Carnival Conquest March 8-15, 2009

tkportersat

Yep, I was born and raised here....not sure how much longer I will stick around though. City has changed a little too much for my liking :( Not sure where I will go, but after my youngest graduates from HS in 2012 I will start to figure that out. Where are you from originally??

Hey TKPorter, are you originally from San Antonio?? It's always nice to meet others from your city. :)

Can you tell me how the crime is there. We've been hearing so much about stuff going on in mexico and it spilling over in some of the cities in Texas. I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but just how safe are you walking around at night on the River walk?

Your not going to have any trouble at the River Walk, the stuff you are hearing about are border towns.

Loved your review. I have been on the Conquest on all 3 of my cruises. And going again in September. But I will get a chance to compare a smaller ship to the Conquest as I will be on the Ecstasy the week before. I have noticed a difference in the food from my first cruise in 2007 and the last cruise last month. The only 2 complaints I had on the cruise in February was no fruit punch and the tea was horrible.

And I know what you mean about San Antonio and how much it has chanced. I lived there from 1995 to 2001. Everytime I think about how much I missed SA and then I drive into the city I quickly remember why I live in Abilene now!!:D

Riverwalk is very safe, there is a huge police presence downtown. No worries.

Can you tell me how the crime is there. We've been hearing so much about stuff going on in mexico and it spilling over in some of the cities in Texas. I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but just how safe are you walking around at night on the River walk?

I love the Ecstasy, as you can see by my signature I have gone back again and again. The food and crew are awesome on that ship! I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Yep, just isn't the city it once was I am afraid......I am glad you like Abiliene.

Loved your review. I have been on the Conquest on all 3 of my cruises. And going again in September. But I will get a chance to compare a smaller ship to the Conquest as I will be on the Ecstasy the week before. I have noticed a difference in the food from my first cruise in 2007 and the last cruise last month. The only 2 complaints I had on the cruise in February was no fruit punch and the tea was horrible.

And I know what you mean about San Antonio and how much it has chanced. I lived there from 1995 to 2001. Everytime I think about how much I missed SA and then I drive into the city I quickly remember why I live in Abilene now!!:D

It used to be a big city that felt like a small town. Now they keep building new stuff to accomodate all the companies and people moving here and are abandoning older areas and it is being overrun with crime and graffiti. More and more there is not a "good" side of town anymore. The language is changing to Spanish, not just the people moving here refusing to speak English but billboards, etc. And no offense because I really don't mean to generalize but I don't know if it is some of the folks moving here or people are just not the same anymore but manners are really falling by the wayside. Texans have always been a friendly/polite bunch and that is fading here.

Thanks for the info about SA. Can you tell me how "it's changed"....of course visiting for a few days isnt the same thing as actually living there.

It used to be a big city that felt like a small town. Now they keep building new stuff to accomodate all the companies/people moving here and are abandoning older areas and it is being overrun with crime and graffiti. More and more there is not a "good" side of town anymore. It is like the city grew too fast and they couldn't keep up.....you also used to be able to get anywhere in town in 15 minutes, the traffic is not something we are used to. In the early 90's 1604 was ALL fields. The language is changing to Spanish, not just the people moving here refusing to speak English but billboards being put up that way, etc. And no offense because I really don't mean to generalize but I don't know if it is some of the folks moving here or people are just not the same anymore but manners are really falling by the wayside. Texans as a whole have always been a friendly/polite bunch and that seems to be fading here.

Thanks for the info about SA. Can you tell me how "it's changed"....of course visiting for a few days isnt the same thing as actually living there.

I'm originally from here as well. Spent two years in Turkey with my husband and we got stationed back at Lackland. We are dying for orders to get out of here. The riverwalk is probably one of the safer places to be in San Antonio, like TK said, there is a large police presence down there. You can also check out Sea World and Six Flags while you're here if you're into that type of thing.

I have stayed at the Drury Inn in SA. Very nice. There are 2 of them about a block apart. I have stayed at both. I liked them both. I love S.A., but it has gotten big over the years.

Thanks for all the info on SA. I've never been and dh hasnt been since he was a kid. We have kids so Sea World is on the list. If I can't see a whale off the side of a cruise ship I guess I gotta see one in a tank doing tricks! LOL I'm sure we'll have fun. Just gotta get that cruise out of my head for this summer.

I would call 1800carnival and give them your reservation number and tell them to put a MSG on your booking that you do not want an upgrade.

TK, maybe you will know the answer to my question. I booked 6452 online for our cruise. Is there a way I can guarantee it wont get moved or upgraded? I'd prefer to keep this room..

I have a question for you guys that just went on the Conquest. Please tell me, do they still have the bands that play live music up on the Lido deck, or did they do away with them after they put in the big screen tv?

They still had the Calypso music from time to time playing steel drums and such.

I have a question for you guys that just went on the Conquest. Please tell me, do they still have the bands that play live music up on the Lido deck, or did they do away with them after they put in the big screen tv?

Archived