Paying to upgrade at pier

katt1

Gary, call the folks who processed the voucher for the cruise...they also have a flat upgrade list where you may be able to get an upgrade over the phone tomorrow...better than waiting until the cruise.

Hey Dave,

We already upgraded for $456 to a balcony. I would be willing to do it again for a suite. Sounds like thats not going to happen.

Guest relations has a million other things to do on turnaround day than to mess with upgrades.

Pier Coordinators (glorified check in agent) are authorized to sell them at the pier for a set price for Royal Caribbean.

Rubrrick: you have it right, we do sell any available upgrades.

Gary: The prices are similar to that. I don't remember off hand as in the last year and half we have never had an upgrade available. Our sign is collecting dust :D

Alexis: You can go ahead and do what you want with my answer above, I'm not picky :p. As long as the all the info is there, I'm happy.

I will do my very best to make sure of that. Thanks. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info in this post. We plan to speak to the pier coordinator.

Does anyone have an idea what this would cost for a 4 night cruise:

outside (Deck 3 with port hole) to

outside (higher deck, same room size, with window)?

Or outside (Deck 3 porthole) to

outside (Deck 9 SOV)?

I didn't know this! So, in theory ... if I booked an inside and upgraded to a suite (if any were available) I could save a considerable amount of money? I presume the upgrade rates are different for each cruise ... would I have to wait until I got to the pier to find out much the upgrade is? And is this upgrade facility available in Southampton or is it just US ports?

I normally book a balcony but I wonder... if it would be worth risking booking an inside? Are suites usually available?

Ru x

Incorrect........You DO NOT get extra credits for booking a suite upgrade at the pier.

I stand corrected. As I said, we've never been successful at being upgraded. I presumed that credits were based on the cabin you sailed, irrespective of how you came to be in that cabin.

Do other cruiselines, specifically X, have the same option with upgrading with the Pier Coordinator? Anyone know of price ranges or is it comparable?

Yes, they do. We've inquired with X on 2 of our 3 cruises and once we were told simply that there were no upgrades available and the other time, they said it was not likely but we could check at Guest Services after the ship had sailed (I presume because by then, they would know if there were any no-shows who would not be catching up with the ship). We decided we would rather settle in than wait and move.

Incorrect........You DO NOT get extra credits for booking a suite upgrade at the pier.

rolloman.......are you sure about your statement. We have friends that upgraded at the pier from a balcony to a JS, and instead of receiving one credit, they received two.

Now a word about upgrading to a suite. Recently, RCCL invoked a new rule for Diamond Plus passengers that states (without going to the RCCL site) that D+ members will be moved to the next level, in order of their seniority (cruise credits) from the highest on down.

I have just witnessed on the Mariner......for an April 19th sailing (of which I'm on)................I checked the availability of suites, and there were 1 OS, 11 GS and 16 JS available.

On Monday.......20 days out, when these suites were to be given out, RCCL lowered the price of the JS by $300.00 and then lowered the GS's so that they were only $100.00 higher than the GS's, and lowered the OS by $2,000.00.

By Monday night.........all OS's and GS's were gone.........and none were given to D+. Anyone that had a JS or a balcony could give a few dollars and got one. The JS's were handed out to D+ people.

The point that I'm trying to make, is that in todays market, it will be very difficult to upgrade at the pier to a suite, unless it is one that became available on the day of sailing.

Rick

rolloman.......are you sure about your statement. We have friends that upgraded at the pier from a balcony to a JS, and instead of receiving one credit, they received two.

Now a word about upgrading to a suite. Recently, RCCL invoked a new rule for Diamond Plus passengers that states (without going to the RCCL site) that D+ members will be moved to the next level, in order of their seniority (cruise credits) from the highest on down.

I have just witnessed on the Mariner......for an April 19th sailing (of which I'm on)................I checked the availability of suites, and there were 1 OS, 11 GS and 16 JS available.

On Monday.......20 days out, when these suites were to be given out, RCCL lowered the price of the JS by $300.00 and then lowered the GS's so that they were only $100.00 higher than the GS's, and lowered the OS by $2,000.00.

By Monday night.........all OS's and GS's were gone.........and none were given to D+. Anyone that had a JS or a balcony could give a few dollars and got one. The JS's were handed out to D+ people.

The point that I'm trying to make, is that in todays market, it will be very difficult to upgrade at the pier to a suite, unless it is one that became available on the day of sailing.

Rick

As with everything, I have heard a couple people say they got by, but the rule is one credit for the non suite you origionally booked. With the crackdown on everything at RCCL I would find it hard to believe someone could slip by today.

>SNIP< It was originally put on here by CC Radio. These prices are for a 7 night cruise.

Thanks to Radio who posted this a while back.

The prices below are per cabin. . . NOT per person. . .

RCI Upgrades

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

Those are the prices from the Pier Coordinator ONLY.

(RCI Revenue Dept (Miami)).

If you board the ship and upgrade at the Guest Relation

desks (On Board SHIP revenue Dept.) . . . the price you

would pay is usually MUCH Higher.

Here is a reminder. . . You must check in fully at the

check in desk, and when they hand you your Sea Pass

card. . .then it is OK to go to the Pier Coordinator to

inquire about an upgrade.

Another posting by CC Radio.

The regular Check In Counters at the Pier are for the Ships' Network(ex: Liberty of the Seas).

The Pier Coordinator will have a list of how many and what type of Cabins that were unbooked prior to the Sail date.

The pier coordinator is UNABLE to check in your Set Sail Pass. You must check in FIRST. . .then you can ask to speak to the Pier Coordinator.

The No-Shows (Customers who are booked, but never show up at the pier)are handle differently. . .

Those Upgrades may be purchased from the Guest Services Desk (Pursers Desk) However. . . those usually are at a much higher cost than the Pier Coordinator.

While the Ship is at the Pier. . .It belongs to Miami, and when the ship leaves the dock any upgrade would be a part of the Ship's Onboard Revenue. (profit )

.>SNIP<

The prices I quoted were from the Explorer of the Seas in 2004, but it has been the same price on several cruises I have taken including when I sailed on Liberty of the Seas in Jan 2008. . .The prices were the same ! The list above is for 7 Night Cruises Only !

No upgrade for me that time. . . They had a lot of U/G's for Balconies though. . but I was already in one.

I think that RCI will always offer this. There can be alot of Revenue generated from empty cabins. . .

RCI Wins, and the customer wins (those who get an U/G). . .

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is the Pier Coordinators Desk In Miami !

MPIER3.JPG

Pier Coordinator

MPIER4.JPG

The P/C Desk is all the way to the right of the Main Check In Counters. . .

MPIER.JPG

Here it is. . .

MPIER2.JPG

I stand corrected. As I said, we've never been successful at being upgraded. I presumed that credits were based on the cabin you sailed, irrespective of how you came to be in that cabin.

You were correct that you do receive two cruise credits for upgrading at the pier.

>SNIP<

Rick

Rick. . you are right ! Suite U/G's are few and far between. . . .:(

But you never know ;)

Radio

Ok..I've read the posts here. I'm still lost on exactly "where" at the pier prior to boarding is the person located? Are they at a counter? Do they have a sign? Would the average person never notice them?

thanks to all

Ok..I've read the posts here. I'm still lost on exactly "where" at the pier prior to boarding is the person located? Are they at a counter? Do they have a sign? Would the average person never notice them?

thanks to all

It will be easy to find. . . Just Check in normal, and when they hand you your SEA PASS Card. . .Ask the Rez Clerk where the P/C desk is. . . It is different for every Passenger Terminal.

You MUST Check In first, and have your SEA PASS Card *BEFORE* You go to the P/C desk.

Radio

It will be easy to find. . . Just Check in normal, and when they hand you your SEA PASS Card. . .Ask the Rez Clerk where the P/C desk is. . . It is different for every Passenger Terminal.

You MUST Check In first, and have your SEA PASS Card *BEFORE* You go to the P/C desk.

Radio

Thank you for the extra information. I have never done an upgrade and know nothing about them, at all.

I just always kept your price list and try to bring it up whenever someone asks.

Now I just bring up the whole thread. :D

This is very interesting information - I love the CC boards!

We will be on a 10 day cruise (Panama Canal) do you know what the cost for upgrade from balcony to JS is for a 10 day? We would love to have a JS this trip - the extra balcony space and closet would really be nice for a 10 day.

This is very interesting information - I love the CC boards!

We will be on a 10 day cruise (Panama Canal) do you know what the cost for upgrade from balcony to JS is for a 10 day? We would love to have a JS this trip - the extra balcony space and closet would really be nice for a 10 day.

This is a quote from the Pier Coordinator from Galveston.

:

:

:

Originally Posted by cruiseloverandagent viewpost.gif

Anyone can upgrade on any ship. It's a first come/first serve kind of thing.

The prices vary by ship/cruise length.

cruiseloverandagent is a pier coordinator in Galveston. ;)

aka, the upgrade fairy.

Just kidding.

There are two of these threads going on page one that need answers tonight.

Maybe the "upgrade fairy" can swoop over to the other one too. :D

Thank you.

Archived