Blu and Specialty Restaurants

seasearider

For those who have eaten in Blu on the Solstice, is there any night(s) you can recommend where the Blu menu is so so and we'd be better off eating in a specialty restaurant? We're sailing on March 29th and would like to try another restaurant, but not sure what evening would be the best.

Thanks for any input!!

Hi,

There were a couple of nights I didn't see anything on the menu that I was excited about ordering and in fact this turned out to be a good thing. It made me select dishes I normally wouldn't order which were terrific. One that comes to mind is the crab/mushroom risotto. That being said, I did Murano's the last night and after looking at that night's menu felt it was a good night to skip Blu. I believe that night there was a lamb and duck dish on the menu nether of which I eat. The staff were superb and I'm sure they would let you see the menu's so you could make your decision on which night would be best for you to select a specialty restaurant.

I found the waitor's recommendations spot on and would ask every night what he recommended. My servers were Pawel and Donovan. The food and service was the best I've received in several years on a cruise ship. I also went for breakfast 5 mornings because it was so enjoyable.

I was on the 3/1 cruise and found Blu to be the only reason to book Aqua Class.

Sorry to be vague on specific menu items, but I remember really struggling to find something to eat on night 2 in Blu. Also, night 5 (Tortola) we ate at Silk Harvest and then looked at the Blu menu, and we were glad we went to the specialty restaurant. Everything at Blu is prepared really really nicely but there were just those 2 nights I felt like there was nothing I wanted. Hope this helps.

Hi,

There were a couple of nights I didn't see anything on the menu that I was excited about ordering and in fact this turned out to be a good thing. It made me select dishes I normally wouldn't order which were terrific. One that comes to mind is the crab/mushroom risotto. That being said, I did Murano's the last night and after looking at that night's menu felt it was a good night to skip Blu. I believe that night there was a lamb and duck dish on the menu nether of which I eat. The staff were superb and I'm sure they would let you see the menu's so you could make your decision on which night would be best for you to select a specialty restaurant.

I found the waitor's recommendations spot on and would ask every night what he recommended. My servers were Pawel and Donovan. The food and service was the best I've received in several years on a cruise ship. I also went for breakfast 5 mornings because it was so enjoyable.

I was on the 3/1 cruise and found Blu to be the only reason to book Aqua Class.

Sorry to be vague on specific menu items, but I remember really struggling to find something to eat on night 2 in Blu. Also, night 5 (Tortola) we ate at Silk Harvest and then looked at the Blu menu, and we were glad we went to the specialty restaurant. Everything at Blu is prepared really really nicely but there were just those 2 nights I felt like there was nothing I wanted. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it. We want to go to Silk Harvest so we'll pick one of the nights we don't care for the Blu menu.

I did ont like the first formal night as they over cook fish. i did ont get there the Tortola night and hte following week i was in St M's eating. but Tortola night I liked he menu. each to their own.

Really after paying full price for a cruise, do you want to spend extra on a so specialty restaurant plus the extra tips?

2 years ago the foods offered in the specialty restaurants was the norm for the MDR.

Why not enjoy specialty restaurants in your home town or near by instead of being, in my humble opinion ripped off even more by the cruise line?

I think people who are new to cruising don't know that in the past the best of the best was served in the MDR.

Now the cruise lines are taking advantage of new cruisers because they don't know the difference.

I am sadden by this.

Really after paying full price for a cruise, do you want to spend extra on a so specialty restaurant plus the extra tips?

2 years ago the foods offered in the specialty restaurants was the norm for the MDR.

Why not enjoy specialty restaurants in your home town or near by instead of being, in my humble opinion ripped off even more by the cruise line?

I think people who are new to cruising don't know that in the past the best of the best was served in the MDR.

Now the cruise lines are taking advantage of new cruisers because they don't know the difference.

I am sadden by this.

Yes

i have 25 cruises behind me and I KNOW the better food is in a spec resturants. If you read enough posts you will see that season cruisers eat in them.

The last really good meal I have in a MDR was 2004 on Princess-since then the food has gone downhill.

Right or wrong i have a right to eat where i want to-as much as the OP or any seasoned cruiser.

Don't miss the second formal night when they serve large, succulent lobster tails. Just like the good old days in the MDR. The first night they had filet mignon to die for and the second night an excellent pan seared halibut. As I recall, the third night was off; I tried some short ribs that were tender, but not for me. The Matre'D will be happy to show you the next evening's menu upon request, so perhaps you can choose your evening 'off' that way.

Anyone else have advice on which days to skip Blu?

I would not skip any day. To us all the meals were excellent and we are glad we cancelled the night we had booked the Italian restaurant.

Blu really brought back what the meals used to be like years ago.

I would not skip any day. To us all the meals were excellent and we are glad we cancelled the night we had booked the Italian restaurant.

Blu really brought back what the meals used to be like years ago.

Thanks so much, your input is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me some examples of Blu menu food? Honestly, I am a steak and potatos gal and not really in to fru-fru fancy food. I am concerned I won't be able to find enough to eat at Blu. Do they have a steak or chicken dish each night? As long as it is on the menu, I could probably ask to have it without a crazy sauce or something. Also, can you get just plain vegetables (peas, corn, broccoli) or is this too basic? I don't eat seafood, so that option is out. My husband, however, loves everything! Thanks for any input! I never have any trouble in the MDR finding food I like, so I don't want to be stuck for 11 nights and not enjoy dinner. There is a good deal on AQ class right now that I am debating...

Can anyone give me some examples of Blu menu food? Honestly, I am a steak and potatos gal and not really in to fru-fru fancy food. I am concerned I won't be able to find enough to eat at Blu. Do they have a steak or chicken dish each night? As long as it is on the menu, I could probably ask to have it without a crazy sauce or something. Also, can you get just plain vegetables (peas, corn, broccoli) or is this too basic? I don't eat seafood, so that option is out. My husband, however, loves everything! Thanks for any input! I never have any trouble in the MDR finding food I like, so I don't want to be stuck for 11 nights and not enjoy dinner. There is a good deal on AQ class right now that I am debating...

Based on your post and what I have read about Blu, I would recommend you not book an AQ class cabin. You will not be happy eating in Blu -- go book a C1 or C2 cabin instead.

Archived