Best thing to do in St. Martin

danielbriere

Folks:

My family will be stopping in St. Martin soon and we're looking for the best excursion or other activity for the day. I've looked around and haven't really been blown away by anything yet. That's not to suggest there aren't fantastic things to do, I'm just not feeling it.

So I'm hoping those of you who are passionate about the place will state your case for our best option. It's my wife and I, a teenage daughter and nearly teenage son. We're open to just about anything as long as it's fun (and preferably not requiring a share of Obama's stimulus plan to afford).

I appreciate any help you can offer.

America's Cup Yacht race is a lot of fun even if you are not a sailor but will run you about 100pp through cruise line. Golden Eagle catamaran I think about same price (lots of rum punch- imho geared to older teens) We have also done Bayside stables on our own for beach ride.(I think about $50 @) they have a website with prices. From what I remember the cab ride was about $20 @ way for 2 of us) We have never been to Maho beach where the planes fly right over your head but are trying it this year (see video on youtube).You could take a cab there for an inexpensive outing. Rent lawn chairs for day or just spread out on a towel. There is also a beach right near the downtown for free. I have heard in front of Holland House hotel is the best place to lay out ( Blue awning on hotel) Cabs to the french side can get pricey and the shopping was out of my league ($700 jeans, $600 sundress). WHile Orient Beach was beautiful & they had a water trampoline & other water equipment to rent the cab fare imho didn't justify.

The America's Cup racing was for our family a great event! The highlight of our cruise!

I am thinking we might want to do this with our 21 yr old son. I think HE would enjoy it, but we wouldn't want to "work" the race, can we just sit back and is it enjoyable to do so? The description of this is sort of weak in any literature we have seen. thanks for any and all info.

We took a ferry to the beach. I believe it was $6 or $8 per person and that was for all day. The beach was free and on the beach were bars restaurants and TONS of shops!

We rented an umbrella, 2 lounge chairs and it came with a bucket of drinks for $20

I am thinking we might want to do this with our 21 yr old son. I think HE would enjoy it, but we wouldn't want to "work" the race, can we just sit back and is it enjoyable to do so? The description of this is sort of weak in any literature we have seen. thanks for any and all info.

We had a blast doing it. My husband worked and I was an iceberg spotter. Needless to say I was able to keep the team safe :-) After we they dropped us off instead of going back to the port with them we walked to the beach you can see from their shop. $15 for 2 chairs, an umbrella and a bucket of beer and soda. Wonderful day.

When you're on the tender heading out to the racing yacht they ask how active you want to be. Primary grinder is most active and is a lot of work, main grinder is less work, timekeeper just requires watching a stopwatch (but still very important), and then there are the bartender and iceberg spotters... :D

I have to say, the America's Cup yacht racing is by far, the most fun I have ever had on any excursion. The grinder positions are tough, but not too bad (my sister and mother did it). Some people have to work the ropes, which is more just paying attention and listening to the crew, my wife did this. Considering I was hung over, and the wife was seasick, we still had a GREAT time, and would have been even better had we both been 100%.

When you first set the main sail and start moving, it is an intense experience as the boat tilts way over, but you get used to it. It is also very cool being on the actual boats that raced in and won America's Cup events.

There were several people in our tour group that had done this excursion 3 and 4 times before. that says something.

What would be typical America's Cup "jobs" for a 10 year old girl and a 12 year old boy? This is sounding like fun for my family.

From their website:

Can we bring our children on the tour?

We do not encourage children under the age of 12, unless they are from a sailing family or are very strong or big for their age.

gary

From their website:

Can we bring our children on the tour?

We do not encourage children under the age of 12, unless they are from a sailing family or are very strong or big for their age.

gary

Ahh, thanks for that info. We're definitely not a sailing family, LOL! When I look at the Royal Caribbean shore excursion listing it verifies the 12 year old requirement.

I'm sure we'll find something fun to do. :) Thanks again.

taking a taxi to Maho Beach around 12:30 to watch the jets land. Right next to the very nice beach is Sunset Beach Bar where they serve great food and beverages. The scheduled landings are posted on a surf board next to Sunset Beach Bar. This inexpensive "self made" excursion was a highlight of our cruise two weeks ago. Check it out by doing a search on You Tube - Maho Beach jets.

Archived