Chilkoot Charters or Dyea Dave Tours in Skagway

mm & mm

We are trying to pick which tour to book. We would like to ride the train for half the trip then take a van/bus for the second half. We are looking to take the longer trip to Fraser or Carcross. Both tours look very similar, but Chikoot includes a Husky puppy camp. It looks like I would have to book White Pass Railroad on my own if I book with Dyea Dave’s. Is this correct? Does anyone have any suggestions or other tour operators that I should be looking at.

IMO Dave gives the best independent tour of any place I've ever been. He knows Skagway well and will entertain you like you've never seen.

I don't know the differences in cost or components to the various options, but I'd start with him if it was me.

Enjoy Skagway for me... I lived there for 4 summers and miss it daily. It's a heck of a town.

• 3 months later...

HELP!

Looking to book with either Chilkoot Charters or Dyea Dave on July 30. I read on another thread that advised not to book train ahead of time because of Fog. If we book with Chilkoot, the train is included in the price (7 1/2 hr trip @ $350 for 2) So..if we cancel because of bad weather, we will lose $350. I understand Dyea Dave charges $60 plus whatever the train costs. This way we would lose $120. But would be taking a chance of getting tickets for the train at the last minute. When I talked with someone at Chilkoot, I was told there was a good chance we wouldn't be able to walk up and get train tickets. PLEASE ADVISE!!

mm&mm - What did you end of doing?

AND., it is hardly ever, "fogged in" for an entire transit. IF the "fog maybe", is such a significant concern, then don't consider this train option. With any of the tour operators, you aren't going to have all the time needed to decide at the last minute, make your bookings and get your schedule going easily. Pick and book an option you can live with now. I've traveled this area many times, I take what I get and never have been disappointed. If looking for a perfect trip, you are setting yourself up for problems.

We went with Chilkoot and we had a great time! Our Guide "BJ" was full of great info about the area. we were totally pleased. And Chilkoot does have thier own car on the train, so most likely you wont be cramped! From reading peoples experiences on this forum with regards to both operators, its a win-win situation

A perfect trip would be no rain, no mosquitos.:D But I don't expect that to happen. Just looking for (and certainly feel I've gotten it) great advise from those who have been there, done that.

Thanks to all who responded, I'm calling Chilkoot.

Margaret

Archived