Need LOTS of help with excursions!!! Health ??s too

ameliabedilia

Please give me some guidance!

There are 15 of us going on a cruise

My mom and dad- mom is not in great health (overweight) and cannot walk super far, would have trouble getting on/off a wobbly water taxi or boat.

6 healthy adults 30s and 40s

7 kids age 4-15

Itinerary is Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo.

I am trying to figure out a few shore excursion for everyone. We don't all have to be together all the time. My questions-

Mazatlan-

Could we all do Stone Island in Mazatlan? this seems like the best bet for all of us to be together.

Puerto Vallarta-

How hard would it be to do the zipline and massage? If it's possible, what should the schedule be?

What would be fun for all the kids in PV? Most of them would be too chicken/young for ziplining, but we want to take them to do something.

Cabo-

Is this any good for shopping? Could my mom do anything there? What about the kids- suggestions?

there are great excursions in each port. We have done the itinerary twice now. One of the issues we ran into with a large group/family cruise was trying to get everyone to agree on what to do. Is everyone willing to do sperate excursions?

In PV we have done the horseback excursion and I have golfed at El Tigre (beautful course)

In Maz we have golfed at El Cid and my wife has done the horseback tour

Cabo is fun but expensive. Shopping is better in the other 2 ports but there is a lot to see here. Certainly the most touristy place of the 3. We did the zipline excursion hgere last month

Ok, I will be "mom" since I am plus sized and have cruised to MR several times. In Mazatlan I love to take Randi's Happy Horses. I did ride once but now prefer to sit with Randi at Victor's and wait for the youngun's to come back. The beach is great and Randi is fun to talk to. The food is excellant. My grandkids loved it here

In PV we just went to Las Caletas and had a great time. No too much walking if you stop at the first beach. All inclusive food and drinks, even on the boat going over. Swimming was very nice there.

Cabo this last time was hard - no tours planned, it was hot and walking from the pier to the town is quite a bit of walking.

with 15 folks, I would arrange for van tours. All the ports have so much to see and the cost per person for a van tour would be nominal, even if for only a few hours, then end up at a relaxation stop for the remainder of the day. You could put all the kids on one van, and the adults in another. Memories for a lifetime!

Taking this same trip in Dec 2009 - Could someone also address the weather and any concerns. I have done the Caribbean side and you can expect 15 mins of rain every morning but then fairly nice. Any comments about what to expect on the Pacific side? Thanks much for the comments so far.

amelia~~I have health challenges too---walking and heat. In Cabo, which for me, is always too hot, I did the dolphin swim. Your mom could defininitely do that. It's just a short walk from the pier. DH will be playing golf.

I think there is a Rhythms of the Night excursion. I'm told it's not too physically challenging. I haven't booked it due to tour conflicts, but ALOT of our CC group have booked it.

Will be our first time to PV and Mazatlan. I'm booked for the sea lion swim and DH is playing golf in PV.

Pat

Taking this same trip in Dec 2009 - Could someone also address the weather and any concerns. I have done the Caribbean side and you can expect 15 mins of rain every morning but then fairly nice. Any comments about what to expect on the Pacific side? Thanks much for the comments so far.

Great weather from Cabo and points south. Rainy season is over in late September/early October and humidity/heat is way down after November 1st.

It will be cool (some say darn cold) on deck the first and last 1 1/2 days while out at sea and north of Cabo.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone! I feel better about everything now. We have decided to not stress with everyone being together on excursions because it's too many people, ages, different tastes, etc... I just want to make sure my mom can have fun but not be stressed. I would hate for her to have to step on a rickety old boat and get hurt or lose her balance.

I think we're doing Las Caletas and Stone Island. I don't really care about Cabo. May even stay on the boat.

Again, thanks for the tips!

Don't stay on the ship in Cabo. In our opinion that is the best port! We have been on 2 MR cruises and traveled on land trips many times to all of the ports but Cabo is our favorite and we now spend 2-4 weeks per year there. We first visited it on a cruise in 1994 and hope to retire there. We are currently looking for a condo.

Cabo is a tender port, but the guys will help "mom" on and off. The pier is not too long, and there is a building just off the end of the pier with lots of jewelry and souveniers. You can also get a three wheeled bicycle to take her around town. There will be guys there who will also take you on city tours or to San Jose in vans or taxis.

The walk to the end of the pier isn't over a hundred yards (I think)

A possibility for Cabo might be a snorkel cruise on a catamaran. The catamarans tend to be fairly stable which should help your mom. It's about a 3 hr trip. Lunch is served on the way back after snorkeling. It's a nice cruise up the inside of Baja California on the Sea Of Cortez. It will also include a stop by the arch as well as the sea lion colony. Your mom could snorkel or just stay on the boat if she wished. The catamaran docks are probably only a 5-10 walk (max) from the tender pier. Prices run about $30-40 per person (adults). Not sure of kids prices, could be the same.

The only downside's to this trip are that the water might be cold, between 60-70 degrees would be my guess (closer to 60 is possible). The other issue on the catamarans are the bathrooms. They can best be described as an adventure (read tiny). The exception to this might be the EcoCat which is huge and I do not have any direct experience with them. There are several great catamarans in Cabo, all have web sites. Pez Gato (currently our favorite), Tropicat, La Princesa, and the Rissalena. Most of the catamarans hold between 30-70 passengers if full (not normally the case).

Another option would be a traditional boat 40-100 passengers like Sun Riders. 2 decks to choose from, lunch is cooked on a big grill, larger bathrooms. Great company as well.

A real simple option for your mom would be do a little shopping right near the tender pier, and then a ten minute walk around the marina is a restaurant called Solomans Landing. It is just past the dolphin encounter. Great place for lunch as well as people watching. Just try to get a seat close to the boardwalk or start at one table and then asked to be moved as a better one becomes available.

Hope you have a great cruise!

• 4 months later...

Archived