Teens Want to bring PS3 Game Console

Cardancer4

Do the TV's in the cabins have the ports so you can plug in the PS 3 game console. My sons want to bring their PS3 which also play movies and games on them, etc. Thanks!:D

It kinda depends on the ship you're on...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=948221

This other thread actually has a picture of the back of one the TV's on the splendor. If you have the same or similar tv you might have component, composite, and SVHS connections available. FWIW, I've found that in some hotels they have special remotes that don't include the function to switch to an auxiliary source (ie the ps3). The quick way to remedy this is to bring a cheap universal remote and program it to your tv in your room.

Good luck!...

my son is a gamer .. and cruising in one place he doesn't miss them. he wanted to bring it on the first one we planned. i gave him the alternative, cruise without games or stay at home. since then he's never asked again about bringing a system.

there is always enough going on between ship activities and excursion to keep him busy.

why pay for a cruise if you're going to sit in a cabin playing video games?

From Carnival's FAQ: Are There Restrictions on What We Can Bring Aboard?

VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: These items cannot be utilized on board because of the incompatibility of the units with the stateroom televisions. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

I've heard various people saying that the newer ships have AUX inputs accessible on the front panel. YMMV. But that's their official word, but some ships might be more accommodating.

The TV's in the state rooms usually have the "AUX" ports disable (well missing on the remote). So as not to have another guest checking in not being able to watch normal TV without a call to engineering.

How old is the kid? There are some kids clubs on board that offer Wii and others..and of course there's always the arcade.

I am a gamer, but i just bring my DS with me. I use it mainly on the way to and from the cruise. I'll use it during downtime like before i go to bed, or if I'm up and ready before my friend. But it is handheld, I dont have to mess with hooking it up to a tv, plus it's compact enough to keep in my purse or the safe where i dont have to worry about it being stolen. Something like that might be a better alternative.

Our boys 21,20, both took there PS3 with them in January. They also brought there 22 inch monitor. They didnt play alot but they did have about 10 other gamers in there cabin every night after midnight for games. It also led to meeting a few hotties who didn't like the drink crowd but did like the gamers.

My son took his on the Liberty last summer and it worked fine. Better to have them in the cabin playing games than running in the hall...

What ship are you going on.

Had to changed that spelling of Worked!!!! Sorry;)

Do the TV's in the cabins have the ports so you can plug in the PS 3 game console. My sons want to bring their PS3 which also play movies and games on them, etc. Thanks!:D

From those of you who have actually brought a PS3 or Xbox, is it worth hauling it with you?

I might be wrong, but with so much to do on the ship (especially for teens with Club 02 activities), wouldn't bringing your own entertainment be the equivalent of bringing your own food?

To the OP, What ship will be sailing on? Some ships with the older TV's might not be have the proper connections. If you do bring the PS3, let us know if your kids used it and how much.

You're kidding right??:confused: I would not even entertain the thought of bringing our boys XBox...There is so much to do and see!

Why people... why? The OP asked a very legitimate question and did not solicit your parenting skills regarding what might be appropriate for their kids on their vacation. If some teens want to use their Playstation/Xbox in their cabin.... they should! If THEIR parents have an objection, it's a family decision.... not a general debate. Simple as that... I personally feel it's a good way for them to be entertained late at night. We all know they are going to stay up late anyway.... If they are under 18 and the teen club is closed, their only alternative is to hang out at the pizzeria or find some way to get into trouble ;). I'm sure there are plenty of other threads regarding this issue (teens hanging out all at all hours of the night) where the response is about having a curfew like RCCL. How are they missing out on "so much to see and do" by playing some Madden with their friends (as long as they aren't making noise to disturb their fellow guests of course ;))? A vacation is about relaxing and enjoying yourself. Is someone reading a book in their cabin missing out on all the things the ship has to offer? Same idea.....

Edited by pmang

Just my opinion, but, maybe just this once, the gamers should try a dose of Actual Reality. :rolleyes:

I can understand kids wanting to bring their XBOX or PS2 or whatever. Sea days may get a bit boring for the younger cruisers. There is only so much that goes on for kids on sea days, especially if they don't go to Camp Carnival or Club O2. JMHO.

Why people... why? The OP asked a very legitimate question and did not solicit your parenting skills regarding what might be appropriate for their kids on their vacation. If some teens want to use their Playstation/Xbox in their cabin.... they should! If THEIR parents have an objection, it's a family decision.... not a general debate. Simple as that... I personally feel it's a good way for them to be entertained late at night. We all know they are going to stay up late anyway.... If they are under 18 and the teen club is closed, their only alternative is to hang out at the pizzeria or find some way to get into trouble ;). I'm sure there are plenty of other threads regarding this issue (teens hanging out all at all hours of the night) where the response is about having a curfew like RCCL. How are they missing out on "so much to see and do" by playing some Madden with their friends (as long as they aren't making noise to disturb their fellow guests of course ;))? A vacation is about relaxing and enjoying yourself. Is someone reading a book in their cabin missing out on all the things the ship has to offer? Same idea.....

Thank you!! That was definately needed..

Some peiople get on here and think that they need to add their 2 cents without even answering the question.. I can see why some people have such high post counts..

Like has been said, it will keep them from wondering the ship and finding trouble..

The OP does not state the childrens ages, so they may not be able to access the programs from Carnival....

Yes you can and yes we do every summer since Heathen #2 was 13. Only on one out of 4 cruises have we had to call engineering and they switched the TV for him. We bring our own AV cables though as they will not provide those.

Last year our son loaned the system to one of the musicians (drummer) and our asst steward while we were in port one day so they could play the newest Halo game........he was a big hit with the crew and they kept him in free sodas and he saw the crew quarters etc.

He's 16 so for us it's a money saver as the arcade would easily be a couple of 100 bucks a day.

Some people like to partcipate in shipboard activities our son does not and that is OK with us.

:cool:I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I might do something crazy like asking my son if he wants to take his xbox since we have decided not to get off of the ship in Cozumel. Before I bring the subject up with him, do you know about the tv's on the Triumph?

Very well said! I was thinking the same thing. A question was asked, no opinion was requested!:cool:

My almost 13 year old son always cruises with a system, and we always bring a portable monitor/DVD unit just in case the tv in the cabin gives us trouble, but so far it has always worked.

We are on Splendor in a few weeks and he's bringing his PS3...I fully expect other kids to wind up in his cabin playing. Just remember your own cables and you should be ok.