Advice on cruising with an 11 month old on Carnival Conquest

Littlegoo75

Hello everyone,

I am booked to sail on the Conquest April 12-19th. Very excited, but will be cruising with our 11 month old for the first time. I have only cruised with my husband prior to this.

My son is an easy baby, not fussy at all and loves being around lots of people, so I am sure he'll enjoy it (although won't remember a thing!).

I know there are people on here that can offer some valuable advice. The in-laws are also coming along, so that will be nice as they will be happy to help with their grandson.

The in-laws are booked in a suite, and we're in a balcony a few doors down from them, so that should be nice.

If anyone can offer some valuable advice/tips, etc. that would be great! Anyone have packing lists?

Also, about dining, will the kitchen make special food upon request? Our son will almost be a year old, so he's just about ready for regular table food cut up really small.

Does Carnival supply cribs, or do I have to bring a pack-n-play with us? I would hope they would supply one since we're paying almost full price for him!

Also, they do offer babysitting while the ship is in port, right? I do not want to take him off the ship in Jamaica, and maybe not even in Cozumel, but will most likely take him on shore in Grand Cayman.

Not too long ago, I was a snotty little yuppie that didn't like little kids and babies all that much and wondered why on earth people took babies on cruises. Now I understand a lot better and feel bad for my previous attitude. I do remember my pet peeves though, so I will be sure not to put my baby in hot tubs, or the pool, and take him out of the dining room if he gets fussy or cries, and not let him crawl where people are trying to walk.

I hope you do a review after you come back.. I will be taking my then 12 month old on a cruise on the Glory.

He is a great baby right now, loves to people watch and go from arm to arm.. Only downfall is he seems to have what hubby calls "armitis"

I have many of the same questions you have, so i hope you will tell me what did and didnt work when you come back!

We cruised last March on the Conquest with our then 14 month old. He did his first on the Ecstacy at 11 months. Both were good. I just posted a response to your thread about the port babysitting. I hope the rest of this info is helpful. If you have any other questions, just ask.

1.Cribs - You can request a crib by calling Carnival. They are nice cribs with bars on the side. They are a little smaller than our pack'n'play, but that's a good thing because it fits in the room better. Don't bother bringing your own sheets, they won't fit anyway.

2. Food - Carnival is very good with this. When we were on the Conquest my son ordered off the children's menu. We never asked for anything special, but there was always something mashed or cubed to eat.

3. Packing - I can't take credit for this one, but someone posted it a while back and I have used it again and again. Pack each complete outfit in a large ziplock and label it with the day of the week or the style of clothes. It is so much easier to find what is needed in the small confines of the cabin. Also - Pack a baby medicine kit to travel with.

4. Other - Bring a good umbrella stroller like the MacClaren Quest. If your son needs some play time to roam when Camp Carnival is closed to him, find an empty lounge and let him play. If he goes to bed at around 8, request late seating. You can feed him at the buffet or from room service before that and have a peaceful dinner while he sleeps in his stroller.

5. Bring - Bring more diapers, wipes, formula? than you think you will ever need. Bring lots of ziplocks for dirty diapers. Be sure to dress him in a tux for formal night. It makes the best picture ever.

Be prepared for the unexpected and have a great cruise.

Archived