Sounds strange but..Are the decks on ships all the same height from the water?

kelzer

This probably sounds like a strange question, but let me explain. We had a cabin on the Crown on deck 5, midship, which we picked because we were concerned about motion sickness. It worked out really well for us. I figured deck 8 is not much higher so booked midship cabins (one balcony and one interior) on the LOS. I just checked the ship plans of each and it looks like deck 8 on the LOS is much higher than on the Crown. Is this possible? I looked at travelocity as well as the Royal and Princess websites. Perhaps we should change to a lower cabin.

Thanks!!

I think what the OP is asking is if deck 8 on the Crown is lower than deck 8 on an RCCL ship. And yes, given the fact that cruise ships for different lines are of very different designs and may even have a different number of decks depending on the size, I would imagine this is very possible.

Each deck is roughly equivalent to a story in a building, but they are not all numbered/named the same way.

Princess, for example, has no deck 13 on any of their ships, I suppose in deference to the superstition about 13 being bad luck.

Come to think of it, not all stories in a building are numbered in the same way either. I used to work in a building that had a Ground Floor, with offices numbered in double digits. The offices one story up were numbered starting with numeral one with 3 digits, rather than numeral two, and what most would call the 3rd floor was the 2nd by the office numbering system. Initially, it seemed confusing, but after being there awhile, it seemed perfectly normal.

No, it is not a joke - I knew it would look like one and obviously was not successful in explaining myself. :confused: Custompcsys, you are right in clarifying my intended question. If you check the websites and click on the decks of the ship plans, deck 8 is almost at the top of the ship on the LOS and much lower on the Crown.

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do?shipId=212&deckId=1489

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do;jsessionid=7FFABBB2DFCAAA59AB82CFF9AD183572.p0253?shipId=220

Yes, most definitely, RC decks are higher than their Princess counterparts. We were remarking on this just last month, after being on the Emerald in January and the Mariner in February. On the Emerald, the lowest "passenger" deck is Deck 5;the medical clinic is on Deck 4. On the Mariner, the lowest passenger deck is Deck 2; the medical clinic is on Deck 1. On Princess, the Promenade is on Deck 7; on the Mariner it was Deck 4. This makes RC ships approximately 3 decks higher (for the same numbered deck) than Princess, and that's before you get to Deck 13, which RC has and Princess does not. Bottom line, and the one that we noticed that got us analyzing deck height, was that Deck 14 on the Mariner was a lot higher than Deck 14 on the Emerald...4 decks higher above the water.

I usually look for the Main deck or Promenade deck, regardless of the number of the deck or the name of the deck, and will go up a deck or two, but no higher.

I want to be able to enjoy my balcony, and I suffer from a fear of heights, so would not want to be on a very high deck.

There is no requirement that deck numbers correspond to a certain distance above the water. Therefore, deck five on one ship may be higher or lower than deck five on another ship. Indeed, while on most ships a higher deck number means that the deck is higher on the ship on some ships (e.g. QE2) the higher the deck number, the closer the deck is to the water.

Each deck is roughly equivalent to a story in a building, but they are not all numbered/named the same way.

Princess, for example, has no deck 13 on any of their ships, I suppose in deference to the superstition about 13 being bad luck.

I have never seen a deck or floor 13 on any structure.;)

Mike:)

I have never seen a deck or floor 13 on any structure.;)

I've wondered about this on cruise ships... I'm kind of thinking that if Deck 13 sinks, you're not going to be a lot better off on Deck 14...;)

There is always a deck 13 or floor 13 if the ship/building goes that high. It may not be numbered as such, however, in REALITY it is number 13. Just because we don't want to think of it that way does not mean what we think is the truth of the matter. Accept it for being deck/floor 13 and deal with it.

The office tower I work in has a 13th floor and that happens to be the floor I work on too. :)

That is quite unusual. In all the office bldgs that I have been in Chicago, Atlanta, et al I have never seen a 13.

And FredS, are you always this pleasant or is it just the season?:p

Princess numbers their decks from the bottom of the ship, while RCI and Carnival start with passenger decks. I'm not sure what they call the 3 or 4 crew only decks below deck 1.

That is quite unusual. In all the office bldgs that I have been in Chicago, Atlanta, et al I have never seen a 13.

And FredS, are you always this pleasant or is it just the season?:p

Well, FredS is correct... if a ship had a designated deck 13, would it be more apt to sink? All big ships have a deck 13, it's just sophistry to deny it.

As for the difference between the numbering of decks of RCCI and Princess ships, RCCI appears to start numbering their decks starting with the public decks. So their deck 2 would seem to correspond to deck 5 on a Princess ship.

Well, FredS is correct... if a ship had a designated deck 13, would it be more apt to sink? All big ships have a deck 13, it's just sophistry to deny it.

FredS never posted anything about deck 13 sinking that was Garn.:confused:

And no one denied that ships or bldgs have 13 floors, they are just not (usually) desinated as such.

FredS never posted anything about deck 13 sinking that was Garn.:confused:

And no one denied that ships or bldgs have 13 floors, they are just not (usually) desinated as such.

:p Well, I was agreeing with FredS' comment about the "13" superstition. Many skeptics are very blunt concerning their disbelief of the supernatural. The sinking part I stuck in... without reference to Garn... :)

And yeah, it IS denial if the 13th floor exists, but the builder/owner chooses to call it the 14th. I'm sure it's with a wink and a nod to the superstition, but really... fearing a number? (Whew... good thing there is no cabin 666!! :rolleyes:) As FredS sez, "deal with it". And anyway, since the decks all have names, why not just get rid of the numbers altogether? Then everyone's happy! :D

Just wanted to throw in the fact that in Asia, you rarely see a 4th floor for the same reason-- which we learned for the first time at a Mandarin Oriental in Florida! Evidently in some buildings (i think in HK) there is no 4, 14, 24, 34, etc (th) floor. So it could be crazier than simply skipping deck 13 :)

Also as a matter of technicality, I think you would be slightly better on the 14th deck than the 13th deck if the ship is sinking... for perhaps a few seconds to minutes, depending on the rate the ship is going down!

Finally, the OP may want to consider several other things (for motionsickness purposes) such as the deck height in relation to the ship's total size in addition to distance from the water, because I think there are other factors-- but I have no real idea how other than the most rudimentary grasp of basic physics... all things being equal, I felt that the 10th deck of the QM2 (which, iirc is numbered more closely to RCI) felt way more stable than the 6-8th decks of several princess ships.

Finally, the OP may want to consider several other things (for motionsickness purposes) such as the deck height in relation to the ship's total size in addition to distance from the water, because I think there are other factors-- but I have no real idea how other than the most rudimentary grasp of basic physics... all things being equal, I felt that the 10th deck of the QM2 (which, iirc is numbered more closely to RCI) felt way more stable than the 6-8th decks of several princess ships.

The QM2 has a totally different "ocean-liner" hull design that makes it inherently more stable than a cruise ship hull like Princess has.

Thanks for the clarification Dan-- I think what I was trying to say (with limited coherence) is that some cruise ships (in addition to liners like QM2) seem to be overall more or less stable &/or are affected by motion differently. For instance, while I'm not very familiar with RCI ships, on my recent Legend sailing in Asia the ship had a lot more rolling (in the Singapore harbour no less!) motion than a comparable Princess or Celebrity ship.

We just returned from Celebrity Mercury. We were on Sky Deck 12 and our GPS said we were 140 feet above sea level. We will be taking our GPS on the Ms. Zuiderdam in August and on the Golden next January. I'm sure all will vary because of the size of the ships.

Happy Cruising All,

Lin

Archived