Summit Med cruise shuttle service

gorettilam

Barcelona, Villefranche (Nice), France, Florence (Livorno), Rome (Civitavecchia), Naples, Santorini, Athens (piraeus), Dubrovnik and Venice.

Barcelona: The ship will almost certainly dock at Barcelona cruise terminal, which is 5 or 10 minutes walk away from the bottom of La Rambla and a Metro station. Hop-on/Hop-off buses come even closer to the cruise terminal. So no need for a shuttle bus, as such, in Barcelona.

Villefranche: I don't know about that port, but I believe you will tender in to the old harbour in Villefranche. So no shuttle bus there.

Livorno: Livorno port is a large-ish modern cargo port, and the ship will berth somewhere in it. Pedestrians are not allowed to walk around the port. If you're booked on an excursion, you will board the coach right by the ship. If you just want to go ashore then you will need to get a shuttle bus, at some cost, to get you into Livorno town. The cruise line will be running these, and there'll be information on board as to how to get tickets, when the buses will run, etc. For info about getting from Livorno town centre to anywhere else, the best bet would be to look in the 'Europe' board here on Cruise Critic: how to get from Livorno town centre to Livorno railway station is a regular topic, as is what train to get from Livorno to Florence!

Civitavecchia: again, it's a cargo port that you're not allowed to walk around; and again, excursions will depart from right by the ship. The Civitavecchia harbour authority runs its own shuttle buses around the harbour to the dock gate, and these are free. Beyond the dock gate you're on your own, of course. I don't know if the cruise line will make any shuttle bus arrangements of their own. Again, discussions about Civitavecchia port are a staple on the Europe forum.

Naples: You'll almost certainly dock at a handy berth in the old Stazion Maritima, from where you can walk ashore, walk round to the hydrofoil port, etc. However, it is just possible that you might be berthed a couple of quays away if it's busy - that happened the most recent time we were there. In that case there will probably be a shuttle bus to the front of the Stazion Maritima; there was for us. I can't remember if there was a charge for it, however: possibly not.

Santorini: you'll tender ashore, either to Athinios for excursions, or to the quay below Fira for the cable car / donkey track.

Piraeus: You'll berth round one side of the main harbour, and you can just go ashore. It's about a 15 minute walk round the harbour to the Metro station for trains into Athens.

Dubrovnik & Venice: I don't know about these ports.

The cost for the LIvorno shuttle is i believe $20. Some people were quite upset about this because other than taking a taxi or a tour it was the only way to get out of the port.

There is a shuttle in Dubrovnik. It takes you to the outside of the city walls. I did not take it so I don't know how much it was. I am sure someone else will know. If no one has answered after I get home I will look it up in the paperwork i kept.

Villefranche is a tender right to the center of town and Naples docks right there too.

Venice has a vaporetto that goes from the ship dock to St mark's square. It was $20 for a day pass.

Hope this helps.

K

It was round trip. They take you to the center of town. Which is still a little bit of a walk from the station if you want to take the train. The shuttles I believe are available upon first disembarkation. The last one howwever, was like an hour or hour and a half before the ship was scheduled to leave.

We shared a taxi with a bunch of random people from the ship on return from the train station. It was interesting. I was the only one who could speak even a little italian and some of the others were talking rudely about the driver like he couldn't understand them. Here's a news flash. HE CAN. I was quite disgusted. There was a vespa vs car accident and we were stuck in traffic and the vespa guy was not doing well. We had to do a detour. I told them what was going on. All the others could do was groan about how long it was taking to get there. It was a big todo. I think in the future i may pay the extra and go it alone or share with people i know.

I did meet some lovely people from the other ship in port on the train. They were very entertaining the whole way back.

We did the same cruise last year and agree with previous posters' comments but I noticed that you wanted to make an early start in Livorno so just a word of warning! We had the same idea but if I remember rightly the first shuttle didn't leave till 7:30 :mad: after all the tours departed and we wanted to get an early train. It's not easy to get from the town centre to the railway station either. In the end we didn't use the shuttle but met up with another couple in the same circumstances as ourselves. Between us we managed to twist a taxi driver's arm to take us to the station even though he really wanted a day trip! I would advise a Summit tour for Florence - think there's one called Florence on your own or something which at least takes you into the town. Otherwise the shuttle worked well and we used it at the other ports. Sure you'll love this cruise! :)

Yes, the ship docked near the gates and we walked along in front of all the buses to the gates - only a couple of minutes and like I said managed to persuade a taxi driver. Much easier on the way back. Lots of cruisers getting off the Florence train and we all teamed up to share the taxis waiting outside the station. Happy to help if you need any more info on other ports. We pretty much organised everything independently - loved the adventure! :)

All depends where you are docked.

Our first time was within sight of the port gates and it was easy to walk there and get the bus direct to the train station.

Our second time we were much, much, much further away. We were staying overnight and on the first day we were on an excursion and saw how far it was to get out of the port and so on the second day we used the shuttle to the town centre then caught the bus to the train station. The shuttle was $8 per person, this was on RCL so X should be similar.

Archived