Box Lunch - POA

travelteach326

SP Morrissey,

I live in a wine producing area where the sharpshooters are a concern. There has yet to be any measurable damage from them so far. As for where they came from, I am not sure where they originated, but the ones that made it up here in Northern Cali were traced to a nursery from the Los Angeles area and not in a sandwich.

I wish I knew who is responsible for introducing fire ants because I hate those things.

I don't feel that beachchick has 'gone on'...she is just trying to enlighten some people on what the issue is. Some people are okay with being told..'no it isn't okay to do that' and other people want to know why the reasoning is.

I applaud beachchick for taking such a strong stand on this issue as well as taking the time and making the effort to explain why it's so important. While it's true that infestations do occur naturally, that doesn't mean that humans shouldn't do all that we can to minimize the problem. Observing local regulations is a good place to start.

Beachchick, thank you again for your expertise in this area. I am the original poster of this question and as it turns out I am so happy that you were able to give me a straight answer. I really had no idea that passengers are not allowed to take fresh food off cruise ships in Hawaii. I knew that this was not permitted in the Carribbean, etc.

Thanks again!

I am amazed at how much you are into this subject. We need more people like you. When I say that, I mean that I wish more people were like you in bringing in illegal things to California. We could use a lot more support in the area of illegal immigrants, these are things that are all over California that need to be taken care of also.

And yes, I am joking. When someone goes on like you, and easy target arises. We all know that there are problems like this, but when one chooses to fight everyone on the boards, it becomes very comical and the message gets lost.

Hm, how do I writ this politely? I guess this: I don't give a rip if you think I'm an "easy target" for you and others to make fun of. What a shame you think I am (or the subject is) comical. It isn't, but there's no changing your mind set, so I shall stop trying. I don't believe the message gets lost in explaining the reasoning and history, but whatever floats your boat (er, that is, ship). Either people will or will not take seriously the very important regulations. (Just for drill: What about the sharpshooter that laid eggs on lettuce that didn't get fully cleaned and then was used in a sandwich? Don't know it's happened and it probably hasn't, but it could. That's one way that other pests have traveled farther than they could on their own.) BTW, did you live through the Med fly eradication? I did.

Beachchick, thank you again for your expertise in this area. I am the original poster of this question and as it turns out I am so happy that you were able to give me a straight answer. I really had no idea that passengers are not allowed to take fresh food off cruise ships in Hawaii. I knew that this was not permitted in the Carribbean, etc.

Thanks again!

My pleasure to help. I'm glad you asked. In fact, until James confirmed it, I wasn't 100% positive that the Dept of Ag in Hawaii had rescinded the exemptions for NCLA PoAm pax. Rather a shame, really. It was nice, for once, to be able to take a picnic lunch for 2 of our port days. These are good questions to ask so that we know what is legal and not. I am the type who usually wants to know why regulations have been set in place, which is one reason I try to explain. Then people will realize that it's not arbitrary (and hopefully, they will realize that my answers are not intended as a criticism for asking the question and wanting to know the reasons).

Hope you have a delightful experience in Hawaii. (BTW, if you need any advice for where to find some quick and easy picnic supplies near the ports, please ask. Many of us Hawaii fans can give you some of our favorites--and they're usually inexpensive, local food to boot.):D

beachchick

I love cruise critic and all the information it has to offer thanks to all its members. It is a quick and easy way to research different destinations. Recently, I have seen way too many posts that don't even help its members with their travel plans. Yes, we all have a sense of humor, but sometimes we just want to cut to the chase and research whenever information is available. I am sure Beachchick that you have seen a big change in posts since you first joined CC.

Yes, I would love to receive some information on the different dining/boxed lunch options that are available on the islands. Thanks to CC I have two places on Maui for our Road to Hana trip. Both CJS Maui and Cafe Mambo will both be open on Easter Sunday. I do need info for Hilo (have rented a car - thinking about Voclcano National Park) Kona and Kauai (We will probably look for a nice nearby beach) . We will be firming up our plans this weekend since we will be leaving for our trip on 4/4. We will be arriving in Honolulu on 4/5 and will enjoy the North end of the Island until Saturday. We plan on visiting Pearl Harbor leaving Turtle Bay at around 6:30am.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I've read the posts on this and another thread and was about to just take the information as factual, especially when James weighed in on the matter. I always like to see factual info posted on CC, so I went to the HDOA website and searched for food items not allowed into Hawaii from the outside. The only foods that were restricted were fruits & vegetables, milk, eggs, and live animals. If anyone has factual information about bringing food items into Hawaii, please cite the evidence. I'm sure many would appreciate it.

DT

Hope you have a delightful experience in Hawaii. (BTW, if you need any advice for where to find some quick and easy picnic supplies near the ports, please ask. Many of us Hawaii fans can give you some of our favorites--and they're usually inexpensive, local food to boot.):D

beachchick

What are some of your favorites, beachchick?

DT

Archived