One balcony room or two interior rooms? Family of four

I found out that the cost of one balcony room for our family is similar to the cost of two interior rooms. We are a family of four: wife, husband and two kids. What would you choose? Balconies are great but the space of two rooms may be much better. I would have to ask for connecting interior rooms though...

I found out that the cost of one balcony room for our family is similar to the cost of two interior rooms. We are a family of four: wife, husband and two kids. What would you choose? Balconies are great but the space of two rooms may be much better. I would have to ask for connecting interior rooms though...

You don't mention your children's ages nor the length or location of your cruise ... all of which might factor in the decision. Balcony rooms, although nice, would be pretty darned tight for 4, particularly if your children are older. I would say 2 rooms is the better choice.

I agree that I think 2 rooms would be better. But I would like to know the ages of the kids first.

Laura

I would go with the balcony room. Yes it's going to be a little crowded but the balcony adds a little living space. We've done it both ways. One good thing about the interior connecting rooms is that you have two bathroom. But I love balconies though so I'd choose the balcony

Make sure to check your cruise for price drops. We recently caught 2 nice price drops for our cruise that leaves a week from today and we're able to save over $2000 on our balcony cabin.

I would definitely do the balcony room. We are also a family of four - 2 young teens. Yes, its a bit cozy, but the balcony is worth it for sure. For me, order and organization is really the key. The bathroom is the biggest challenge, but we do bring the over-the-door hanger, and the rule is nothing is to be left out on the counter. Same with the desk/dresser area.

Also, think of it this way.... there is not much time spent in the cabin, and the time you are there - early morning or late at night, are two of the best times to enjoy your balcony...

We often get one category E balcony room with an inside or a promenade across the hall for our kids. Most of the time, this costs around the same price as squeezing us all into a D category balcony room, and it is well worth it. However, this is only a good option if your children are old enough to stay alone (ours were 13 and 11 the first time they had their own cabin). There is a unique combination on Voyager/Freedom class ships in the side-facing rear corners of deck 9 where a D1 connects to an inside.

If your kids are young enough to share a sofa bed that's approx "full" sized, then the quad balcony cabin would be fine. Otherwise, I'd book two insides or two promenades over one balcony, if the above options don't work out for you.

Whenever we have cruised with the kids, it's really about square footage. Honestly, it bothers us when we have to organize "OK, if you move here, I can do that there, etc". The two bathrooms are also a bonus. Inevitably someone will need to go, when someone else is already there......

I would suggest that you consider this when choosing the room format. My inclination would be 2 interiors.

Thanks to all, actually mi kids are too young. For that cruise they will be 3 and 6 yrs old. I think the space, the two bathrooms and the fact of having a private space for whenever they are sleeping are huge advantages. We would just leave the connecting doors open, and that should be it, just as if we were in a one or two bedroom apartment on land.

when I sail on Voyager on 28th June for my 21st I am in a Balcony cabin deck 10 aft of ship with my mum dad and brother!! It not only was cheaper for 4 in a balcony but we would much prefer to get up in the morning and stand out on the balcony and see whats going on rather than being inside. Yes there is only 1 bathroom but we have all stayed in a cabin together before and never had any problems. I vote balcony cabin every time:)

Our vote would be the balcony room if you have younger kids. We just had a balcony on the Voyager. Our kids are 8 and 11, and it worked out great. I think they are spoiled now and will never want an inside cabin - they loved being able to go on the balcony, especially in the mornings.

I would vote for the connecting interiors. The additional space and extra bathroom would be worth it.

On our first cruise our girls were 15 and 11, and we shared a balcony room with them. Although we had a great cruise, it was a bit tight. When the sofa bed was pulled out (and they came early; we had first seating and that's when they'd make up the room for bedtime) we would crawl over it to get to our side of the room.

You'll still have fun no matter what you decide!

Having cruised for the past 6 years with 2 children who were 8 and 10 at the time we started, I would absolutely say 2 interiors. The 2 bathrooms are a must for us. Also, at night, if you want to stay up watching tv, you can do so, room service can deliver you coffee in the morning and not wake the kids.

Also, if your kids still take rests or naps in the afternoon, you can do your own thing in your room, while they rest.

It also gives you and your spouse some privacy, after all it is your vacation too

Its really going to depend on your kids. We had a JS with our first cruise with our kids (ages 4 and 7) and it was great! But, our little one was done with napping...and both kids sleep like logs. Once they are asleep....they are out. We had our phone ringing, room service coming right into the room, opening and closing the balcony, TV on and not a peep out of them. I think if either of them was a light sleeper, we would have a problem. So if your kids are sound sleepers and can sleep anywhere, I'd get a balcony and don't miss out on the wonderful views and just relaxing out on the balcony. The bathroom for the 4 of us was not a problem - actually great - as with a JS you get a bathtub! Good luck in your decision!

We are on the LOS the same time as you and found out a few weeks ago that 2 GTY balcony rooms were $1,000.00 less than our D1 balcony room. We opted for the 2 GTY rooms as the cost savings was too much to pass up even though there was no GTY they would be together. I found out there are excellent bathroom/shower/locker facilities in the spa and I always take my morning shower there after a work out. Then I meet the rest of my family for a late breakfast in the Windjammer and ready for the day.

Archived