I Will Not Over Pack...I Will Not Over Pack

I am a TERRIBLE over packer!!!!!! Years ago, my ddh finally said that if he could pick up the suitcase I could pack it. That has worked out fine until a couple of years ago and I dreaded unpacking. I had ALL this stuff to re-iron and put away.

We're leaving in 25 days (but whose counting???) and I've vowed to not over pack for the first time in my life. I just thought that if I actually made a public announcement that I'd have to stick to it:p. I'm not over packing....I'm not over packing.........

Good luck!

I find the best way (for me) is to hang all my clothing on a rolling rack and place the folded items and shoes underneath the rack out of the bedroom away from the closet. Then, pack only from there and don't go back anywhere close to your closet until after the bags are packed and by the door. I have it all organized and hanging a couple of days before packing.

All accessories for the clothing are selected and hanging right with the clothing, I use little draw string bags from Chicos, but sandwich bags work just as well.

My toiletry kit is always packed, so I know I don't need any last minute items there. The toiletry bag is what used to take me hours to organize, always worrying I'd forget a crucial item. Keeping it ready all the time has simplified packing so much, I can be ready for any trip in an hour if I had to.

Well sweety, you are talking to the wrong gal here. You can see by my post! Maybe we should start a support group for overpackers..lol..Good luck! LPT:rolleyes:

There have been several of those here on the fashion board over the years :)

The only thing is, some of you just encourage each other to keep on overpacking! But packing light and looking great can be done.

The major tips are: make a list and stick to it, mix and match, pack knits that are lightweight and don't wrinkle, stop packing "what-if's", travel sized toiletries and cut back on the shoes. Only take essentials, it's a cruise, not a camping trip ;)

I am a TERRIBLE over packer!!!!!! Years ago, my ddh finally said that if he could pick up the suitcase I could pack it. That has worked out fine until a couple of years ago and I dreaded unpacking. I had ALL this stuff to re-iron and put away.

We're leaving in 25 days (but whose counting???) and I've vowed to not over pack for the first time in my life. I just thought that if I actually made a public announcement that I'd have to stick to it:p. I'm not over packing....I'm not over packing.........

yes you are. No matter how careful you try to pack, it happens. I packed for a 10 cruise and two days in a hotel and I still didn't wear everything. :p

Can I join in this "support group"? ;) I just packed last night and I definitely over-packed. Does anyone else have the problem of never quite knowing what you are going to feel like wearing on any given day or not sure what you're going to like on you on any given day? I do , thus my over packing.

I will note, the one time I totally did not over pack I was really regreting some choices and hated that I was stuck with them.

My first thought, too, was "Yes, you will"!

I am somewhat of an overpacker, but I hate not having some variety in my outfits. Plus on our TA we will have a variety of weather conditions, and I need various layers. I've hung everything I plan to take in one section of my closet, and I look it over every day to see what I can take out--or add!

Well I went to pare down the one bag with a lot of the meds and stuff. A big bottle of aloe Vera jumped in:eek: Dh and dd always get burned. We also have to have three kinds of sunscreen! We all need different kinds. I am hopeless. Dh never complains though. He likes to be prepared. I am one of those who does not know what I will want to wear til I start my day or night. I am a work in progress..LPT:(

Well I went to pare down the one bag with a lot of the meds and stuff. A big bottle of aloe Vera jumped in:eek: Dh and dd always get burned. We also have to have three kinds of sunscreen! We all need different kinds. I am hopeless. Dh never complains though. He likes to be prepared. I am one of those who does not know what I will want to wear til I start my day or night. I am a work in progress..LPT:(

Sunscreen is an item you don't want to skimp on, a small sized aloe vera bottle should be enough.

Ya'll just need to practise till you get it right....that means more cruises :)

trip to Spain (on land) this summer.. 8 days at a school venue in No. Spain, 2 sets of days on my own, and a 10 day tour in Spain and Portugal. I did a dry run (whilst I was summerizing the closets from winter)of my mix and match wardrobe. Some are dress up evenings, and some are in DoD prob. Luckily there is a laundry facility at the venue(1/2 way thru). I tried my small suitcase...it weighed 9.5 #'s empty..the big one weighed 10#'s....duh! I weighed it sans shoes, and undies..it was only 25#'s total..funny thing...I use that same bag, plus a big tote for a 5 day cruze...:confused:..why is that ? Most all articles are "Slinky, Citiknit, Chico Travellor, scrunchie reversables,folded T'ees or the I dont give a hoots. Baggage is handled for me after I get to the airport..and I only have to take it myself from taxi to hotel 2x..so I'm good..of course my "What if" sm. rolly with the important stuff, goes overhead. I took all I thought that would interact with other things..if it didnt get 3x use, it didnt get to go.I get cold on planes, and Spain is cool in the mountains at night, and all is warm in the day. So I'm on my count down !..My bug man comes every 3rd Thurs, and he seems to always see clothes hanging in my spare BR, and prob thinks.."there she goes again"

Well I pretty much finished packing and this is what we have. One huge suitcase, Dh's stuff including five dockers and several nice shirts. Five shorts. Several t=shirts...and understuff. Large bag for me..All of my daytime and casual dinner stuff and understuff. Plane size roll on for shoes for me and dh. Plane size roll on for bathroom and meds and shoe holder and laundry bag..sundries. DD has a rolling suitcase with matching carry on. She is also taking a back pack. We have two suit dress bags. I will carry on a beach tote with jewlry, camera, cruise docs, passports and two bottles of wine. I have on small airplane size one left for any last minute stuff...and we can use it to keep our last nights stuff in after we put the luggage out...I may take a few things out to lighten the load...but that is how many we will have..and I am pretty much done and can relax the next couple of days...LPT:rolleyes:

Wow and I thought I overpacked. We have 2 large suitcases PERIOD. Some of the things we do so that we can roll and tote our own luggage is:

rent a tux onboard, wear lots of black slacks (for both of us), use the ship's laundry facility (cost is well worth underpacking to us), try and limit the shoes (this is critical las they take up so much room). Absolutely loved the laundry facilities on Princess (two week over and back to Hawaii). We are on Brilliance for this May and will be able to get our bags on and off the aerobus at Barcelona airport, etc. Saves lots of money, effort, unpacking time, space in the cabin, etc. When something is deemed too dirty to wear again it goes to the cleaners onboard or into the suitcase under the bed. I never have to worry about packing on the last night as 90% of our 'stuff' in already in the bag.

Sure you won't! Have fun no matter how many suitcases you're lugging. ;-)

Boy, do I ever have that problem! Each time I keep telling myself don't over pack and still end up doing it! I am like you, just don't know what I will be in the mood to wear on any particular day! Not too mention all of the shoes! My daughter and I are cruising, so you can imagine how many shoes we will have!! Oh well, just like to be prepared and have all my outfits "match"!

I hear all you nay sayers:D. But I'm really going to try. I think last cruise I came back with about 4 pairs of short and various tops I never wore. Anything would be an improvement.

Happy.....your comment about this not being a camping trip....well, you should see my camper:eek:.....I'm prepared for just about anything.

I did pretty well this time! I really cut down on the number of bottoms -- only brought three pairs plus the ones I'll wear on the plane. Also cut down the pairs of shoes, and am bringing a reversible skirt. :) The tops, not doing so well. I like to have options on those.

I did make my "options" very lightweight matte jersey, so they don't take up much space.

Another place I cut way back was makeup.

Looks like even with my long evening gown, I will have no problem getting it all in one carry-on and one small gym bag, with room to spare for the snorkeling stuff!

I get those little travel size bottles and put stuff from the big bottles into the little ones. I've saved tons of space by not taking more of anything than I need. :)

Good luck with that one! I WAY under packed on my first cruise, and WAY over packed on my second. I am working on a balance! I am getting better. Just tell your DH that you must need more cruises to practice enough times to get it right! :p:p

Can I join in this "support group"? ;) I just packed last night and I definitely over-packed. Does anyone else have the problem of never quite knowing what you are going to feel like wearing on any given day or not sure what you're going to like on you on any given day? I do , thus my over packing.

I will note, the one time I totally did not over pack I was really regreting some choices and hated that I was stuck with them.

I keep telling myself that I will not bring along everything I own on this cruise, but I too have an over packing problem:o Who knows what they will feel like wearing on any given day. Or if you'll feel "fat" in that outfit today and look "great" in another tomorrow? I have to have choices. My BFF never brings more than the basics and already has each outfit assigned for each day. How can she know what "mood" she'll be in...pink or yellow? Hmmm...

I just pack things that I really love to wear. :) I make a master list, I take way too many flip flops, but at least they don't take up lots of room. We took our DD and her BF on their first cruise and I about died! She had more clothes come home clean than she wore! I told her now that you have to pay for weight, she will learn to be much more careful....nice reminder for me, as our next cruise will be that way, darn it!

Archived