Cruisewear: Sandals and Socks

Chelly

Middle-Aged Mom and Pipesdream62....you are sooo right about Seattle! Hey, wearing socks and sandals is THE fashion statement here. I don't care for the look, but it is common enough. My hubby most always wears socks with sandals. Can't say as I have seen very many here wearing socks and flip flops though! That looks strange.

By the way, Pemco Insurance has made lots of commercials regarding Seattle folks' eccentricities and one of those had to do with our Seattle sock sandal fashion statement.

Wow, And I never knew I was uncool! Just shows you. OK, I guess living in seattle for 20+ years is the reason. Also, I'm a first-gen american w/ European parents, and then I don't like to have to keep my feet nice & pedicured:p. (I also smashed my toe & have a black toenail -yuk!- it may not grow out by cruise-time!:eek:)So I still can't wear sox w/ my athletic sandals (w/ long pants, NOT skirts)? Can I wear knee-hi nylons? I hate stinky sandals!:confused:But don't want to offend!:D

Nearly everyone packs sandals for cruises, right? At one time, wearing socks with sandals was a HUGE faux pas, attracting finger-pointing and snickering. Does anyone know if today, sandals and socks are an acceptable combination while cruising? What about in ports, especially Europe?

Not even in New England where I live!!

Ask the same teen about sagging jeans and underwear showing... I guess that should be OK too. :rolleyes:

First, they aren't teens, they are in their 20's. Have good jobs, are respected members of several organizations, and never wear saggy jeans.

All I was saying is, it is an acceptable fashion statement, particularly with the younger set, and in some areas of the country. Sorry that got your knickers twisted.

Ha! This is such a fun subject. Hey, we should talk about what kind of travel bag you carry. You know, when you get off the ship to visit an island. Mine is as ugly as can be. A red vinal travel bag with a travel company's logo! My husband has the exact same one!!!! It's a hoot and a holler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

First, they aren't teens, they are in their 20's.

Oops, sorry, my bad!

Have good jobs, are respected members of several organizations, and never wear saggy jeans.

All I was saying is, it is an acceptable fashion statement, particularly with the younger set, and in some areas of the country. Sorry that got your knickers twisted.

Well, I am just saying that just because something is acceptable someplace doesn't mean it is acceptable everywhere. If sandals are socks are OK, why not saggy jeans with underwear sticking out?

FYI, I don't wear knickers. :rolleyes:

Oops, sorry, my bad!

Well, I am just saying that just because something is acceptable someplace doesn't mean it is acceptable everywhere. If sandals are socks are OK, why not saggy jeans with underwear sticking out?

FYI, I don't wear knickers. :rolleyes:

How do you twist these?

pond-knickers-black-front.jpg

Uh what part of the country and what are knickers? How do knickers get twisted? have never heard that expression.

"Knickers" is a British term for ladies' underwear. I expect that if they got twisted it would make a person quite snarky-----hence the expression. ;)

JMHO

But the problem with most trends and fads in fashion are that they are usually started by the kids (teens and 20s).

Every younger generation has had their thing (from bobbing your hair, to bobby sox, to poodle skirts, Nehru jackets etc, etc, etc) Its what the kids do to fit in, make their parents crazy, or just make some kind of statement.

As with everything with kids , they change from one thing to another before you know, one minute its socks with sandals , next week it will be God knows what. its no biggie, its a part of growing up, and if the worst thing your kid ever does is show a little midriff or wears his pants below his boxers you're lucky.

What's sad is when adults start getting into these trends to look cool. Most of these fashion statements are definately geared to the young and well built. Even something like sandals with sox. ona teen you laugh and think "Crazy kids what will they think of next?" On an adult you shake your head and say *****. *LOL*

JMHO

But the problem with most trends and fads in fashion are that they are usually started by the kids (teens and 20s).

Every younger generation has had their thing (from bobbing your hair, to bobby sox, to poodle skirts, Nehru jackets etc, etc, etc) Its what the kids do to fit in, make their parents crazy, or just make some kind of statement.

As with everything with kids , they change from one thing to another before you know, one minute its socks with sandals , next week it will be God knows what. its no biggie, its a part of growing up, and if the worst thing your kid ever does is show a little midriff or wears his pants below his boxers you're lucky.

What's sad is when adults start getting into these trends to look cool. Most of these fashion statements are definately geared to the young and well built. Even something like sandals with sox. ona teen you laugh and think "Crazy kids what will they think of next?" On an adult you shake your head and say *****. *LOL*

Adults do some crazy things as well

manmates11.jpg

Adults do some crazy things as well

manmates11.jpg

*LOL* OH GOD!!!

I had a mananger at the store I worked in (1978-79) that had one in every color and wore one every day. And thought he was Mr. Smooth with the ladies *LOL* :)

Wearing socks with sandals defeats the purpose of sandals. Sandals are meant to help keep your feet cool in hot weather. If you're wearing them with socks in cooler weather, you should have switched over to regular shoes. Even up here in the "frozen tundra" we don't wear sandals & socks. Ugh.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

For most of us, yes. But for Birkenstock aficionados, no. I guess people who love Birkenstocks want to wear them in warm and cold weather, therefore the socks. That "look" - Birkenstocks and socks - is "in" with the crunchy granola types (as they're called here in the Boston area).

For most of us, yes. But for Birkenstock aficionados, no. I guess people who love Birkenstocks want to wear them in warm and cold weather, therefore the socks. That "look" - Birkenstocks and socks - is "in" with the crunchy granola types (as they're called here in the Boston area).

"The crunchy granola types " *LOL* :) :)

I love it :)

Archived