What was your favorite...

BeccaC

I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to know what everyone's favorite excursion, port, or just thing to do in Alaska is. Maybe it was some hole in the wall shop or restaurant you happened to come across during your adventures. Whatever it is, do tell all. Maybe even include some of the worst things you've done. Why not. Happy cruising.

I had waited many years to go to Alaska, the place where I was born. I jammed as much in as I possibly could. The highlights:

1. Sled Dog excursion -Played w/ 6 wk old pups after the sled ride.

2. Mendenhall Glacier - I was quite gray and foggy when we arrived. Within 10 minutes the sky cleared and the site was breathtaking.

3. Hubbard Glacier - I have seen glaciers calving on TV, but see and hear it right in front of you is truly amazing and something I will never forget.

Of course there was my personal journey back home. I spent the day wandering around Anchorage. I went by where my old house was. I went downtown and saw pictures of what the area looked like before and after the Earthquake in 1964, and realized how lucky I was to have survived it. I watched the movie about the earthquake and bought the book.

I had waited many years to go to Alaska, the place where I was born. I jammed as much in as I possibly could. The highlights:

1. Sled Dog excursion -Played w/ 6 wk old pups after the sled ride.

2. Mendenhall Glacier - I was quite gray and foggy when we arrived. Within 10 minutes the sky cleared and the site was breathtaking.

3. Hubbard Glacier - I have seen glaciers calving on TV, but see and hear it right in front of you is truly amazing and something I will never forget.

Of course there was my personal journey back home. I spent the day wandering around Anchorage. I went by where my old house was. I went downtown and saw pictures of what the area looked like before and after the Earthquake in 1964, and realized how lucky I was to have survived it. I watched the movie about the earthquake and bought the book.

Truly touching. I have done the same thing only it was Savannah, GA. The years, many years, don't erase the roots.

Jack

for the

I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to know what everyone's favorite excursion, port, or just thing to do in Alaska is. Maybe it was some hole in the wall shop or restaurant you happened to come across during your adventures. Whatever it is, do tell all. Maybe even include some of the worst things you've done. Why not. Happy cruising.

This place was so fun and the food was great. Other than that just sitting in the Schooner bar, listening to Derek Lewis and watching the world go by was fantastic. :D

I love the WP&YR trip in Skagway but my real thrill in Aug 2007 was to revisit Moe's Frontier Bar...it was a bar that I had been served beer in by the town's police officer as and 18 year old some 45 years before when I worked as a crew member on cruise ship.:D I believe that Moe's is now closed but perhaps someone like Yukon can confirm that.

I think that I shared some of that memory with you re. your adventure, some time ago, on this site, PD. Sad to share that you were one of the last customers of Moe's, on your trip here in '07.

I guess that we just "needed" one more jewelery store, on Broadway!?!

At any rate, the bar is history, but the battle with the historical society rages on...

When you are back in Skagway, pop around the back of the "Days of '98" Show, where you will find the Eagles Hall which houses the oldest backbar in the whole state of Alaska. Find the oldest person in the bar, ask the bartender, (it may be Jim Richards!)Tell them your story and if Jim happens to be in I am sure that your first libation will go on my tab!

The best memories of this place are those shared with our visitors!

DD

Agree that the White Pass RR trip was fantastic. We were there in early Sept. and the foliage was superb. Next on the list was the whale watching excursion. Seeing Mendenhall Glacier up close was another highlight. Whatever you do, bring a camera for lots of pictures. Mother nature sure did Good in Alaska..:)

Our favorite was the 2 weeks post-cruise in a rented RV seeing so MANY fabulous sites, including taking the shuttle to Wonder Lake in Denali and the staying at the Seward waterfront park and the Homer "Fishing Hole".

On the cruise itself, it would be:

1. Floatplane to Misty Fjords with Michelle

2. Glacier helo landing and Orca Ent. Whalewatching in Juneau

Archived