Summary of pay restaurants on the Star

Levanah

Can someone provide a summary of the pay restaurants on the Star?

Which ones?

How much for each restaurant?

Thanks so much! We're really beginning to get excited for our mid-May cruise to Alaska!

This is a work in progress and these are a collection of comments, not my own:

Versailles: Deck 6; 494 persons; main dining room; breakfast, lunch, or dinner ; at the rear of the ship, divided into three seating areas each with its own set of full-height windows; very open and spacious. B, L, D

Aqua: Deck 6; 322 persons; main dining room, located mid-ship with booth-style seating along the walls, significantly fewer windows that are quite smaller than those at Versailles. At breakfast and lunch the difference in lighting is incredibly striking. Aqua feels like one huge dining room B, L, D B - breakfast for balcony passengers, buffet line with fruit, pastries, cereal, etc., with waiters filling coffee cups and serving items ordered off the menu (omelets, eggs benedict, pancakes, waffles, etc.)

Endless Summer (Tex Mex) ($10 cover): Deck 8 mid-toward aft; 136 persons; Located in the atrium area of the ship, it's in the shape of a circle with no floor in the center, making it feel incredibly open. Similarly, virtually every table is close to a window. "Mexican meets fine dining." Everyone loved their entrees (and I highly recommend the lobster tacos). you get a free margarita with your dinner D

Ginza (Asian) ($15 cover): Deck 7 mid; 114 persons;

Teppanyaki Room in Ginza ($25 cover): 12-person room with only four dinner services per evening, surf and turf, all seafood option - freshly grilled seafood. 5:30,7, 8:30

Soho Room ($15 cover): Deck 6; 102 persons; least busy of the specialty restaurants, the scallop appetizer wasn't listed as being raw on the menu, lamb w/ pistachio coating great, see the tempura cake presentation, Coriander, Garlic and Ginger Roasted Medallion of Monkfish, Sizzling Szechwan Encrusted Beef Tenderloin Steak that is served on a sizzling platter where the sauce is added at the table, tiger prawn dish that was to die for. I had the Ahi Tune Tartare with Two Caviars and the shrimp dish. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. He enjoyed the tuna tartare starter both times while I enjoyed two different dishes...one was the fois gras, I forget the other...seems like it was a soup of some sort. For entrees, he had the rack of lamb and it was incredible. I had the veal chop and it was a close second. The next time we ate there he had the veal chop and I had the tenderloin. It too was good, but nothing was better than the lamb.

Le Bistro (French)($15 cover): Deck 6; 82 persons; most elegant, very intimate feeling. large and beautiful with recessed ceilings, elaborate crown molding, exquisite wall coverings and sumptuous surroundings.

tenderloins had been cooked to a perfect medium.

Cagney's steakhouse Deck 13 mid ship; 108 persons; service excellent, but crowded and steak not up to par, Lobster tasteless, The Alaskan Crab Legs huge. Star Bar adjacent

La Trattoria, deck 12 aft, 108p, mid ship, casual, part of Market Cafe site,

Market Café: Deck 12 aft; 457 persons; casual,

big, delicious freshly baked cookies at lunch time. Chocolate chip, cranberry oatmeal, white chocolate macadamia nut, etc. They're wonderful! The secret tip is that a tray of them is also put out several times per day in the Latitudes lounge.

Blue Lagoon, deck 7 aft, 36 persons, casual

Well, most of the other cruise lines have similar included or free restaurants NCL has, the main dining rooms, the buffet, the pool bbq, a blue lagoon type fast food or sandwich place, the ice cream bar, and room service. With NCL freestyle cruising there are more surcharged restaurants: French cuisine, Italian fare, a steakhouse, Asian food, and Tex/Mex many of the other cruise lines don't offer.

On the Dawn I loved some of the food in the fee/surcharged restaurants. I would gladly pay for some of that food. I'd pay the fee at Dawn Impressions just to have the pizza and the ricotta cheesecake! or the fee at Cagny's to have the coffee espresso creme brulee! or the fee at Bamboo to have the hot and sour soup and ribs!!

Although there area alot of the fee restaurants, you can still do well going to the main dining room, buffet and Blue lagoon.

We enjoyed all 3 plus Cagney's ($20) and Endless summer. Endless summer worked out good for us, as we like Margueritas as well. Made the fee lower as that was complimentary. (like adoptatty had mentioned)

Didn't bother us paying the extra, as we enjoy the atmosphere each of the venues offered.

AdoptAtty - that was way more than I expected, but enormously helpful - thank you very much! This will be especially helpful to our family members who have never cruised before. I may print this out and take with us!

Thanks all for your responses!

Aqua feels like one huge dining room B, L, D B - breakfast for balcony passengers, buffet line with fruit, pastries, cereal, etc., with waiters filling coffee cups and serving items ordered off the menu (omelets, eggs benedict, pancakes, waffles, etc.)

Breakfast for balcony passengers? We are in a balcony cabin - does this mean we're able to eat in Aqua for breakfast? Non-balcony passengers are not?

If Aqua is one of the main dining rooms, everybody can dine there for breakfast and lunch, just like the Buffet. Its Cagneys where only the suite passengers can dine for breakfast and lunch.

Don.. just FYI..on the Star Versailles is the main dining room where breakfast is served. Aqua is for balcony and mini suite pax. 8-)

we could easily eat each evening in either of main dining rooms, the Blue Lagoon or buffet..yet we should nt be upset if they offer other venues

at a nominal fee..

now with our $150 OBC all of our of our evening s in the specialty

restraunts are already covered :p

I'm so glad you asked this question!

I appreciate the layout of the answer! It really is helpful to NCL newbies. We are looking forward to trying some of each---included and fee restaurants. At least the mini-suite comes in handy for something! LOL! We are ready to blow our OBC on the fee restaurants, too.

Patti

Archived