Is Bert Stratton Still on the CB?

kkochenber

He actually left actively performing on the CB last year and moved to Nashville - proving conclusively that there is, in fact, a God who is merciful :D

From what I have read on other threads he is doing a couple of "reunion" cruises with the dates announced on his web site. You can check there if you want to see the dates.

Just got off the CB on 3-15, Yes amazing Bert is on and performing every night, the bar he was in had seating for about 50 and every night he had the aisles 3 deep and at least 150 people standing, it fact they gave him one of the big venues for the final night so more could fit in:D

Hope this is the case. I thought he was terrific! Kinda Jim Carey like (but with a fantastic singing voice.) Might have been the drinks I had. :o I could see where he might be a little over the top for some though. I wonder if your cruise was one of his "reunion" cruises?

It wouldn't have been a reunion cruise since those cruises have private performances for those who book as a group. They had one in January and another one is upcoming this December on the Crown. I had no idea he was performing now on the CB.

Hi!

Although Bert has moved to Nashville to pursue a song-writing career, he does fill in occasionally on a Princess ship (usually the Caribbean Princess) if he is needed. I read that he has been on the Caribbean Princess for the past couple of weeks, so it's possible that he might still be onboard. However, it's really "hit or miss."

He is planning a second "Bert Cruise" on the Crown Princess in December for those fans who want to be certain that he'll be onboard. I was on the first one on the Ruby Princess in January, and it was great. Bert performed 3 shows for the 180 fans who had booked with his travel agent, and he was available a few hours most days to mingle with his fans. However, his performances were private and only attended by those who were part of the "Bert Cruise." If anyone wants information on the December cruise, visit his website at http://www.bertstratton.com.

Reggie

To my GREAT sadness Bert Stratten was on the cruise. I think he is the worst performer I have ever seen on Princess. They stick him at the Crooker's bar which you can not avoid walking past coming from dinner. He always draws a crowd, but so does professional wrestling. He should be in the wheelhouse bar or some other venue where the people who want to see him can without subjecting him to people with taste. On his off nights there was a wonderful steel drums duo that was quite lovely to listen to and have a quiet martini.

To my GREAT sadness Bert Stratten was on the cruise. I think he is the worst performer I have ever seen on Princess. They stick him at the Crooker's bar which you can not avoid walking past coming from dinner. He always draws a crowd' date=' but so does professional wrestling. He should be in the wheelhouse bar or some other venue where the people who want to see him can without subjecting him to people with taste. On his off nights there was a wonderful steel drums duo that was quite lovely to listen to and have a quiet martini.[/quote']

And his so called sound travels throughout the ship!! :eek:

To my GREAT sadness Bert Stratten was on the cruise. I think he is the worst performer I have ever seen on Princess. They stick him at the Crooker's bar which you can not avoid walking past coming from dinner. He always draws a crowd' date=' but so does professional wrestling. He should be in the wheelhouse bar or some other venue where the people who want to see him can without subjecting him to people with taste. On his off nights there was a wonderful steel drums duo that was quite lovely to listen to and have a quiet martini.[/quote']

I agree 1000%, he's horrendous and the nights he wasn't perfroming were the nights we went to that bar

Cant understand his appeal at all

Terry

I whole heartily agree. We usually love the pianist in Crooners but after the first segment the first night of Bert, we got up and never came back. We were very disappointed by his performance. In my opinion, he was more interested in being a comedian than a musician. We had an amazing pianist and musician on the Coral Princess in Alaska last year at Crooners- Roger Carr- and we saw him every night! (he called us his groupies). We had high hopes that the musician on the CB would be just as good. He played the same songs over and over every night (we had no choice but to hear when walking by the piazza). My fiance does not use the phrase two-fer" anymore... he says it is not allowed because it give him bad memories of Bert.

With Bert, it seems that either you can't stand him or you love him.

:confused: I guess I am really out of your realm when it comes to taste. Heck, I don't even like Martinis..... But you know I do like a nice cold Pabst Blue Ribbon and some fried pork skins when I watch the wrestling championships on my TV.:D(do they have championships?)

My DH and I honestly thought he put on a very funny and entertaining show. Guess some one should break it to my hubby that he has no taste either. He will be crushed all the way from his red neck down to his white socks.:p

Gosh Darn! In 2 weeks, If I can find that there "Crookers" Bar yer talkin bout, where them steel drums are bein played I'll work on gettin me some more taste, Shoot fire...I'll even try that there high falootin' fancy Martini drink Ya'll folks with a heapin helpin of taste like.

Can they make it with Mountain Dew Ya thank? :D

Come on, guys--- let's stop the personal attacks. Bert isn't for everyone, but there's no reason to get nasty about it. I personally thought he was pretty good but his act got old fast --- a couple of times listening to him on a cruise was enough for me. To each his own, I guess.

Believe it or not, we actually saw Bert on our first cruise in 1997. It was on the old, now defunct Dolphin cruise line. I'm not sure how long Bert's been in the business, but he must have started on that cruise line. Small ship, small venue, but we enjoyed him. Haven't seen him since, but we still talk about some of his sayings.

Hi!

When people who don't like Bert have to resort to using vitriolic language and accusing his many fans of having no taste, they are actually saying much more about themselves than about Bert. Those of us who enjoy Bert know that he is an extremely talented and caring person who enjoys making people happy. The fact that Crooner's has standing room only when he performs attests to his popularity.

Of course, people have different tastes, and Bert's style certainly doesn't appeal to everyone. In fact, there isn't an entertainer in the world who is loved by all! That's why there is such a variety of entertainment on a ship. However, suggesting that hundreds of us have no taste because we enjoy something that you don't like is not only nasty but also ignorant. A little civility would go a long way on these boards!

Reggie

In my opinion you are all missing the main point about Bert. It isn't about being good or bad, talented or nontalented, or entertaining or not entertaining. I believe the real point here is that he is simply performing in the wrong venue. Crooners is billed as a martini lounge and as such is a location for enjoying a drink with good entertainment in the background. When Bert is there it is entertainment(that is really hard for me to say...sorry) with a martini lounge in the background. He is not a lounge performer and should be in a different venue onboard which would allow him to showcase what he does. Just the wrong entertainment for Crooners but possibly the correct entertainment in another location.

Hi!

When people who don't like Bert have to resort to using vitriolic language and accusing his many fans of having no taste, they are actually saying much more about themselves than about Bert. Those of us who enjoy Bert know that he is an extremely talented and caring person who enjoys making people happy. The fact that Crooner's has standing room only when he performs attests to his popularity.

Of course, people have different tastes, and Bert's style certainly doesn't appeal to everyone. In fact, there isn't an entertainer in the world who is loved by all! That's why there is such a variety of entertainment on a ship. However, suggesting that hundreds of us have no taste because we enjoy something that you don't like is not only nasty but also ignorant. A little civility would go a long way on these boards!

Reggie

I agree with you Reggie, I am a fan and no one should be so rude to say we have no taste. Bert is a wonderful and talented person and I miss seeing him which is why I went on the Bert Cruise this past January!

Let me start by saying that I enjoy live performances, especially in small settings. Let me next say that I am a 41 year old male who's favorite bands are AC/DC and Van Halen....don't know who they are....don't like there music, then you are probably TOO OLD!

I normally just stop by and look at the messages on here, seems like there is ALWAYS someone complaining aboout something. I very very rarely post as you can see but, I actually felt compelled here to do so.

My wife and I have sailed w/ Bert 4 or 5 times, we were on the recent "Bert Cruise" and in the front row every night. Some may say that I am a fan and am "partial," if you are saying that re-read my second sentence!

I enjoy 90% of ALL LIVE MUSIC. Bert does not perform ANY AC/DC or Van Halen (although I have requested it).

There are a few people that really agitated me in this thread.

1. POKEY'S MOM; "Worst Performer" Gee, what do you like? Sorry, But, I have seen quite a few horrific performers on other ships and in the Crooner's Lounge. How about when you go on a different ship and see the same performers and the same shows for the second and third times?

2. BOONE2; Had to chime in w/ a one liner......I wish I could hear Bert all through the ship (even more now because I know it would bother you).

3. TCAST; I guess you want "Sleepy time, boring" music.

4. COLO CRUISER; "41 Princess cruises" LOL! "Elite" Gee, are you pompass?

My wife and I haven't been on as many cruises as you have, I'll give you that but, YOU have to be older than me. This IS NOT Carnival, we are talking Princess which is in my opinion geared toward a younger middle aged crowd. Princess also provides (in my opinion) the best value for the dollar. The "ELITE" members enjoy all there perks on the backs of the "NON-ELITE" members (who coincidentally make up the most of the sailings)

Bert doesn't want to be in the Wheelhouse bar, nor, does Princess want him there.

Crooner's is normally dead during the day. At night I have seen as many as 8 or 10 tables of people.....Haven't seen people lining the hall way like they do w/ Bert for another performer in Crooner's or any other ship board venue. Bottom line: Princess sees MONEY! Alot of people are happy w/ Bert's performance and will sail specifically if he is on board. Also, they sell drinks during the shows. It's a Win-Win for Princess!

So, enough of the bashing! Live and let live and "to each his own"!

Say; I don't care for him (BERT) .......I don't care for Rap or Country music but, I don't hate it.

In my opinion you are all missing the main point about Bert. It isn't about being good or bad, talented or nontalented, or entertaining or not entertaining. I believe the real point here is that he is simply performing in the wrong venue. Crooners is billed as a martini lounge and as such is a location for enjoying a drink with good entertainment in the background. When Bert is there it is entertainment(that is really hard for me to say...sorry) with a martini lounge in the background. He is not a lounge performer and should be in a different venue onboard which would allow him to showcase what he does. Just the wrong entertainment for Crooners but possibly the correct entertainment in another location.

My point exactly!!!! Thank you .

He actually left actively performing on the CB last year and moved to Nashville - proving conclusively that there is, in fact, a God who is merciful :D

Agree. I always wondered if there is an increase in the amount of people overboard when he performs;).

Obviously, Samspeed is trying to make real brownie points on his first post, wonder what side of the bed he woke up on this AM........

For your responses. I do have to say that some comments were heavy with unsolicited hypercritical opinions.:confused:

Well stated, Samspeed. Variety is the spice of life! You did make a "brownie point" in my book!:D

. .I'm still not sure if Bert will be appearing during our cruise as it appears he is only filling in. If indeed he is performing, he will make our time on board even more enjoyable.

Just feel fortunate and happy to be cruising no matter what!

Hi kkochenber!

I LOVED your reply about "taste, martinis, and Mountain Dew." All of us Bert fans would love to have you onboard with us!

I hope that you get to enjoy Bert on your upcoming cruise. Please let us know if he is onboard when you sail. Whether he's there or not, have a great cruise!

Reggie

Archived