Please offer advice for cruising with an 11 month old

Littlegoo75

Hello everyone,

I am booked to sail on the Conquest April 12-19th. Very excited, but will be cruising with our 11 month old for the first time. I have only cruised with my husband prior to this.

My son is an easy baby, not fussy at all and loves being around lots of people, so I am sure he'll enjoy it (although won't remember a thing!).

I know there are people on here that can offer some valuable advice. The in-laws are also coming along, so that will be nice as they will be happy to help with their grandson.

The in-laws are booked in a suite, and we're in a balcony a few doors down from them, so that should be nice.

If anyone can offer some valuable advice/tips, etc. that would be great! Anyone have packing lists?

Also, about dining, will the kitchen make special food upon request? Our son will almost be a year old, so he's just about ready for regular table food cut up really small.

Does Carnival supply cribs, or do I have to bring a pack-n-play with us? I would hope they would supply one since we're paying almost full price for him!

Also, they do offer babysitting while the ship is in port, right? I do not want to take him off the ship in Jamaica, and maybe not even in Cozumel, but will most likely take him on shore in Grand Cayman.

Not too long ago, I was a snotty little yuppie that didn't like little kids and babies all that much and wondered why on earth people took babies on cruises. Now I understand a lot better and feel bad for my previous attitude. I do remember my pet peeves though, so I will be sure not to put my baby in hot tubs, or the pool, and take him out of the dining room if he gets fussy or cries, and not let him crawl where people are trying to walk.

We took our 11 month on an 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise a few years ago. Overall we had a blast, but it was tough. You have the benefit of having family to help, so that will make it even better.

Celebrity provided us with a pack and play and even formula, both upon our request. The staff truly adored her and loved to stop and say hi. We took her to the main dining room only three times, had a babysitter for the formal nights, and room service or buffet other times.

Have a blast, and please don't be swayed by the grumpy old people that are going to tell you kids don't belong on cruises.

Cool. I'm trying to talk my bro and SIL into planning a cruise in the fall with their soon-to-be-born son. I figure all of us will help with the little cutie. I love kids and love seeing them on cruises. When my 20 year old was little, (pre-cruising days for me) he went on all trips with us. And he remembers a lot more than I thought he would so they really are soaking it all in!

Good for you and ENJOY!!!!

You have the biggest hurdles covered....a balcony so that you can still enjoy the "cruise atmosphere" when the little one is taking their nap...and family support.

Also know that from 10pm - 3AM for $6 an hour, Camp Carnival will babysit there at the Camp Carnival room.

Babysitting for the same $6 fee while in port is a little less consistant from ship to ship. I would check with Camp Carnival upon Embarkation to see what this particular cruise is going to offer in that area.

Personally, I would take my own PackNGo....and I would also take a small inflatable baby pool to use on the balcony (and in the shower for baby's bath).

Have a great cruise.

Best bet on the food might be the buffet. Then you can get what you want and mash it up or cut it up into the proper size pieces. There's lots of fruit available to that could be used for baby food. You could always bring one of those little baby size food processors (think some are battery operated) and mash him up some fruit in it for desserts.

I think you should have a fridge so maybe bring some small rubbermaid containers and you could put the processed fruits in there and keep them in the fridge for a quick snack.

Mine were all super gaggers so not sure what consitancy he can eat. I wouldn't plan on having the kitchen do special requests, think they are pretty busy just keeping up with regular orders.

We took our son last year when he was 14 months. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Hello everyone,

I am booked to sail on the Conquest April 12-19th. Very excited, but will be cruising with our 11 month old for the first time. I have only cruised with my husband prior to this.

My son is an easy baby, not fussy at all and loves being around lots of people, so I am sure he'll enjoy it (although won't remember a thing!).

That is the most important thing. It sounds like you know your son and his demeanor. The crew will probably dote over your son so be prepared to get a lot of attention and smiles!

I know there are people on here that can offer some valuable advice. The in-laws are also coming along, so that will be nice as they will be happy to help with their grandson.

The in-laws are booked in a suite, and we're in a balcony a few doors down from them, so that should be nice.

Yes. That will help a lot. We went with a lot of relatives and it worked beautifully.

If anyone can offer some valuable advice/tips, etc. that would be great! Anyone have packing lists?

Don't expect the same experience; it is fun but different. We spent a lot of time simply walking around the ship, hanging out in lounges, and letting our son play and people watch.

There are packing lists I've seen on the family board. We used one from there - of course you will have to modify it for your needs.

Also, about dining, will the kitchen make special food upon request? Our son will almost be a year old, so he's just about ready for regular table food cut up really small.

Yep. Every dinner service our head waiter asked us for special requests for our son. By the third night, he knew what we wanted and our son's food was brought to our table soon after we sat down.

Does Carnival supply cribs, or do I have to bring a pack-n-play with us? I would hope they would supply one since we're paying almost full price for him!

Yes. They supply a crib.

Also, they do offer babysitting while the ship is in port, right? I do not want to take him off the ship in Jamaica, and maybe not even in Cozumel, but will most likely take him on shore in Grand Cayman.

They do offer babysitting, but I don't know the times. My wife took our son into Cozumel. She didn't stray far from the ship and the shopping areas and it was fine. We also took him into Progreso to the beach next to the pier.

Have a great time!

I don't have any little ones, so I'm not sure about this, but didn't someone say that camp carnival only takes potty trained kids? Is this different in the babysitting services? Just curious.

Thanks, Carole

Camp Carnival will actually change diapers. I think they are one of the few cruise programs for children that will do it.

Yes, the babysitting is different. Camp Carnival has an age requirement of 2+ and is free. The babysitting is for all ages and is not free.

Like JD said the dining room will accomodate and make special items for you for the baby. Our son is 16 but special orders each not item not on the menu.

Mac and cheese

mashed potatoes

rice

grilled chicken

burgers

all can be ordered for the little guy and then you can cut them to size.

I think the idea of a small blow up pool is a terrific idea! You will have tub access in the grandparents suite but for enjoying on the balcony, cool idea!

Thanks so much everyone! I posted this same question on the family boards, but did not receive any responses...I guess there is a lot more traffic on this board.

I have heard different things about the babysitting while in port, if they do, great...if they don't, I won't get off of the ship in Jamaica.

We cruised when our dd was 17 months old. We took a small blow up pool to use on the balcony (worked perfectly). Other than that, we didn't pack anything extra, besides the necessities (diapers, ect). Oh, and even though she couldn't go in the pool at all, up near the children's pool, there was a playhouse to play in (we were on the Victory). She loved playing in there!

As for dinner, after the first night, our waiter had a plate of fruit waiting for our dd. He was awesome! Of course, he had 6 kids of his own back in Bali, so he understood!

I'm not sure about Camp taking little ones during port time. We took our kids with us off the ship in all 3 ports (including Jamaica). I know that for the most part, Camp is only for ages 2+, except after 10pm, when they open it up to kids of all ages for a fee.

Going on a cruise with a little one is HARD. We swore we wouldn't do it again until all our kids were old enough for Camp (which will be next year-YEAH!), but we didn't have the added benefit of having a set of grandparents along. We took our kids to Disney World last year. My ILs went along, and it made a HUGE difference. We all had a great time, and my youngest was only 9 months old! Good luck!

We are taking our kids for the first time on the Miracle in May. My 3-year old I am not so worried about - she loves camps and group settings, and the water so she will have plenty to entertain her.

My then 15-month old boy is more my worry. They are both late walkers so I just bought a new lightweight stroller as I expect he will be accompanying us just about everywhere. We, too, are lucky that my MIL is coming and will help, but I also want to have them with me quite a bit - it is a familly vacation after all.

I am prepared to not have them in the dining room if they can't handle it, and am disappointed that we can't take the little guy in the pool, but I am sure we will all have a good time. The balcony absolutely makes a difference - we got a suite this time with a wrap around balcony - just in case there are lots of naps!

AND LOTS OF SUNBLOCK!!

Good luck!

Archived