Amtrak Seattle - Vancouver

cindep

Just a heads up for anyone who has plans to take this in Spring/Summer 2009. We were contacted by Amtrak yesterday that the equipment will be a Superliner with basically a snack bar type of food available. We had originally booked "Business class", and it will not be available for our trip May 24.

From their web site, it appears they are refurbishing the cars they normally use on this train.

It was nice they let us know several months in advance. We will be certain to pick up something for breakfast before we board.

Just a heads up for anyone who has plans to take this in Spring/Summer 2009. We were contacted by Amtrak yesterday that the equipment will be a Superliner with basically a snack bar type of food available. We had originally booked "Business class", and it will not be available for our trip May 24.

From their web site, it appears they are refurbishing the cars they normally use on this train.

It was nice they let us know several months in advance. We will be certain to pick up something for breakfast before we board.

You don't mention it, but I'm assuming they are refunding the difference in ticket price. Correct?

Yes, they are supposed to refund us the difference. That is interesting that they've been doing this for 2 years! That's kind of false advertising on their part. Like you said, they may not have any intention of ever offering the upgraded service. I would think this is a fairly good money maker for them, especially during the summer.

Oh well. We're booked and paid for, so as long as we get to Vancouver safe and sound I'm OK with it. The most important thing is to be prepared with something for breakfast to take on the train with us that morning. Since we're from the East coast, I'll be starving by 7:30 Pacific time!!!

Yes, they are supposed to refund us the difference. That is interesting that they've been doing this for 2 years! That's kind of false advertising on their part. Like you said, they may not have any intention of ever offering the upgraded service. I would think this is a fairly good money maker for them, especially during the summer.

Oh well. We're booked and paid for, so as long as we get to Vancouver safe and sound I'm OK with it. The most important thing is to be prepared with something for breakfast to take on the train with us that morning. Since we're from the East coast, I'll be starving by 7:30 Pacific time!!!

I never travel anything but business class. It ticks me off that they've been up to this for so long. They were supposed to have it active by September, but I seriously doubt that they will.

I also reserved business class for June 19. The only call I got was to remind me that I need to enter Passport numbers before we leave or I won't be issued a ticket. I guess I'll call and check.

Cruise lover, How far ahead should we get to the station?

I never travel anything but business class. It ticks me off that they've been up to this for so long. They were supposed to have it active by September, but I seriously doubt that they will.

OK..really i thought they pulled the cars to fix brake issues...and maybe fix them up...they STILL didn't get it together??? DUMB!

And if they are using superliner cars, why the heck cant they leave the real diner car on them??? sheesh! heck for 4 hours i'd book a sleeper for a day if they used those!

silly silly amtrak! i LOVE the railroad, but they need to get David Gunn back....he TRIED at least.

Finally called Amtrak about my June 19 reservation. The agent didn't know anything about a change in cars for this trip. He double checked my reservation and it still shows biz class. He said I would definately bet a call if there were a change.

For what it's worth, the coach seats in the Superliner cars are very comfortable and have a lot of leg room in my opinion. I'll admit I have not experienced the snack bar to be able to compare it to the food car on the Cascades. But, the food car on the Cascades is not a full dining car either.

While the Business Class seating is nice and quiet, and I do upgrade if seats are available to Portland, the trip in coach in the Superliner car is not bad.

OK..really i thought they pulled the cars to fix brake issues...and maybe fix them up...they STILL didn't get it together??? DUMB!

And if they are using superliner cars, why the heck cant they leave the real diner car on them??? sheesh! heck for 4 hours i'd book a sleeper for a day if they used those!

silly silly amtrak! i LOVE the railroad, but they need to get David Gunn back....he TRIED at least.

I agree with you 100% on everything you've said. They should have had those cars back over a year ago, so I'm beginning to think we may never see them again on the YVR run.

"Real Dinning cars" are only on long distance trains, all commute trains have "Cafe Cars" where you can get various take to your seat food. The Superliners are a very comfortable car. I have never been on a Talgo but I do know that they are complete train sets and have to go out as such where as all others consists you can change out a single car in a consist. Of course I always have a reserved seat on the trains I am on where the leg room is not always that great but it does pay the bills.

"Real Dinning cars" are only on long distance trains, all commute trains have "Cafe Cars" where you can get various take to your seat food. The Superliners are a very comfortable car. I have never been on a Talgo but I do know that they are complete train sets and have to go out as such where as all others consists you can change out a single car in a consist. Of course I always have a reserved seat on the trains I am on where the leg room is not always that great but it does pay the bills.

The Seattle-Vancouver Cascades with the Talgos were always a bit unusual for a short run train in offering a "dining car" in addition to a snack bar. The "dining car" just served pre-plated food heated in a convection oven, but it was decent food and a nice atmosphere. It was completely run by one person, while a regular diner takes at least 4. That and the fact that Amtrak barely has enough Superliner dining cars to cover the LDs that actually need it is why there isn't one.

The Vancouver run was the only Cascades that offered it.

The lack of the dining car in my view is the only drawback of having the Superliners. Otherwise the seats are a lot more comfortable (the regular seats in the Superliners are better than the first class Talgo seats -- they recline further) and the view is much better.

As of today, I still don't have a refund from Amtrak on my credit card statement. I wonder how many weeks it will take to get the extra fare back!

We were told that we have to actually go to the ticket desk on the day of departure and we'll get the refund at that time.

The Seattle-Vancouver Cascades with the Talgos were always a bit unusual for a short run train in offering a "dining car" in addition to a snack bar. The "dining car" just served pre-plated food heated in a convection oven, but it was decent food and a nice atmosphere. It was completely run by one person, while a regular diner takes at least 4. That and the fact that Amtrak barely has enough Superliner dining cars to cover the LDs that actually need it is why there isn't one.

The Vancouver run was the only Cascades that offered it.

The lack of the dining car in my view is the only drawback of having the Superliners. Otherwise the seats are a lot more comfortable (the regular seats in the Superliners are better than the first class Talgo seats -- they recline further) and the view is much better.

I must admit that I am not all that familiar with the Talgo's but then I am down here in Oak-Sac CB and we don't have any Talgo's down here just the commutes, Zepher and Starlight. In Fact Day one (actually night one as we leave Sac at midnight) will be the Starlight from Sac to Sea. My wife and I are very much looking forward to it!!!

Does anyone know how far the Amtrak station in Seattle is from SeaTac airport? We're taking a cruise tour to Alaska in June through Princess. Our tour starts in Seattle on the same day as the cruise. We meet at the airport at 11:00am where we are loaded on a bus for a 4 hour ride to Vancouver :eek: We would really prefer to get on the ship earlier than 3:30 - 4:00 pm, so we are trying to figure out the best way to solve the problem so that we can get on the ship around noon or so. My other questions are: 1) Are there any nice hotels close to the Amtrak station? 2). If we stayed in a hotel close to the airport, how do-able is getting from the airport to the Amtrak station on a weekday morning? 3). What would be the best mode of transportation to get from the airport area to the train station? 4). How does it take 4 hours to get from Seattle to Vancouver? Just looking at the mileage, it seems like it shouldn't take any more than 2-1/2 to 3 hours at the most.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Trudy

"How does it take 4 hours to get from Seattle to Vancouver? Just looking at the mileage, it seems like it shouldn't take any more than 2-1/2 to 3 hours at the most."

If it was just based on driving times you are right but you have to cross the border into Canada and since 9/11 this has become a much more involved process - depending on how many other buses are there at the same time the wait to get inspected is what takes the time as they only do one bus at a time - the same is true for entering the US by bus from Canada - you must get off the bus and take your luggage inside and then wait for the Canadian Border people to check your documents - passport.

The bus companies know from their experience on average how long the border waits take - on my last trip south we were the only bus at the time and breezed through and arrive in Seattle almost an hour early - on my return trip to Vancouver there were three buses and a couple of language students coming to Canada for studies that took a longer time to process and we were late getting into Vancouver.

If you don't want the cruise tour - take a look at the Quick shuttle link - they run a direct service from Sea-Tac to Canada Place where you ship will be.

http://www.quickcoach.com/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Does anyone know how far the Amtrak station in Seattle is from SeaTac airport? We're taking a cruise tour to Alaska in June through Princess. Our tour starts in Seattle on the same day as the cruise. We meet at the airport at 11:00am where we are loaded on a bus for a 4 hour ride to Vancouver :eek: We would really prefer to get on the ship earlier than 3:30 - 4:00 pm, so we are trying to figure out the best way to solve the problem so that we can get on the ship around noon or so. My other questions are: 1) Are there any nice hotels close to the Amtrak station? 2). If we stayed in a hotel close to the airport, how do-able is getting from the airport to the Amtrak station on a weekday morning? 3). What would be the best mode of transportation to get from the airport area to the train station? 4). How does it take 4 hours to get from Seattle to Vancouver? Just looking at the mileage, it seems like it shouldn't take any more than 2-1/2 to 3 hours at the most.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Trudy

If you are refering to the early morning train...I would assume that it takes 4 hours due to the stops it makes along the way. I'll be riding it for the first time in late May. Since you would need to be at the train station by 6:30 A.M. I would think that would require an awfully early wake up to get from SEA-TAC to the Amtrak station. We are staying at the Silver Cloud Stadium Hotel which is 2 blocks from the Amtrak station. It's right next to the Mariners & Seahawks stadiums when you look at a map of Seattle. I've been told its safe to walk the 2 blocks to the station but the hotel will provide a free shuttle if you need it. They will also shuttle you, for free, in an area 2 miles around the hotel...which would cover a lot of the downtown attractions I would think. The Silver Cloud Stadium Hotel is currently (at least they were last Friday) running a $149 special for the summer. From the other rates I've seen...thats a great price for a nice hotel in Seattle. From the suggestions of SeattleCruiseLover, we have booked "Already There" towncar service from SEA-TAC to the hotel for $50...about what you will pay for a cab.

Dennis: Thanks for the info! The 4 hours that it takes from Sea-Tac to Vancouver makes more sense now. I would still like to leave Seattle earlier than 11:00, so I will be looking into our options for that.

ukbballfan: Thanks for the info on the Silver Cloud Stadium Hotel! If we do end up taking the train, that may work out really well for us. We'll be on the Island Princess in June.

Trudy

Archived