I Need Your Advice Re: My Room Selection

Everyone has been so helpful with regard to researching our upcoming cruise and you've answered a lot of my questions. However, upon reading the threads regarding rooms, I'm wondering if we made the right choice. We are currently booked on 2/21/10 in connecting inside staterooms, category L and M, cabin #9609 & 9611. We originally chose these rooms because we didn't think we'd spend much time in our room, but on ship exploring and out on excursions at port. I just don't want to be sorry with our room selection. We are currently paying $799pp and $440 for 3rd & 4th plus taxes, etc.

I'm basically debating on whether or not we'd be better off moving to a hump room, promenade room or even oceanview or balcony.

We'll be travelling with our four kids (6-13).

I'd appreciate any advise you can provide since you've been cruising and will know if I'm making the right choice.

Happy Cruising! :)

If you can afford to bump up your cabins, go ahead, since having a balcony (in my opinion) extends both your actual space, and cabin usage. To me, having a balcony makes the time spent in my cabin of a nicer quality. Also, it sounds as if you may already be regretting your choice of inside cabins. If you truly are, then consider an upgrade.

To be fair and honest, I have never sailed an inside cabin. We chose a D balcony cabin for our first cruise, then RCCL surprised us, with an unexpected upgrade to a JS. Cruising without a balcony would cut into our cruise experience in a way that we are not wanting to go without. Getting fresh air first thing in the morning; coffee on the balcony; napping on the balcony...we like these things.

I am sure others who choose to cruise in an inside cabin will discuss their experiences, and why this works for them. It all depends on what your expectations are for your vacation. Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

I would book a nice balcony cabin for myself and let the kids stay in an inside across the hall. I doubt that the kids will care as they are going to be busy. The balcony will give you a place for some peace and quite.

We have considered this option. Since the kids are so young, I don't know how well I would sleep at night with them across the hall. Granted our oldest daughter will be nearly 13, but, is it safe???

Thank you for your input!

We have considered this option. Since the kids are so young, I don't know how well I would sleep at night with them across the hall. Granted our oldest daughter will be nearly 13, but, is it safe???

I can understand your concerns. As a mom, I would prefer adjoining cabins. Is there not a cabin configuration that includes a balcony and an adjoining interior? (or was I caffeine-deprived when I thought I saw that deck plan?) That would be perfect.

I would book a nice balcony cabin for myself and let the kids stay in an inside across the hall. I doubt that the kids will care as they are going to be busy. The balcony will give you a place for some peace and quite.

SEems like good advice, why don't you the OP take a look and see how much this would cost? I would do it now, we booked Freedom 550 days ahead and the rates went up before our cruise.

I can understand your concerns. As a mom, I would prefer adjoining cabins. Is there not a cabin configuration that includes a balcony and an adjoining interior? (or was I caffeine-deprived when I thought I saw that deck plan?) That would be perfect.

That would be perfect!!! Is that a possibility on the FOS? Anyone know?

It all depends on what kind of traveler you are! I can tell you that I had my first interior room on my last cruise, and I told myself never again. I thought that I would be fine with the smaller space and no windows, but I really did not care for it. I forgot to bring a LED travel clock, so I would wake up in the middle of the night and not know if it was midnight or 10am. When we stopped by the cabin mid-day to freshen up, pick something up, etc, it was too easy to fall on the bed and nap without any windows and sunshine as a motivator- but maybe that's just me- I'm a natural napper!

If you are just planning on using your stateroom to sleep, shower, and dress, then you might as well go for the interior and save the money for blended tropical drinks! But as a previous poster mentioned, the nicer room you have, the more it will be enjoyed and used- so you would get your money's worth no matter which room you get. :D

I just checked the deck plan for the FoS...It looks like deck 9, cabins 9696 and 9396 are both balcony cabins with an interior adjoining cabin. Both are at the extreme aft end of the ship. It looks like those two cabins are the only ones with that configuration. Worth checking into....good luck!

Updated: also 9516 and 9216 are both large oceanview staterooms at the extreme forward end with adjoining balcony rooms.

Look at the cabins on deck 9 toward the stern. There are D2 balcony cabins connecting to an L interior cabin. May have these on other decks - I didn't check.. These are in high demand so you would be very lucky to find them! Ask your TA or RCCL rep to help you find what you need. With a 13 year old in charge, I wouldn't be afraid to put the kids across the hall, but a connecting door with adjacent cabin is ideal.

I just checked the deck plan for the FoS...It looks like deck 9, cabins 9696 and 9396 are both balcony cabins with an interior adjoining cabin. Both are at the extreme aft end of the ship. It looks like those two cabins are the only ones with that configuration. Worth checking into....good luck!

Updated: also 9516 and 9216 are both large oceanview staterooms at the extreme forward end with adjoining balcony rooms.

Is it better to be toward the front or back of the ship?

And WOW, thanks for all your help! I've looked at the deck plans but they really don't make much sense to me! I really appreciate all your help, you guys are really the best!!!

Those cabins are small, 152 square feet includes the closet and bathroom! Not that it can't be done, especially since your kids are so young, but you will have a space issue.

Have you looked into the family interior cabins? There are 3 configurations with connecting doors - 7607/7609, 7307/7309 and 8607/8609.

If cost is an overwhelming factor (and how can it not be with 4 kids ;)) stay with what you have and have a wonderful cruise. Just remember to pack light :)

Those cabins are small, 152 square feet includes the closet and bathroom! Not that it can't be done, especially since your kids are so young, but you will have a space issue.

Have you looked into the family interior cabins? There are 3 configurations with connecting doors - 7607/7609, 7307/7309 and 8607/8609.

If cost is an overwhelming factor (and how can it not be with 4 kids ;)) stay with what you have and have a wonderful cruise. Just remember to pack light :)

What is the difference between a family interior cabin and just an interior stateroom? And yes, money is a factor, but it is our one vacation for 2010... and if the cost is not substantial, it's worth inquiring about. I just think that my TA is getting rather bored with me!!! :rolleyes:

Is it better to be toward the front or back of the ship?

There is more motion, I think, in the extreme forward than aft. BUT the ocean is a lot bigger than any ship, and motion can be felt anywhere on board, given certain conditions :)

Be aware that in any case, you will get plenty of exercise walking to and from these cabins. You will be on the extreme ends and it's a big ship!

If these cabin configurations work best for your family, I myself would choose the aft ones as my first choice.

Everyone has been so helpful with regard to researching our upcoming cruise and you've answered a lot of my questions. However, upon reading the threads regarding rooms, I'm wondering if we made the right choice. We are currently booked on 2/21/10 in connecting inside staterooms, category L and M, cabin #9609 & 9611. We originally chose these rooms because we didn't think we'd spend much time in our room, but on ship exploring and out on excursions at port. I just don't want to be sorry with our room selection. We are currently paying $799pp and $440 for 3rd & 4th plus taxes, etc.

I'm basically debating on whether or not we'd be better off moving to a hump room, promenade room or even oceanview or balcony.

My wife and I have cruised 20+ times and we have booked everything from an inside cabin with our two girls now ages 10 and 11, to the royal family suite for our upcoming cruise April 4th on the Independence. When our girls were younger and we found ourselves spending more time in the room getting ready for dinner and retiring early, we stayed in a cabin with a balcony so that while our children slept we could enjoy a drink and some time together on the balcony. An inside cabin is great when you only plan to use it to sleep in. with no outside view and its limited size, it can be small for the size of your family. However, by booking adjoining rooms you will surely have more space to accommodate your family. The best room we have had to date was a junior suite, plenty of space. What it comes down to is your budget. How much you are willing to spend.

if you're upgrading, your ta will be getting more commission. i would think they would be happy to help all they could.

keep after them to answer your questions. a good one wiil do all they can for you.

My wife and I have cruised 20+ times and we have booked everything from an inside cabin with our two girls now ages 10 and 11, to the royal family suite for our upcoming cruise April 4th on the Independence. When our girls were younger and we found ourselves spending more time in the room getting ready for dinner and retiring early, we stayed in a cabin with a balcony so that while our children slept we could enjoy a drink and some time together on the balcony. An inside cabin is great when you only plan to use it to sleep in. with no outside view and its limited size, it can be small for the size of your family. However, by booking adjoining rooms you will surely have more space to accommodate your family. The best room we have had to date was a junior suite, plenty of space. What it comes down to is your budget. How much you are willing to spend.

Will a junior suite sleep six? If so, what would the bed configuration be like? Do they offer JS interior, OV and balcony?

Thanks AGAIN!

We always get a balcony cabin when it is just my DH and I sailing. We use the balcony a lot. Recently we sailed with our 3 kids (ranging from 6 to 11yrs). We booked a balcony cabin and inside across the hall. DH slept in the inside with a child and the other 2 slept with me. I wasn't comfortable putting them in a cabin alone across the hall. This arrangement was a total pain. Next time I will do adjoining cabins.

Anyway, we hardly used the balcony at all (at least not how DH and I normally do). I should also mention we were on the Mariner and had the 7th deck corner aft which has an enormous balcony. The kids could have cared less about the balcony and did not want to sit and hang out on the balcony. We were always on the go with the kids. Next time we cruise with the kids, we will get 2 inside adjoining cabins. Of course, after doing that, I may come back and say we would definitely book a balcony next time.:p But for now, I would definitely save the money and book 2 insides.

Will a junior suite sleep six? If so, what would the bed configuration be like? Do they offer JS interior, OV and balcony?

Thanks AGAIN!

I don't think any JS would sleep 6 people. Even if they did, you would be miserable for a week in a JS with 6 people! Stay with 2 rooms (and 2 bathrooms).

Thanks AGAIN!

No JS will not sleep six. They are more the size of medium-sized hotel room, so not really a "suite" as we think of them. I think four is max in the JS....

We always get a balcony cabin when it is just my DH and I sailing. We use the balcony a lot. Recently we sailed with our 3 kids (ranging from 6 to 11yrs). We booked a balcony cabin and inside across the hall. DH slept in the inside with a child and the other 2 slept with me. I wasn't comfortable putting them in a cabin alone across the hall. This arrangement was a total pain. Next time I will do adjoining cabins.

Anyway, we hardly used the balcony at all (at least not how DH and I normally do). I should also mention we were on the Mariner and had the 7th deck corner aft which has an enormous balcony. The kids could have cared less about the balcony and did not want to sit and hang out on the balcony. We were always on the go with the kids. Next time we cruise with the kids, we will get 2 inside adjoining cabins. Of course, after doing that, I may come back and say we would definitely book a balcony next time.:p But for now, I would definitely save the money and book 2 insides.

Thank you for your insight. I was wondering how getting a balcony and inside stateroom across the hall would work for someone... and based on your experience, that just confirms my reasoning NOT to book this arrangement. Thanks again!

Thanks AGAIN!

Stay with two rooms over a junior suite. The newer ships like the Freedom have Family suites that sleep 4 to 8 people.

I'd appreciate any advise you can provide since you've been cruising and will know if I'm making the right choice.

Happy Cruising! :)

A few thoughts:

1) If you are going to provide your sail date, then don't list your cabin number. If you are going to provide your cabin number, don't list your sail date. The deck plans don't change from week to week.

2) Since you did provide all that information, I looked at the Royal Caribbean website. The least expensive inside is now $814 for the first two (so prices have gone up since you booked).

3) If you are in an inside, it doesn't matter where on the ship you are. However, there are a few options you might want to consider ...

A) Call Royal Caribbean (or your agent) and ask about a family inside or a family promenade view or a family ocean view. As you are currently booked, you are paying the full rate for four people (the first two in each of two cabins) and the lower rate for only two. With a family cabin you will pay a higher rate for the first two, but a reduced rate for the remaining four. And, you will all be on one cabin.

B) If you are concerned about the kids being across the hall, then you are not likely to feel to comfortable with your children in an connecting cabin with its own balcony. So, if you go with a balcony (for the parents) and a connecting cabin, you might want to limit the connecting cabin to an ocean view or inside (I'll look to see what I can find in this regard).

The advantage of an inside is that it is less expensive and once you are outside the cabin everyone is equal (except for the suite passengers - but lets not go there on this thread). The disadvantage is you have to leave the cabin to see what the weather is like.

There is an interesting alternative for Voyager and Freedom class ships. An inside with a window overlooking the Royal Promenade. You still have to leave the cabin to see what the weather is like, but at least you have a window.

The advantage of an ocean view is you don't have to leave the cabin to see what the weather is like. The disadvantage is you don't have your own private balcony.

The advantage of a balcony is you can sit outside and watch the world go by (very relaxing). The disadvantage is, you paid more for this privilege and if you don't use the balcony a lot, then you paid for something you are not using.

On the Freedom of the Seas your kids are going to be either in Adventure Ocean (Royal Caribbean children's program) or in the H2O Zone (a mini water park for kids), at one of the ports, eating or sleeping. As such, especially for a first timer, an inside might be your best choice (my first cruise was two weeks in Alaska in an inside cabin), since you may not get the full use of the balcony. On future cruises, knowing how much time you will or will not be in your cabin, you can choose to upgrade. As I noted above, the inside passengers eat the same food and use the same H2O Zone as the suite passengers (the suite passengers may get reserved seats and/or deck chairs).

If I were you, and I had the money to upgrade, I would go ocean view.

So now I'll check out the Freedom deck plan and let you know what I find.

Hi Cuizer,

I checked it out in this earlier post...maybe you will come up with more than I did.

A few thoughts:

1) If you are going to provide your sail date, then don't list your cabin number. If you are going to provide your cabin number, don't list your sail date. The deck plans don't change from week to week.

2) Since you did provide all that information, I looked at the Royal Caribbean website. The least expensive inside is now $814 for the first two (so prices have gone up since you booked).

3) If you are in an inside, it doesn't matter where on the ship you are. However, there are a few options you might want to consider ...

A) Call Royal Caribbean (or your agent) and ask about a family inside or a family promenade view or a family ocean view. As you are currently booked, you are paying the full rate for four people (the first two in each of two cabins) and the lower rate for only two. With a family cabin you will pay a higher rate for the first two, but a reduced rate for the remaining four. And, you will all be on one cabin.

B) If you are concerned about the kids being across the hall, then you are not likely to feel to comfortable with your children in an connecting cabin with its own balcony. So, if you go with a balcony (for the parents) and a connecting cabin, you might want to limit the connecting cabin to an ocean view or inside (I'll look to see what I can find in this regard).

The advantage of an inside is that it is less expensive and once you are outside the cabin everyone is equal (except for the suite passengers - but lets not go there on this thread). The disadvantage is you have to leave the cabin to see what the weather is like.

There is an interesting alternative for Voyager and Freedom class ships. An inside with a window overlooking the Royal Promenade. You still have to leave the cabin to see what the weather is like, but at least you have a window.

The advantage of an ocean view is you don't have to leave the cabin to see what the weather is like. The disadvantage is you don't have your own private balcony.

The advantage of a balcony is you can sit outside and watch the world go by (very relaxing). The disadvantage is, you paid more for this privilege and if you don't use the balcony a lot, then you paid for something you are not using.

On the Freedom of the Seas your kids are going to be either in Adventure Ocean (Royal Caribbean children's program) or in the H2O Zone (a mini water park for kids), at one of the ports, eating or sleeping. As such, especially for a first timer, an inside might be your best choice (my first cruise was two weeks in Alaska in an inside cabin), since you may not get the full use of the balcony. On future cruises, knowing how much time you will or will not be in your cabin, you can choose to upgrade. As I noted above, the inside passengers eat the same food and use the same H2O Zone as the suite passengers (the suite passengers may get reserved seats and/or deck chairs).

If I were you, and I had the money to upgrade, I would go ocean view.

So now I'll check out the Freedom deck plan and let you know what I find.

Your kindness is overwhelming!!! I only wish my TA were as helpful as y'all!

With regard to the balcony for the kids room; I've been told that your room steward can lock those balcony doors so the only access you have to the two balconies would be through our room. Does that sound correct?

Yes, I have noticed that our rates did go up since we booked. We only booked last weekend! It's an interesting perspective regarding the family cabin, and how that is priced. I have an email in to our TA to have her quote these for us. I'm curious to know how much more that would cost us...

To be honest... I might be making a mountain out of a molehill. When it comes down to it, I'd rather spend more $ on excursions at port than on my room because I'm thinking we won't be spending a lot of time there. Given I have never cruised, that is what most questionable... How much time will we actually spend in our room??? If I knew the answer to that question, it might help in my room choice.

So, given that new information... HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND IN YOUR ROOM???

Archived