap will be added this winter, joining her sister Nordnorge.

• 2 months later...

LTBarringer, we had to have been on the same trip at the same time! It was fabulous!! I so want to return to Chili and do a land trip. It was simply beyond description!!

Yes, everyone speaks English. A lot of Germans but many English, Australian and American. Small quarters but absolutely adequate. However, the bartenders cannot make a cocktail to save their life.....but they are very nice!

I am planning on a trip to Antartica on Nordnorge from Santiago to Buenos Aires in January 2006. I know it is a Ice Class C Cruise ship and not an ice breaker. Could it manuever the ice and the Drake passage well? Has anyone gone on this cruise or the Marco Polo to Antartica? Which is better? Also, what are the good expendition ships to Antartica? I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I went last year along with my parents (father mid 70's who needed, and received, assistance getting in and out of the zodiacs). The trip was fantastic. Were not able to land on Cape Horn due to the weather (waves too high) but did get 8 landings in Antarctica including at two on the main land.

The ship had no problem going through the Drake Passage. Did have to turn around one time later on as a channel we wanted to go through was too iced over but the ship had no problem going through other icy areas. One morning we woke up to snow on the deck but many other days it was pretty sunny. Sometimes so much so that you did not need a jacket.

Regarding smoking - I did not smell anything in the cabin and I ususally can. The only time was when you went on deck; sometimes there would be people out there smoking.

I tried to attach a write up that I did afterwards but it was too large. Please let me know if you are interested and I can email to you separately.

Archived